Looking for a legal opinion - education related

This is an interesting conversation to me, because I actually had a bit of a stink with my district over our all day kindergarten registration process. Here, they publish that all day is on a first come basis and the date that registration starts. The little secret is that all the parents in the know line up and camp out overnight in order to their child into the program. Now mind you this is in Western Washington. Last year the parents were snowed on. The year I sat out is was 22 degrees. There are no facilities to use, so the parents go out into the field to urinate. My son got in, but I as so apalled by the experience that I protested it in writing at the district level for several years. Nothing has changed by the way. They claim that the alternative is the lottery and nobody is ever happy about that either.

My beef was that the current system is discriminatory, as there is no way that a single parent, or many handicapped parents could participate. In addition, it is a not published anywhere that you need to line up and sleep outside overnight if you want a spot, so any parent that doesn't know that doesn't stand a chance. In addition, I think it is ludicrous that the district knows that this occurs every single year and what the conditions are that the parents face, and yet they do nothing about it and in fact one official made a public statement that it was a good bonding experience for us parents. Seriously??

Another lawyer here – I would take your case and a $7500 retainer and tie it up in the court system. In the end though it was a fair lottery. Every child had an equal chance of being selected. Sometimes you just have bad luck. It’s almost like betting on black and then suing because the table should have had more black numbers after they take your money.

Way to again give lawyers a bad name. No wonder people don't like lawyers after posts about stealing money. Again every child did not have an equal chance of getting in. How can it be equal when one gender has a 95% chance while another gender has a 77% chance (or whatever)??

I wouldn't sue over it but posts like this are sad.

Every child that applied didn't get the same chance to enroll. I know that from the OP. I don't know, nor do I care, if the disparity is because of the sex distribution in that school age group or if it's because there is a disparity as to the % of girls vs boys who are interested in full time K. Either way the girls applying have a lower probability of being accepted then the boys.
Depends on how you look at it. Let's say there are 1,000 girls and 1,000 boys district wide. When the OP sent in the application, they had a 1:50 (2%) chance of getting DD in... the same as every other girl (AND boy) in the district.

What I don't know is if having 20 girl slots and 20 boy slots is considered discrimination or if it's permitted.
I guess that would be the key. I don't see it being discrimination and the OP can fight it, but I don't think the pros outweigh the cons, even if she wins.

Depends on how you look at it. Let's say there are 1,000 girls and 1,000 boys district wide. When the OP sent in the application, they had a 1:50 (2%) chance of getting DD in... the same as every other girl (AND boy) in the district.

I guess that would be the key. I don't see it being discrimination and the OP can fight it, but I don't think the pros outweigh the cons, even if she wins.

We don't know if the district has a 50-50 split.

The 1,000 girl number is a red herring. The chances of a girl being enrolled is related to the total number of girls who apply, not to the total number of girls who are eligible to apply.

No reason to retain an attorney, unless you're looking to create a precedent. The OP can just call the state or federal (department of education) and see if the practice constitutes prohibited sex discrimination.

I wouldn't look to create new law, just find out what the law is.

It's possible the district did their research. It's also possible this sounds fair to whoever made the decision and it was never checked.

OP, I'd let it go, it's really a lose-lose situation. So you have half day kindergarten, you will only have to deal with the halfday inconvienience for a year then you will get the full day school atmosphere. To threaten to sue is really making a mountain out of a molehill.

Here's how it is lose-lose- you don't sue, you don't win YOUR desired result but honestly you ulimately win because you are taking the high road by realizing that you need to pick your battles with a PUBLIC school and this isn't worth the battle.

If you DID sue, if you lose, you will always be the "Parent Who Sued the School." If you win, you'lll still be the "Parent who Sued the School", but now everyone will be wondering why you think you are better than everyone else. They might think that anyway, but they will really think that if you win.

Way to again give lawyers a bad name. No wonder people don't like lawyers after posts about stealing money. Again every child did not have an equal chance of getting in. How can it be equal when one gender has a 95% chance while another gender has a 77% chance (or whatever)??

I wouldn't sue over it but posts like this are sad.

That poster likes to stir the pot. I'd take what he says with a grain of salt.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter