Live Trip Report

Today's update:

We left Emerald Island shortly after 8:30 am to get to DeLeon State Park. It took us a little longer than we thought and it was almost 10 am by the time we had parked up.

It was a lot busier than we expected with lots of locals who had brought picnics, barbecues etc. There were lots of large Spanish-speaking family groups. We found the old Spanish Sugar Mill restaurant but there was already a wait of 30-40 mins for a table.

While we waited, we had a look at the swimming lake and booked for the 1:00 pm 'Fountain of Youth' boat trip. The lake was full of kids having fun - not particularly peaceful!

Our name was called out over the tannoy and we were quickly seated at a table with a large griddle in the centre. The house speciality is self-cooked pancakes, which we opted to try. The waitress then brings you jugs of pancake batter (white and mixed grain) and gives you instructions on how to cook them. You can pay extra for fruit, nuts etc, but syrup, honey and molasses are provided in the price. The waitress will bring more batter if you want more. You can also cook eggs on the griddle, while the kitchen will cook bacon, ham etc.

We managed to make some good blueberry pancakes after a liitle practice, but it was hot work sitting by the griddle.

The boat trip at 1:00 pm was really enjoyable - the 'crew' were a couple of old-timers with lots of knowledge of the local area and its flora and fauna. The pointed out gators, turtles, ospreys etc etc. It was a really peaceful trip - in stark contrast to the boistrous atmosphere of the swimming lake.

We left the park at around 3 and it was raining heavily when we got back. We lazed by the clubhouse pool for a while when we got back to Emerald Island.

We ate at the Orlando Ale House which has recently opened on the W 192. DH had fish and chips and I had chicken fajitas. DH enjoyed his, but I'd have preferred mine to be spicier. Service wasn't great. Purely for the sake of research, I had to try a margarita, which was pretty good but not as good as those at Manny's.

Tomorrow's plans are not definite yet - we have tickets for NASCAR ridealongs at Richard Petty's and we want to try Captain Turbo's power boats, but we haven't checked availability for tomorrow yet.

Will let you know how it goes.

Sounds good to me. Love the sound of the Spanish Sugar Mill and am interested to hear your comments on the Orlando Ale House. We're looking forward to trying the new eateries there when we visit in July. :thumbsup2 Have a great day again today. :yay::yay:

Mrs TT

Lovin your live trip report!! :)
we went to de leon a couple of yrs ago, and it was very quiet(october time)
i didnt like the pancake mix though, thought it was too thick and taste horrible!:rotfl:
Enjoy Nascar :goodvibes

enjoying your live trip report!!!!

did you fly on US Air? how was it?

how far is your townhouse from disney world?
is it a private home rental or a resort condo type place?
how do you like it there?

which sweet tomatoes did you eat in?
i've found the once near WDW is particularly crowded, unless you pick a really off time to eat (say at 3 in the afternoon)...

enjoying your live trip report!!!!

did you fly on US Air? how was it?

how far is your townhouse from disney world?
is it a private home rental or a resort condo type place?
how do you like it there?

which sweet tomatoes did you eat in?
i've found the once near WDW is particularly crowded, unless you pick a really off time to eat (say at 3 in the afternoon)...

Yes - we flew with US Airways. We always fly with them to Orlando. It was OK. Large group of men going to Vegas on the flight to Philly. They were quite noisy but the vrew limited their alcohol intake - which was a blessing! The lunch served was ok - but the sandwich we got later was not good. Delayed on runway at Philly, due to a technical problem.

Travelling indirect in economy is rarely going to be fantastic, but it was OK.

The townhouse is very close to Animal Kingdom via Sherberth Road - about 10 mins away. We rent it from a British family who live in the UK and have rented it from them a few times now. It's ideal for us. Free wifi and free calls to the UK are included.

We ate in the Kirkman Rd/I-Drive Sweet Tomatoes. I prefer it to the newer one.

Just had a nice breakfast in Cracker Barrel - nice fresh fruit and yoghurt as well as the usual eggs etc. It's noticeably quieter today. The waiter was telling us that most tourists seem to have gone home.

Yes - we flew with US Airways. We always fly with them to Orlando. It was OK. Large group of men going to Vegas on the flight to Philly. They were quite noisy but the vrew limited their alcohol intake - which was a blessing! The lunch served was ok - but the sandwich we got later was not good. Delayed on runway at Philly, due to a technical problem.

Travelling indirect in economy is rarely going to be fantastic, but it was OK.

The townhouse is very close to Animal Kingdom via Sherberth Road - about 10 mins away. We rent it from a British family who live in the UK and have rented it from them a few times now. It's ideal for us. Free wifi and free calls to the UK are included.

We ate in the Kirkman Rd/I-Drive Sweet Tomatoes. I prefer it to the newer one.

Just had a nice breakfast in Cracker Barrel - nice fresh fruit and yoghurt as well as the usual eggs etc. It's noticeably quieter today. The waiter was telling us that most tourists seem to have gone home.

i prefer that sweet tomatoes too....less of a warehouse feel to it...

does the british family rent to others? or just to friends?
does the townhouse have 3 BRs?
i've begun considering renting a 3 BR townhouse or villa in august..
anything to get the total cost down - this time it's 3 couples (DD and husband, DS and wife and us), so it's just too costly to stay onsite as we have in the past...

Hi Beth. Yes, they do rent out to others. We don't know them personally. DH found their website.

It has 3 bedrooms (one kingsize with an en-suite bathroom, one double and a twin and a family bathroom).

I'll PM you later with their website/contact details.

Hi Beth. Yes, they do rent out to others. We don't know them personally. DH found their website.

It has 3 bedrooms (one kingsize with an en-suite bathroom, one double and a twin and a family bathroom).

I'll PM you later with their website/contact details.

thanks ! :goodvibes

Nice description of your time at the State Park. Could you walk around to see any of the park and river?

We went to see the manatees in December and enjoyed that.

We also ate at the ale house and enjoyed our meals - both DH & DD want to go again if we get back some time. We also tried the Olive Garden across the road and that was good too :)

Hi everyone!

We had had a fantastic day today. It was all about speed! :thumbsup2

This morning we did our Richard Petty ridealongs. 3 laps each as a passenger in a NASCAR. One word - WOW! So much fun!

Managed to get the camera upload working so here I am!

P4260041.jpg

This afternoon we continued the speed theme and went to meet Captain Turbo at East Lake Fish Camp - where they also do the Boggy Creek Airboat rides. One word - AWESOME! The guys queuing to do the airboats were seriously envious when they saw (and heard) the power boat we were about to ride in! TJ aka Captain Turbo is quite a character and very passionate about his boat and making sure his customers have an experience to remember. He took the two of us out onto the lake where we experienced speeds up to 80 mph!

I'll add a photo or two later.

Here's a couple from yesterday at the state park.

The old sugar mill and the pancake making.

P4250001.jpg

P4250012.jpg

Nice description of your time at the State Park. Could you walk around to see any of the park and river?

Yes - we did a short trail through the park and saw 'Methusalah' - the ancient cypress tree.The longer walk required sturdy footwear and you had to inform the ranger before undertaking it - we didn't really have the time to do it - and it was rather hot too.

Got so carried away with the speed stuff we did today, I forgot to mention the other things we did.

It was raining as we finished our boat ride, so we went to Florida Mall. DH bought some new shorts and a t-shirt. I bought some Bare Escentuals make up and some Paul Mitchell hair products.

Dinner tonight was at Tony Roma's on I-Drive. We both had Ribeye Steaks with Fries and salad. Food and service were both pretty good. Had a night off from the margarita research - was still high on adrenaline!

The weather forecast tomorrow isn't looking too good - with thunderstorms expected. We had been planning to go to St Augustine, but probbaly won't be going now. We may go later in the week.

Keeping the plan for tomorrow flexible for now.

Sounds like a great day, shame weather is not good enough for St Augustine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter