Looking into options big enough vehicle for 7 people and drop off once we arrive and rent again 7 days later.

PolyAddict

DIS Veteran
Haven’t rented a car in decades. My question is if we want to rent something big enough for 7 people to drive there and then return and rent again before we leave 7 days later is that too much of a hassle or could it potentially save a good bit of money?

Thanks!

Unfortunately there is no one answer. You’ll need to price this out yourself and see. Most rental car agencies have additional fees for dropping off in a different location.

Driving from home or picking the car up at MCO? Yes, you could definitely save quite a bit of money if you didn’t keep the car for your entire stay, both on the rental itself and the resort parking fees.

Confused - save money over what other option?

Are you staying at a Disney hotel? Are you thinking of renting a vehicle to get from MCO to the Disney hotel, then leaving the car at the Car Care Center, then renting again to get back to MCO?

Or are you staying somewhere else? Or flying into a different airport? Or planning to spend time during your trip at someplace where Disney transportation can't take you?

Are you comparing this to Uber/Lyft/taxi? To Sunshine Flyer or Mears shuttle buses? Or are you comparing the cost of keeping the vehicle for 7 days versus returning it and renting it again?

Confused - save money over what other option?

Are you staying at a Disney hotel? Are you thinking of renting a vehicle to get from MCO to the Disney hotel, then leaving the car at the Car Care Center, then renting again to get back to MCO?

Or are you staying somewhere else? Or flying into a different airport? Or planning to spend time during your trip at someplace where Disney transportation can't take you?

Are you comparing this to Uber/Lyft/taxi? To Sunshine Flyer or Mears shuttle buses? Or are you comparing the cost of keeping the vehicle for 7 days versus returning it and renting it again?
Hi! Yes driving from Louisiana and staying on property. Then renting again to drive home 7 days later.

Have you priced it out yet? I'm pretty sure two one way rentals would probably be at least close to equal of having a single rental for the week.

Price it out, it will probably take you less than 30 minutes.

Is it a hassle no. But since Coivd(I hate saying that) one way rentals are hard to come by. Locations want their cars back. Try undercovertourist.com for a good rate.

A Suburban style car or a 15 pasenger van may be the only options for 7 people and luggage. According to what I understand it's very hard or even impossible to find a car rental with roof cargo space. The rental companies don't want scratches on their vehicles from people getting their belongings on top. Larger rentals are very hard to come by. Also, it's very costly renting larger vehicles.

Then, like already stated one way rentals are not the easiest to get. Also, it's not that convenient to drop off the car rental and get back to your resort, either.

Is it a hassle no. But since Coivd(I hate saying that) one way rentals are hard to come by. Locations want their cars back. Try undercovertourist.com for a good rate.
You need to put something in your cart to access the ‘special’ rates on undercovertourist. I just put an AMC soda or popcorn ticket in my cart for purchase. It may cost $5 or so but we found the best rates for 7 seater SUVs on UTC.

Reactions: Kae
If you’re staying on site I would think not keeping the rental for the 7 days in between would save money because you have to pay the daily parking rate plus rental rate and can use Disney transportation instead.

If you’re offsite the numbers would be different and you might be better off keeping the rental the whole time.

But you’d need to price this all out.

You need to put something in your cart to access the ‘special’ rates on undercovertourist. I just put an AMC soda or popcorn ticket in my cart for purchase. It may cost $5 or so but we found the best rates for 7 seater SUVs on UTC.
Correct. Sorry I forgot to add that. For our may trip prices were always 600ish in the end I got a rate of 236

Vehicle millage affects resale. Agencies aren't looking for a 1 or 2 day rental returned with a lot of miles.

One way rentals typically have a high drop charge, some discounts blacked out or even a limit on the amoumt of miles included. You have to price it out. When resort parking was free renting for the entire trip was the way to go.

Edited to add
Traditionally, precovid, agencies offered great one deals to FL in the fall and from FL in the spring. A need to reposition inventory to accomodate snow birds. People would drive one way andfly the other. These rates were from NE

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter