Looking for fundraising ideas for senior trip

I remember having to work and earn money for my senior trip in high school. Worked at publix for about 6 month to save.

My sons school takes their seniors to NYC and DC. It costs each student approx $1300 for the trip. Many students cannot go because of the costs so I was trying to come up with fundraising ideas for the kids who need to raise money for their trip. Any ideas on successful fundraisers?
The nursery around the corner from us hires kids to help bring plants to customers cars. Customers also need help at their home planting and setting up their new purchase. We hired 2 high schoolers a few years ago from the nursery to clear out an area on the side of the house and plant the schrubs we purchased. Took about 6 hrs and we gave them $100 each. They were very happy.

Last edited:
Thank you for your responses. Some of these kids have been fundraising and working for this for two years. We live in a small community and unfortunately some kids do not have the same resources as others to work or sell things. We really do not want to just sell overpriced stuff to raise money. That is why I was asking for suggestions. We are looking at other options too where the kids volunteer their time to work and the businesses provide a donation that they can write off. One of our local hospitals hires groups to clean up their parking lots once per month. There is a process to get on that list but we are working on it. I am of the belief that kids should put forth effort and work for their trip too.

Is this language really needed for a family friendly tmessage board

I don't see any foul language there?? What's the problem?

My bad, it was me. So sorry for all I offended with my language. I opened my computer, saw the message, it hit my funny bone just right, and irl I definitely swear too much and wasn't thinking. I just went back to edit it, but it was deleted already, but because Missoufan quoted it, it will stay on the family friendly message board for all to see I guess. Maybe Missoufan can edit their post?

Again, so sorry and hope all I offended can accept my apology. :flower3:

Do any of the restaurants in your area do % nights? Texas Roadhouse does great fundraisers around here, we sold their rolls & butter at Thanksgiving once made good money and have sold their gift cards. Maybe have a Trivia Night. Little Ceasers does Fundraising also.

I'm not sure how big your school is but for my DD's 8th grade class trips we had a community spaghetti dinner. $10 a plate. Parents volunteered to make the dinner which is super easy. Parents also made a variety of desserts. Local convenience store donated drinks. Best part was the 8th graders greeted, seated and served the visitors. They LOVED it. Made a ton of money.

We also tagged on to the holiday play at our school and sold raffle tickets for gift baskets. Actually the kids started selling the tickets before that evening. Months before we assigned a theme basket to each class (1-8 grades) and the class had to fill it. It took a little work as far as sending out reminder letters, letting parents know what was received and what we could still use. Then the PTO wrapped each basket, added a bow and it was all set. It was such a success! We had all sorts of fun baskets: bath time fun, Movie Night, Winter Fun, Spa basket, Game night, Breakfast in Bed, Books. It was a lot of fun. Drew the winners at the end of the holiday play.

My daugthers's class of 2019 just did a car wash and bake sale. Not a big money maker. The bake sale raised $62 ad car wash $152.40 total of $214.

ETA: They also do a class t-shirt at the beginning of the year. They are fundraising to help off set the cost of their senior prom and all night party.

hey have done bottle drives and made about $300.

Last edited:
If the school does this every year, why are fundraisers even needed?

If the price is too much for some families, why didn't the kids get summer jobs?

This is one reason why I hate fundraisers. It's easier for the kids to beg than to work and save up for these things.

I'm not sure how big your school is but for my DD's 8th grade class trips we had a community spaghetti dinner. $10 a plate. Parents volunteered to make the dinner which is super easy. Parents also made a variety of desserts. Local convenience store donated drinks. Best part was the 8th graders greeted, seated and served the visitors. They LOVED it. Made a ton of money.

We also tagged on to the holiday play at our school and sold raffle tickets for gift baskets. Actually the kids started selling the tickets before that evening. Months before we assigned a theme basket to each class (1-8 grades) and the class had to fill it. It took a little work as far as sending out reminder letters, letting parents know what was received and what we could still use. Then the PTO wrapped each basket, added a bow and it was all set. It was such a success! We had all sorts of fun baskets: bath time fun, Movie Night, Winter Fun, Spa basket, Game night, Breakfast in Bed, Books. It was a lot of fun. Drew the winners at the end of the holiday play.
Pretty much every fundraiser here has a tricky tray, too, plus just free standing tricky trays, with hundreds of baskets and hundreds of guests. They range from simple events in a gymnasium to multi course meals at grand wedding venues.

If the school does this every year, why are fundraisers even needed?

If the price is too much for some families, why didn't the kids get summer jobs?

This is one reason why I hate fundraisers. It's easier for the kids to beg than to work and save up for these things.

The jobs aren't there for teens the way they used to be. Around here, there are only a couple of places that hire under 18 and dozens of teens vying for every opening. And fewer and fewer moms are comfortable using teenage babysitters. I agree the kids should be working to contribute, even if it is just cutting grass or shovelling snow, but that's not going to add up to $1300 (on top of whatever else they may be having to cover during the very expensive senior year).

My question would be why, if this is an issue every year, the school doesn't shift to a less expensive senior trip. My daughter's school, which I feel nickles and dimes us to death at times because most of the school families are affluent and tend to treat $100 here and $50 there like nothing, does a fabulous senior trip at less than half that cost per student.

IMO $1300 seems an awful lot for a HS Senior trip. If most kids can't go because of the cost, maybe parents and kids should get together and figure out somewhere that more cost efficient.

My question would be why, if this is an issue every year, the school doesn't shift to a less expensive senior trip. My daughter's school, which I feel nickles and dimes us to death at times because most of the school families are affluent and tend to treat $100 here and $50 there like nothing, does a fabulous senior trip at less than half that cost per student.

Agree with Sam and Colleen; this was my thought while reading this thread. The problem with fundraisers is that it is mostly parents, relatives and friends of the students who are the ones contributing, so the families still end up paying one way or another.

$1300 is way too much for a high school trip. Is the school administration aware that it's a financial hardship for a significant portion of the class each year? If so, that's just wrong.

Why do they have to go to both Washington DC and New York, when one of those cities would be wonderful on its own? Does the cost include airfare? Could they take a bus instead to save on the cost? Or maybe scale back to a day trip to a local amusement park or an overnight campout in the woods?

I would feel terrible for the students who are unable to participate and would speak up on their behalf. Instead of coming up with fundraising ideas, how about forming a parent/student committee to discuss replacing the trip with something more affordable to all families in the community? A school should be sensitive to and inclusive of all its students. Maybe it's time to change the tradition.

Last edited:
We live in the Midwest. The trip is taken by bus to NYC and DC. I suppose it is possible for them to choose a lesser trip but this is something these students look forward to for many years. I am not sure why they choose this location but kids seem to love it. We can afford to pay our child's way but prefer that he work for it and earn it. I know other parents cannot do this so my goal was to help find ways for those kids to be able to participate. I was one of those kids in high school and did not get to go on our senior trip. We have a small class of approximately 50 kids. I would love for them all to be able to go but realize that probably will not happen. I would like to give them a realistic opportunity to work for it so there is no reason they cannot do it if they work for it. My son has been working outside of the school fundraisers to contribute to his trip and will continue to do so this year and next. Maybe I should have been more specific in my original post. I am not looking for fundraisers to sell overpriced junk or things people do not actually need or use. I am just like other parents. I do not want to buy overpriced stuff. I would rather just contribute to the cause than pay $20 for cookie dough. I was only wanting to hear if others had success with something we had not thought about. Just today we were able to secure a job with a local vineyard where our kids will be picking grapes and the business will also get a tax write off. I am also wondering about the fundraisers for things that people actually use like laundry detergent, trash bags, etc. or food that is not overly priced like rolls and pizzas. Thanks again.

My daughter's tennis team is working for the 2 local major league sports teams to work concessions at games this fall. They're going to make some decent money for new uniforms and equipment. They're also having work the games since they can handle and sell alcoholic beverages.

Is grad night and senior trip the same thing because I remember grad night but no senior trip
No. Grad night is typically an all night party, sometimes at another location (like Disneyland, or other theme park), but sometimes it's a lock-down party at the school gym, or other location.

Senior trip is usually at least a couple of days to a week long trip to a distant location for some hands on experience in a different place.

Not all graduating classes do senior trips. Or grad nights. It depends on the school.

We live in the Midwest. The trip is taken by bus to NYC and DC. I suppose it is possible for them to choose a lesser trip but this is something these students look forward to for many years. I am not sure why they choose this location but kids seem to love it. We can afford to pay our child's way but prefer that he work for it and earn it. I know other parents cannot do this so my goal was to help find ways for those kids to be able to participate. I was one of those kids in high school and did not get to go on our senior trip. We have a small class of approximately 50 kids. I would love for them all to be able to go but realize that probably will not happen. I would like to give them a realistic opportunity to work for it so there is no reason they cannot do it if they work for it. My son has been working outside of the school fundraisers to contribute to his trip and will continue to do so this year and next. Maybe I should have been more specific in my original post. I am not looking for fundraisers to sell overpriced junk or things people do not actually need or use. I am just like other parents. I do not want to buy overpriced stuff. I would rather just contribute to the cause than pay $20 for cookie dough. I was only wanting to hear if others had success with something we had not thought about. Just today we were able to secure a job with a local vineyard where our kids will be picking grapes and the business will also get a tax write off. I am also wondering about the fundraisers for things that people actually use like laundry detergent, trash bags, etc. or food that is not overly priced like rolls and pizzas. Thanks again.

If this trip is something that's done every year, why do the students not start planning and saving money well in advance? There's no reason a motivated kid couldn't start mowing lawns, say, freshman year, saving up that money for this trip, if it's so all-fired important to them? I have to say, it sounds pricey for a senior trip, and I get a little tired--okay, more than a little tired--of getting hit up for fundraisers for everything that comes down the pike. I have 4 kids of my own, I refuse to sell wrapping paper or chocolate or whatever--my kids, my problem. Put me in the camp of scaling back or cancelling the trip. I also think that HS seniors should be raising their own money (the vineyard thing sounds perfect, BTW).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter