Lose the Politics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edited for softer tone

Okay I went back and listened to last week's podcast. Kevin, I believe what she did was disgusting. Period. Please don't make space or any excuse for such violence in our society. Please don't roll your eyes at me or others who point that out.
Love and respect to you.

Am I allowed to roll my eyes at this or will I get in trouble?

Eh, I don't think the politics are too bad on the show, but I think feedback is great and important to give people space to speak up. Please don't pile on folks for giving feedback.
A week ago I was at a restaurant where they were offering a dessert "suicide by chocolate" advertised quite prominently. We had been at the hospital for two weeks round the clock at the bedside of a family member who had attempted suicide. We were preparing to release them from life support and I needed mental space so my BF insisted on a day trip.
I didn't say anything because I was raw emotionally, but the cheeky, seemingly innocent promotion was VERY offensive to me.
My example is extreme but I think open feedback is excellent, I have a low tolerance for violent images, political discussions in general right now. Chopping heads off as a joke it is NOT okay and inexcusable and understand why others need/want to shield themselves. We all take turns and I am sure I will forget eventually to be as sensitive. I hope not, but it's human.
@disneyland_is_magic I am so very sorry for the loss of your family member. I hope you find peace and comfort in your loving memories in the very near future.

I can't believe the mockery that is occurring even before my comment.
I shared something personal which clearly was a mistake.
Kevin, violence is disgusting. I don't tolerate it against anyone. So yes, you and Tony can roll your eyes at me and others who stand against it all day long. Wow.
Mods. Leave this for the team to read, they need the feedback on how their words mean things.

How can you like a comment of someone who is mocking me and offer your sympathy in the next breath?
I apologize, clearly I need step off maybe permanently.
My whole point was some people would prefer if the Dis remain neutral because we are frankly sick of the political, nasty and violent nature of society. That's valid.
There are others who would like to give the team constructive feedback without getting piled on, mocked or told to leave the Dis. That's valid.
When the team(Kevin) comes and adds to the mockery, it means these boards and the Dis is neither.

How can you like a comment of someone who is mocking me and offer your sympathy in the next breath?
My whole point was some people would prefer if the Dis remain neutral because we are frankly sick of the political, nasty and violent nature of society. That's valid.
There are others who would like to give the team constructive feedback without getting piled on, mocked or told to leave the Dis. That's valid.
When the team(Kevin) comes and adds to the mockery, it means these boards and the Dis is neither.

I fully agree that there is no place for violence to be acceptable. Personally I think there is a big difference between actual violence and a bad effort at humor from a "comedian" (I also had no issue with what Ted Nugent said as I view anything any "celebrity" as a cry for attention)

I don't think Kevin was mocking the concept of violence - he was mocking Kathy Griffin and her attempt to be funny - and when people like that put it out on social media it is just to get a reaction

I don't understand why the Dis should remain neutral. They're people, who have valid opinions, and are allowed to express them. If someone can explain to me why they shouldn't be able to share their beliefs, maybe this argument would make more sense to me.

As for defending KG, I think what she did was tasteless, tacky, and wrong; however, she has a right to do it, and I will always defend that whether I agree with a person or not.

Life is political. When the CEO of Disney resigns because of something the president did, a podcast dedicated to Disney is going to talk about it. And it would sound fake and vapid if people like Kevin who clearly has strong political beliefs didn't voice his opinion.

I love Lou and WDW Radio. But he's not someone to go into controversy or voice a critical opinion on something. And that's fine his show is dedicated to the positive and I love him for it. But I don't expect him to talk about things like Trump or the Confederate flag. I do however expect it from the DIS... because this is a podcast that is outspoken, opinionated, and encourages different voices to share and defend what they believe, whether it be political or a new add-on to a Disney ticket or if Pandora is a good idea. This is a great podcast because of those discussions. And if politics sneaks in every once and a while, who cares? If you can't handle two minutes of political talk I don't think that's Kevin's fault.

So I don't know what's going on with the "mocking" and "sympathies" stuff but you can't possibly think you're being mocked by mine or Kevin's comments. It's lighthearted joking around.

Eh, I don't think the politics are too bad on the show, but I think feedback is great and important to give people space to speak up. Please don't pile on folks for giving feedback... My example is extreme but I think open feedback is excellent, I have a low tolerance for violent images, political discussions in general right now.
I've read through the thread and haven't seen a bunch of people piling on or attacking one poster. I've just seen people sharing their opinions, which is what a forum is for. You shared your prespective on violent styles of expression in an articulate way. Sometimes the politics on the show is an expression of sensitivity against violence. Confederate flags & monuments, for example, are violent images to many people, because of their link to the kidnapping, rape and torture of slaves in our nation's history. Sensitivity takes many forms, and sometimes politics is a vehicle to express that sensitivity.

Eh, I don't think the politics are too bad on the show, but I think feedback is great and important to give people space to speak up. Please don't pile on folks for giving feedback.
A week ago I was at a restaurant where they were offering a dessert "suicide by chocolate" advertised quite prominently. We had been at the hospital for two weeks round the clock at the bedside of a family member who had attempted suicide. We were preparing to release them from life support and I needed mental space so my BF insisted on a day trip.
I didn't say anything because I was raw emotionally, but the cheeky, seemingly innocent promotion was VERY offensive to me.
My example is extreme but I think open feedback is excellent, I have a low tolerance for violent images, political discussions in general right now. Chopping heads off as a joke it is NOT okay and inexcusable and understand why others need/want to shield themselves. We all take turns and I am sure I will forget eventually to be as sensitive. I hope not, but it's human.

My Dad (happy Fathers Day Dad) was hit and killed by a drunk drugged driver 100 feet from his home.

I can't tell you the number of shows that show someone being hit by a car in a humorous way.

I don't think it's funny, but I don't expect anyone to change because of my experience.

No one is above being offended. You choose how you deal with it.

I look away or change the channel.

Edited for softer tone

Okay I went back and listened to last week's podcast. Kevin, I believe what she did was disgusting. Period. Please don't make space or any excuse for such violence in our society. Please don't roll your eyes at me or others who point that out.
Love and respect to you.

You have a right to your opinion.

It's s photo and not an event.

Art depicts life and times. I believe censoring art is an attrocity.

I think it's tasteless and crude, but I defend it's existence. Walk through any museum and look at the violence depicted. The only difference is timing.

As for rolling my eyes....that was an attempt st humor that you have taken far too seriously. Roll your eyes at me and Om going to roll mine back.

Are you kidding me?
@DisneyKevin this is what happens when you roll your eyes at complaints about violence.

Freedom of expression works in two directions. I haven't seen anyone be rude or break guidelines.

I see people that disagree with you.

I can't believe the mockery that is occurring even before my comment.
I shared something personal which clearly was a mistake.
Kevin, violence is disgusting. I don't tolerate it against anyone. So yes, you and Tony can roll your eyes at me and others who stand against it all day long. Wow.
Mods. Leave this for the team to read, they need the feedback on how their words mean things.

Mockery?

Disagreeing with you is not mocking you.

I hear your "feedback" and disagree with you.

It doesn't m an Im mocking you.

This actually borders on attacking another poster.

If you feel this is a reason to leave, I will be sad to see you go.

It doesn't change my opinion that like it or hate it, Kathy Griffin has the right to make a poor choice.

I don't have to ageee or like it, but I think as Americans, everyone should defend the right of artistic expression.

If we lose that....we are sunk.

Ignorant English chap runs to the google search engine to find out what Kathy Griffin did...

Meh. I guess everyone has a cut off point, but I can see why someone would defend her here. We all know (or are fairly confident) that even if given a perfect opportunity, she wouldn't actually do that. She made a really bad joke. She had a right to make that bad joke just like you have a right to be upset by it. Bad jokes are necessary in this world, without them you never find or appreciate the really good ones.

To me, it's not funny at all. But it's not disgusting either. If you have a very low tolerance for that sort of stuff, I see how you'd be offended. It's important to remember though that nobody said the photo was ok, or funny. They just said it was ok for Kathy to make that bad choice.

Here's the most important thing (from my point of view) to take away from all of this:

Dis produces over 3 hours of original content a week. You're probably never going to agree with all 180+ minutes, whether it's Rynos view on Wonder Woman, or Kevin's view on something else. Sometimes it'll be something political you disagree with, more often it won't be. If you can't get past that, it's really sad, because they go out of their way to entertain, educate and inform us when they don't really have to- I'm sure the core business, Dreams Unlimited Travel, would do just fine without the shows, and the guys would have more free time in their week.

They do it because they ultimately want to make our days brighter. They won't always succeed, but a 98% success rate is better than no shows at all.

I hope this doesn't cross any no-politics lines. But...

I believe that the original post is more to do with lose the politics I don't agree with. We live in a society where politics has become increasingly 'tribal' and with the advent of podcasting, blogging/vlogging, youtube, social media and dedicated news channels with clear political leans it is only getting more so. Government is a reflection of the disunity in society, not a creator of this *******. The DIS team defies this, you cannot pin down the politics of any one person because all of them have expressed politic views that run the full spectrum. It is not a bunch of people with the same views, screaming into the vacuum of their own tribe. It is a dozen people from very different walks of life, different family and social situations and at different stages of their lives. But they get together and discuss Disney and all things Disney related. They raise money for a great cause, provide news/information and advice for Disney goers. And throw amazing parties for the community that has been built out of one shared love that transcends the current stratification of society.

I could care less about Pete or Kevin's political rants. Or the flag debate. In all honesty, as an outsider, it humanizes the news and the talking heads because these are real people. Not caricatures of a belief system. We live in a unique time, with the norms of society being in a state of upheaval not seen since the Industrial Revolution. Nothing exists on an island, isolated from everything else. All things interest and impact each other. Disney is no different and it would be a disservice to sanitize a presentation of the news surrounding Disney. Disneyland Paris suffers massive attendance drop for reasons we cannot discuss because a small portion of people that could be watching would be triggered by us discussing the true scope of the situation versus Disneyland Paris suffers revenue and attendance drops due to a decline in French tourism brought on by a string of terrorist attacks and a fragile European economy.

DIS Team, keeping doing what you are doing. You make a lot of people's Tuesday brighter and make our Disney trips more fun and less stressful.

I don't let the political talk bother me because I consider the source and that's their worldview. I'm able to focus on the Disney aspect and ignore the rest.

However, I heard an interesting thing this morning on the news shows discussing the current state of political discussion in this country. Someone said that in responding to the following question "Would you object if your son or daughter married someone from the opposite political party?" , in 1970 5% would object, in 2016 35% would object.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!