Looking at booking Sept 2021

rfholcom

Earning My Ears
It will be mine and my husband's 40th wedding anniversary. We are taking our children, their spouses, grandchildren with their wives/girlfirends and our great grandchild. It will be 17 of us total with the youngest 3 aof them aged 8, 5 and 8 months old. My husband uses a walker so we will be renting a scooter. We own at Disney Vacation Club and are looking at a 3 bedroom and a 2 bedroom. Some of the family has been to Disney in the last couple of years. For some, it has been several years since they have been and for others, it will be their first trip. With Covid, I know everything may still be unknown and that we need to be flexible. I know that we will not be there for the 50th anniversary. We opted to go when crowds were lower. What are some "must do" things, tips with the baby as it has been 14 years since I have gone with a baby and any restaurant suggestions. I would love to do something special with the family for our anniversary. Any thoughts as to something we could do as a family? Thank you so much for any help!!

Several years ago we took an extended family trip for my grandparents 75th and 80th birthdays, which included 13 of us at the time, the youngest being my niece who was around 5, I think. We've also taken a more recent trip, just before DW shut down for Covid actually, and on that trip we had our daughter who was 10 months old at the time. So, from across multiple trips I can touch on a few things.

Firstly, if you haven't already done so, definitely have a discussion amongst everyone about how much time you expect to spend together versus individual family units breaking off and doing their own thing. On our large, extended family trip we made it a point to have dinner together every night, but not much else. That isn't to say that we never went to a ride together but it was infrequent. My aunts and uncles are not big ride people and they found it more appealing to do some of the behind the scenes things and to wander through the World Showcase in Epcot. And my dad doesn't like crowds, so he would go out for a little while, do a few things, and then head back to the resort to relax, then do the same after dinner while some of the rest of us closed out the park (or tried). Thankfully this was all discussed in advance so nobody was ever surprised or disappointed by anyone's presence or lack thereof.

Must do things are always very subjective, but for my wife and I we have to hit the thrill rides, and on our last trip we had to see Pandora at AK and Galaxy's Edge at HS. We also wanted to spend time in Toy Story Land at HS, but unfortunately because of the way that fast passes were tiered we had to choose and I am a lifelong Star Wars fan, and with a 10 month old daughter we couldn't justify spending more than one day at HS because there are only two things she could ride there, Toy Story Midway Mania and the new Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway. Our daughter did love the classic rides throughout the parks, though, and was very interested in seeing the animals on the safari ride when at AK. One thing that we discovered as a must do going forward, at least for myself, DW, and DD, is a fireworks dessert party (if they're offered). The food was good, not the best but definitely enjoyable, but the experience and the great viewing spot for the fireworks made the cost worth it without question.

For the baby, we decided to buy her a seat on the plane and keep her in her car seat. This was an added cost when she could have been in our lap but it made everyone's flight more comfortable. DW and I could read when DD dozed or talk, get up without having to hand the baby off, etc. Plus it meant a row to ourselves, which was nice. We put the car seat in the window seat and didn't have to move her until we landed, thankfully. At the time DD was doing a combination of nursing and formula, and one thing that we loved was the individual serving packets of formula. We would throw 4 or so into the diaper bag and pre-fill her bottles with water in the room. If she got hungry in line for a ride, or even on one, it was incredibly easy to tear open the packet, pour it in the bottle, shake, and feed. They are a bit more expensive but they were so convenient that, again, we found it worth the cost. And speaking of the diaper bag, keep it small. The first day we used my normal travel backpack, which is not huge but bigger than the diaper bag. The problem was we started to use the space we had and by the end of the day we were both feeling the extra weight on our shoulders. The diaper bag forced us to pare down to the essentials and our backs thanked us.

Another must do after our most recent trip that could work for a family celebration is the California Grill brunch. It's only available on Sundays and it is expensive but the food was outstanding, and who doesn't enjoy bottomless mimosas? Plus you can go back for fireworks viewing on the rooftop viewing area (again, if they are taking place) by returning and showing your receipt. Not quite as expensive and definitely more hit or miss, for our extended family trip for my grandparents birthdays we had a great experience at Ohana. We had to wait a bit to be seated all together, but it's Disney so that's hardly unexpected. We got tables put together by the windows overlooking the lagoon and were there when the fireworks show took place. However, on a later trip DW and I returned to Ohana and while we didn't have a bad experience, had it been our first impression we probably wouldn't have gone a second time because there are just so many places to try. It just wasn't anything amazing the second time, but the first time was so good that we'll still give it another try on a future trip.

I'll stop here since this turned into a novel. Good luck with the trip!

Great advice! Thank you!! We have already discussed doing things together. We know that is not going to happen. I am going to have a few times I would like everyone together, but other than those times, I know everyone will be doing their own thing. Thank you for the diaper bag advice. I will pass this along to the parents as I am sure they will want to overpack. I also read that a baby carrier is good even with a stroller for those times you are waiting in line. I love hearing that your 10 month old enjoyed the animals and the classic rides. I know the 8 month old won't remember the trip, but her parents will and I hope that it is a good experience for them. Her parents are the ones who have been to Disney the most so they will be fine just doing the things that the baby will enjoy. The last time we went to Ohana, it was ok but not great. We are ones who enjoy Whispering Canyon, but I am not sure with Covid if it is as much fun. I would like to do at least 1 special event like the dessert fireworks. I am going to check out brunch at the California Grill. That sounds great. Thank you again for your help!!!

Congratulations on 40 years of marriage! I can put some ideas out there, but of course, everything is dependent on the status of the pandemic and what WDW will have open and or available:
Dessert Party/Fireworks (Magic Kingdom): Yes, it's expensive and we did it for the first time for NYE (2019 ringing in 2020). It was nice having a sit down place to sit down, especially on the so crowded park on NYE. And it was a great view with a very nice selection of treats. I think it was worth it for NYE, I doubt I would do it if it wasn't a special occassion.
Fireworks Cruise Grand Yacht
Private Photo Session via Disney Photography: I got married at WDW and had a portrait session in the Magic Kingdom including the castle. Love, love my pictures. I think it would be nice to have those pictures celebrating your 40th.
Magic Kingdom parties: I think the Halloween festivities will be going on. That is, if they resume/bring it back.
In Room Celebration: Flowers, treats, wine, champagne from Disney florist. I had a arrival gift for my wedding guests. They did an excellent job.
Memory Maker: So you don't have to worry about getting everyone in the picture. Have everyone signed up and they can get what photos they want.
Victoria & Alberts (or something signature restaurant)
Evening Safari Experience?: I don't recall the exact name but there is a behind the scenes or a more private safari experience you can do. Afterwards their is dining.
It has been some time since I traveled with a baby. I didn't take my daughter until she was two but all those little "extra" accessories for the stroller sure came in handy. Such as a sunshield and cover protector from the rain, a attachable fan, always had extra clothes and plastic storage bags on hand. We did not take nap breaks at hotel, she took plenty in the stroller just fine. Remember there are baby areas at the park if you should forget something (like diapers) and a place for Mom to breast feed if needed (if it's open).

Congratulations on the 40th anniversary!!!
We went on a trip in late 2019 (not quite as many people as yours) with a large range of ages (7 through 67) that included a scooter and some health issues. We found that the scooter was a life saver, and a "wish we knew sooner" was that the Minnie Vans have scooter enabled vehicles (6 ADA vans) if you contact them via phone instead of the app. They are able to drive where other taxis and ride shares are not. We did the hoop-dee-doo review, and the ADA Minnie van drove us into Fort Wilderness, on the bus paths, and dropped us off 100 ft from the venue. We called for a pickup to go back to the AKL, and they met us at the same spot. The first few times we used Mears and the drivers were great helping to load and unload the scooter, but they dont have to do so (we tipped plenty as a thank you). The ADA Minnie Vans have built in ramps and winches to make it easier to load and unload.

We took more breaks, and had planned down time for the different ages. We didnt try to force "everyone" to stay together as it just wasn't possible. It was a once in a lifetime trip, and we still talk about it almost 2 years later. We found letting everyone know their own limits (or kiddos limits) while targeting a couple of big "together" events made it so everyone was more relaxed and happy.

We also did a few of the dessert parties. The Frozen Ever After party was great, as it let us see the fireworks, have some great food, then ride Frozen with everyone in a non-pressure situation.

We also planned for room time. We did a Disney Floral and Gift delivery and had a few board games (Disney Haunted Mansion Clue was a big hit) and park treats delivered. We also ordered from Garden Grocer so that the folks that may not be able to go to an early breakfast or may miss a lunch had something to munch on. We just planned for eventualities and then just went with what worked while we were there.

It was a lot of work for my wife and I (we are the ones who organized and made everything happen), but to be able to see my parents (who thought they would never be able to go to Disney again due to health issues) in front of the castle with their grandkids, was worth every second of planning.

The other posts hit on a number of great suggestions, one I might add is that as a DVC member, you have access to the Top of the World Lounge at the Contemporary. They were allowing members to book special events for a while, but even without that - the views are amazing, the menu is ok (apps), but for a large range of ages it cant be beat for firework viewing.

I'm assuming you're going in early to mid September, be prepared for it to be hotter than the sun and/or hurricane disruptions.

My concern is the first trip people- what will happen if what they think Disney is doesn't match with reality at that point in time? Maybe it's a non issue, but I'd want to make sure that there isn't a mismatch between expectations and the potential reality

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter