Looking to try a new-to-us hotel/resort in March... whatcha got?

wilbret

DIS Veteran
I am taking the 3 kids for a long weekend to let mom recharge. (She's a teacher and needs a break)
We tend to stay DVC or in one of the same places time after time. We want to try a completely new place for us, to mix things up.

Does anyone want to share their favorite spot that we might not have tried yet?

-location isn't important, we are park agnostic this trip
-we drive, so we don't need transportation
-a really cool pool/water feature would be nice (even if it's too cold, the kids can test it out and we can visit again later).
-will only be 4 of us this trip, opens up options we don't normally have.
-Suite type room is preferred, with sofa, fridge, etc
-My budget side says $125-150 (pre-fees), but my adventurous side says up to $300, at least for a couple nights.

I saw the pool and JW Marriott Grand Lakes, but that price tag is steep for this type of trip. Is it worth it? (~300/night with fees added)
Margaritaville?? $159 to $300 swing, not including fees.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

I am taking the 3 kids for a long weekend to let mom recharge. (She's a teacher and needs a break)
We tend to stay DVC or in one of the same places time after time. We want to try a completely new place for us, to mix things up.

Does anyone want to share their favorite spot that we might not have tried yet?

-location isn't important, we are park agnostic this trip
-we drive, so we don't need transportation
-a really cool pool/water feature would be nice (even if it's too cold, the kids can test it out and we can visit again later).
-will only be 4 of us this trip, opens up options we don't normally have.
-Suite type room is preferred, with sofa, fridge, etc
-My budget side says $125-150 (pre-fees), but my adventurous side says up to $300, at least for a couple nights.

I saw the pool and JW Marriott Grand Lakes, but that price tag is steep for this type of trip. Is it worth it? (~300/night with fees added)
Margaritaville?? $159 to $300 swing, not including fees.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

Portofino Bay at Universal

Check redweek. I haven’t used it but it seems to have some good deals and other posters around here have reported good results.
Thanks. Was hoping for actual resort recs based on board members’ experiences. I will check the site out.

thanks again!

I loved this place:
Holiday Inn Resort Orlando Suites Waterpark
They’re highly affordable, with big rooms, sofa and refrigerator, Waterpark, and a bank heist laser challenge laser room.
ETA: I just read some post Covid reviews that make them seem bad. We only had excellent service in years past. Those reviews seem to be purely cancellation related.

Last edited:

I loved this place:
Holiday Inn Resort Orlando Suites Waterpark
They’re highly affordable, with big rooms, sofa and refrigerator, Waterpark, and a bank heist laser challenge laser room.
ETA: I just read some post Covid reviews that make them seem bad. We only had excellent service in years past. Those reviews seem to be purely cancellation related.
We stayed there several times, the kids freaking loved it and ask to go back. They re-did the rooms, and they were nice. The hotel was in real need of an overhaul, but frankly, the kids didn't care, and they often had $99 deals for suites.

Sadly, it is closed now, and has had a rough run. :-(

I saw somewhere that another hotel may open a new Nickelodeon resort. I suspect that this specific hotel may sit empty for quite a while, but someone will likely snag it and try to operate it. It will never really be nice again unless someone pumps a ton of cash into it. I remember driving by and seeing spongebob, and really wanting to visit. I am glad our kids got to go, even though it wasn't Nick any of the times we visited.

Couple of brand new suite hotels at the Flamingo Crossing location - Home2 and Homewood - but admittedly, couldn't tell you what the pools are like. I have a stay at the Home2 starting tomorrow, so I'll report back, but prices were excellent and the hotels literally just opened this past week.

Couple of brand new suite hotels at the Flamingo Crossing location - Home2 and Homewood - but admittedly, couldn't tell you what the pools are like. I have a stay at the Home2 starting tomorrow, so I'll report back, but prices were excellent and the hotels literally just opened this past week.
Keep us posted. I have stayed at Home2 hotels before, they are pretty good, most of them are new or new-ish.

If you can snag a 1 or 2 bedroom at Harbour Lake (a Marriott Vacation Club)-one pool with pirate ship, has the activities there (bingo, daily ice cream social-this costs a bit extra), entertainment at pool, themed mini golf course, basketball court, 2nd pool has the slide. We spent 2 weeks there to get out our stir crazy this past June. My kids are older but they all had a great time here. The 2 bedroom would allow all to have their own bed too.
Otherwise-consider a Cabana Bay suite at Universal. room with 2 beds in sleeping area, living room with sofa/bed. Has fridge, sink, microwave in mini kitchenette. This resort has 2 Pools although not sure both are open right now?-may need to check; the pool with the slide was closed in January when I was there. The second pool has a lazy river. Awesome food court (Fresh made to order food-omg). Bowling alley. Far enough away from parks won't feel the pang to go probably-but you do have CityWalk a bus ride away for meals, or mini golf, or a movie.

If you can snag a 1 or 2 bedroom at Harbour Lake (a Marriott Vacation Club)-one pool with pirate ship, has the activities there (bingo, daily ice cream social-this costs a bit extra), entertainment at pool, themed mini golf course, basketball court, 2nd pool has the slide. We spent 2 weeks there to get out our stir crazy this past June. My kids are older but they all had a great time here. The 2 bedroom would allow all to have their own bed too.
Otherwise-consider a Cabana Bay suite at Universal. room with 2 beds in sleeping area, living room with sofa/bed. Has fridge, sink, microwave in mini kitchenette. This resort has 2 Pools although not sure both are open right now?-may need to check; the pool with the slide was closed in January when I was there. The second pool has a lazy river. Awesome food court (Fresh made to order food-omg). Bowling alley. Far enough away from parks won't feel the pang to go probably-but you do have CityWalk a bus ride away for meals, or mini golf, or a movie.
We had Cabana Bay booked for this past summer but canceled it, I promised the kids we’d go this summer. They are very excited about it!

Will look at Harbour Lake, thx

Love Cabana Bay at Universal Resorts. I prefer the interiorfamily suite pool view... The deluxe Resorts (Hard Rock) include Express Pass but their family value resorts like Cabana Bay offer early morn hour entry. So at least they still show appreciation for guests.

You mentioned Margaritaville and it is very nice w nearby Sunset Walk and Island H2O Live WaterPark (awesome fun opens soon already have my annual pass)...

One more location for short vacation family fun suggestion is the nearby Gaylord Palms Resort operated by Marriott. I just stayed for their Halloween themed events and returned for Holidays and they just announced Spring Time Event weekends. This resort is very creative at packing a lot into their themed events. I lived near the Gaylord in Dallas Tx area also..
. I guess they just expanded their pool with all new Cypress Springs Water Park . Check out all the Details on their website but they usually have a mini Cirque show and watching the interior lobby Interactive light display nightly from your interior balcony patio is so much fun . Who needs fireworks with this show! One thing they do not mention on their website is the live alligators living in the lobby and the daily feeding experience to watch. These alligators know it is time and they are waiting for this,young guy in shorts with a bucket of food and he has them trained to behave! It is amazing to watch! The interior is beautiful landscaping and outside a courtyard with many families sitting on lawn or throwing a frisbee , etc and a couple of oversized outdoor fireplaces to relax in evening. I know it would be a great mini-trip for my weekend with 2 grandkids and that’s why I am suggesting it.
Hope you have fun. Keep us posted if you find something better!
I have heard great things about the Lego Resort also....

Last edited:
Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress has an awesome pool and nice location near DS. Not a lot of on-site food options but a close drive to many choices.
River Island at Orange Lake is a timeshare resort and has a beautiful pool complex. Really nice units to spread out in, too. At the western end of 192.
Jimmy Buffett’s Margaritaville has a cool water park complex and super cute cottages to rent.. maybe too pricey though? Good food options.
Thise are the ones I’m familiar with but I’m sure others have great ideas!

Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress has an awesome pool and nice location near DS. Not a lot of on-site food options but a close drive to many choices.
River Island at Orange Lake is a timeshare resort and has a beautiful pool complex. Really nice units to spread out in, too. At the western end of 192.
Jimmy Buffett’s Margaritaville has a cool water park complex and super cute cottages to rent.. maybe too pricey though? Good food options.
Thise are the ones I’m familiar with but I’m sure others have great ideas!
Thanks! I’ll check those out

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!