List of changes since summer 2014

Olaf also meets guests in the Hollywood Backlot Area, outside (and kind of out of sight) of Stage 17 (between Stage 17 and Monsters Inc., Mike & Sulley to the Rescue!). While the Mark Twain is not in use, Princess Tiana, Dr. Facillier, and Louis meet guests there.

I know that you weren't really looking for character meet and greets, but Anna & Elsa now meet in the Animation building in DCA.

I'm now adding character meet and greets as well since several people have mentioned them. I just didn't have them on my original list but it would be great to have them for anyone else who might use this. Thanks!

Food prices have skyrocketed.
They really have. The regular souvenir popcorn buckets went from $6 last year to $8.50 this year. They also have standard allergy menus available a most restaurants (implemented within the past year).

Strollers are now banned from the Animation Building. Ursula's Lair (where you got to sing, after visiting the Beast's Library) is closed.

They no longer take you word for Rider Swap at Space Mountain (everyone has to go up that ramp).

I would expand the Rider Swap note to say that guests should be prepared to take the child to the entrance of the attraction in all cases. There was a thread a while ago that indicated they've started cracking down on Rider Swap at many of the attractions. It might depend a bit on the CM you get, but better safe than sorry.

Another food item...late last year, they switched to Pop Secret as the official popcorn of Disneyland (and WDW). Also late last year, they finished the Cove Bar expansion.

I would expand the Rider Swap note to say that guests should be prepared to take the child to the entrance of the attraction in all cases. There was a thread a while ago that indicated they've started cracking down on Rider Swap at many of the attractions. It might depend a bit on the CM you get, but better safe than sorry.
True. We always take her to the entrance except at Space Mountain, I had assumed it was always required at the other rides.

I would also add the new additions to Star Tours, where you can visit Jakku and you get an update on your mission from BB-8 (plus the addition of easter eggs to many of the other segments).

Also, there are the cool "forced perspective" 60th anniversary photo spots in both parks.

No selfie sticks allowed in the parks.
Metal detectors at bag check (random selection at DtD and Harbor locations, every guest at GCH entrance to DCA)
Dress code changes: costumes may not be worn by guests ages 14 and older.

Saw this in another thread (thx guynhawaii) and am adding it:

Downtown Disney Quiksilver/ Roxy store. Going out of business in July. Currently having a storewide 40% sale for all Quiksilver/ Roxy merchandise. Bought a lot of shorts and shirts for the family!!!

Last edited:
I don't know; I copied that from another post but I can't find it now. I know there's one at Epcot but now that you mention it, I don't know of one at DCA. I'll remove it -- thanks!

Thank you for this thread BriannaRuth!!

Updating original post from here.

It's surprising how many changes there are when you list every one. Come back after being gone a year and a half and think you know everything -- not so!

I haven't been to DL since Disneylands 50th birthday!!! It sounds SO different!! Pop secret popcorn?! The path from frontierland/fantasyland closed!! The trains not running!! Any idea when they may open again? We want to make a February trip!

The closure of the Big Thunder Trail is part of the prep work for Star Wars Land, as is the temporary closure of the train, Tom Sawyers Island, the Rivers of America, and F!. They have not yet announced a re-opening date, although the most common rumors seem to focus on April for some of these things (I'd go with a vague Spring/Summer 2017 target re-opening date at this point).

I love Disneyland popcorn, but honestly I didn't notice a difference in flavor, texture, etc. when they switched to Pop Secret from Orville Redenbacher's. So it's still very yummy!

You're welcome, SunnieRN!

Adding the dates I've read about here for re-openings since it seems to be a common question. Also adding change in Frozen FPs to specific sections and discontinuation of tours to the list.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter