List of changes since summer 2014

BriannaRuth

DIS Veteran
UPDATED 6/25/17 through Post #91

CHANGES TO FAST PASS SYSTEM

FastPass is now linked through both parks. You can no longer get a FP in one park, then get another FP from the other park before your 2-hour window is closed (or before the time of your next FP, whichever comes first).

Park tickets/AP Passes are now scanned at the attraction instead of paper FPs. You still need to get a paper FP, but it will be added to your ticket digitally at the FP machine. Paper FPs now act as "reminders" rather than actual passes. At some attractions, your ticket will be scanned twice; once on entering the FP line and once farther up. This may make designating a FP runner less plausible since you will not be able to give a runner your ticket if you are in line for a FP attraction. It has also made gifting spare FPs to others not possible, unless it is someone you trust with your ticket.

MaxPass
system coming soon, there will be a cost but unknown at this time what that will be, will provide the ability to reserve FPs via an app, no announced date or other specifics yet

You can sometimes get FPs for attractions that are down. Previously FP machines were closed for attractions that were down.

The minimum 40-minute wait between pulling a FP and its earliest return time is gone.
Some FPs have immediate return times.

Matterhorn
and Toy Story Midway Mania now have FP

Buzz Lightyear FPs are now connected. Buzz and Star Tours FPs are still in the same location near Buzz, but there are now separate lines for each.

WoC
FPs are now being distributed via mobile carts near Little Mermaid (San Francisco street area, closer to the GRR end of the street).

Space, TSMM, GOtG, and RSR FPs all reported available during MM.

STAR WARS LAND CONSTRUCTION CLOSURES - all reopen no later than July 29

BIG THUNDER WALKWAY
-- Has reopened
BIG THUNDER RANCH -- Permanently closed (includes BBQ, petting zoo, etc. but not BTMRR)
DISNEYLAND RAILROAD - Reopens July 29
FANTASMIC! -- Scheduled to reopen July 17
TOM SAWYER ISLAND / PIRATE'S LAIR -- Reopened June 16
RIVERS OF AMERICA --All remaining attractions (including Davy Crockett, Mark Twain, Columbia) reopen July 29

OTHER DL REFURBS/CHANGES

AUTOTOPIA - Now sponsored by Honda, refurbed, no longer using FPs
BIG THUNDER MOUNTAIN RAILROAD -- new ending in 2014
CASTLE HERALDRY SHOP is now the CASTLE HOLIDAY SHOP
HAUNTED MANSION
-- Hatbox Ghost has re-materialized (HM is also using FP on a daily basis)
INNOVENTIONS/CAROSEL OF PROGRESS -- Closed
JEDI TRAINING --Now done by signing up (used to be randomly selected from the crowd during the show). Child must be present at podium to sign up.
MAIN STREET ELECTRICAL PARADE -- Running through August 20, 2017
MATTERHORN - Refurbed, including addition of seat cushions
PANDORA STORE -- Now in NOS; replaced a pin store
PETER PAN - refurbed
SPACE MOUNTAIN - Has Star Wars overlay; Hyperspace Mountain. Crackdown on rider swap; kids need to go up to the entrance.
STAR TOURS - You can visit Jakku and you get an update on your mission from BB-8 (plus the addition of easter eggs to many of the other segments).

DL - NEW / MOVED CHARACTER MEET AND GREETS

ANNA, ELSA and OLAF are now at DCA
BOBA FETT, DARTH VADAR and CHEWBACCA greet guests in STAR WARS LAUNCH BAY
GASTON, BEAST (with Belle) and ELENA can sometimes be found in Fantasyland
JACK SPARROW can sometimes be found near Pirates

DISNEYLAND DINING

ALADDIN'S OASIS - Now serving to-go food w/MSEP preferred viewing area at IASW
BIG THUNDER BBQ - Closed
BLUE BAYOU - Now offers MSEP reserved viewing package
GALACTIC GRILL -- Star Wars themed Quick Serve in Tomorrowland that replaced TOMORROWLAND TERRACE. Serves burgers, etc. Also serves breakfast. Has droid-shaped Rice Krispies treats and Star Wars souvenir light-ups.
HARBOR GALLEY/TROUBADOR - Stuffed Baked Potatoes moved from Harbor Galley to the Troubadour out by Mickey and the Magical Map
HUNGRY BEAR CAFE/CAFE ORLEANS - Fried Green Tomato Sandwich now at Café Orleans instead of Hungry Bear. Churro Funnel Cakes - yummy, possibly new
RIVER BELLE TERRACE/RANCHO DEL ZOCALO -- RBT no longer serves breakfast and is no longer quick serve. Many of those items (and more!) are now at RDZ. RBT is now table service with BBQ themed menu.
VILLAGE HAUS is now the RED ROSE TAVERN and features Beauty and the Beast themed items including a very popular souvenir cup in conjunction with the B&B movie. No word on how long this will last.

OTHER DCA REFURBS/CHANGES

ANIMATION ACADEMY -- Strollers are no longer allowed. Ursula's Lair (singing) is closed.
ARIEL'S UNDERSEA ADVENTURE -- refurbished in 2014 with hand-drawn animation replacing the computer drawn images, changes to the animatronics, and lighting
CONDOR FLATS -- Re-themed to Grizzly Peaks Airfield
HYPERION THEATER -- Aladdin closed, now showing Frozen. No FPs.
GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY -- Now open, replaced TOWER OF TERROR
LUIGI'S FLYING TIRES
-- closed, replaced with LUIGI'S ROADSTERS
MAD T PARTY
- Gone.
MUPPET THEATER -- has been renamed SUNSET SHOWCASE THEATER and is being used to show extended previews of upcoming movies
SOARIN' - new film, no longer California
SUMMER OF HEROES -- Limited time celebration, summer of 2017, featuring Dance Off, Super Hero Encounters, Avengers Training Initiative (similar to Jedi training), Black Widow character encounter, and special themed merchandise and food in Hollywood Land.
WORLD OF COLOR (WoC) - First show offers Dessert Party with reserved seating (actual seats).

DCA - NEW/MOVED CHARACTER MEET AND GREETS

ANNA and ELSA -- Now at Animation Building at DCA
BLACK WIDOW -- In Hollywood Land for Summer of Heroes
CAPTAIN AMERICA and SPIDERMAN -- Sunset Blvd (old Monsters Inc. M&G location)
MATER, McQUEEN and RED, the fire engine, may be seen at Filmore's and/or Cozy Cone.
NICK WILDE and JUDY HOPPS from Zootopia -- Hollywood Blvd (location may move throughou t the day; Nick has been sighted near Little Mermaid)
OLAF and KRISTOFF -- Animation Building

DCA DINING
TEST PILOT'S GRILL -- Re-themed to SMOKE JUMPER'S GRILL
WoC DESSERT PARTY -- as noted above

DOWNTOWN DISNEY
New shops since 2014 -- CHAPEL HATS, CURL, PANDORA, SPRINKLES, STARBUCKS
HOUSE OF BLUES
-- Closed
LITTLE MISSMATCHED -- Closed
PARKING FEES for DTD have changed, see post below by theluckyrabbit for details
QUIKSILVER/ROXY -- Closed

OTHER MISC
NEW RULES -- Costumes may not be worn by guests ages 14 and older. No selfie sticks allowed in the parks.

BAG CHECK/SECURITY PROCEDURES -- Metal detectors at bag check. All guests 14 and over go through the metal detectors. (You may request being wanded instead.)

Bag Check/Security locations have moved: West side security has now moved from the west edge of the esplanade (by La Brea Bakery) to the western end of DtD. There is one checkpoint between EOS and ESPN Zone (this is for DLH and PPH guests, as well as other guests coming from that direction). There is another DtD checkpoint between ESPN Zone and Rainforest Cafe (for guests entering from the Lilo and Stitch parking lots). There is another security checkpoint at M&F before you board the tram. Coming from M&F, you have the choice to go through security there and board the tram or walk to DtD and go through security there. When you enter DTD by Sephora/GCH you will go through security.

GCH Area Entry Changes -- The turnoff to DtD from Disneyland Dr. just north of the entrance to the GCH is now closed. The front entrace to the GCH is now for registered guests only (CMs will ask to see your room key) or for those with a restaurant reservation (have your confirmation number ready; CMs have a list of that day's reservations). Other guests will be directed across the street toward the DtD checkpoint by EOS and ESPN Zone. You can enter the GCH from DtD by Sephora without going through security, but entering DTD from here you will have to go through security.

It may sound rather complicated, but it really isn't. Things are running quite smoothly now.

PANDORA BEADS -- Now available at several locations throughout the park, including Pandora in NOS, Elias & Co in DCA, Uptown Jewelers/Emporium Complex, Off the Page in DCA, and Pandora store in DtD.

PHOTOPASS / PHOTOPASS PLUS -- Photopass is now done on the DL app/online. You no longer purchase attraction or character dining photos in person; they are linked through the app. Can be viewed and purchased online via computer or on your smartphone at https://disneyland.disney.go.com/photopass/products. PP+ is available for a single day or for a week. You have 45 days to download photos; can also purchase additional time to download online.

RIDER SWAP
-- Be prepared to take child to entrance; they are cracking down on rider swap on all attractions.
POPCORN - Pop Secret is now the official popcorn.
TOURS -- All tours except Walk in Walt's Footsteps discontinued "indefinitely"
AP - Premium APs no longer for sale. Replaced by Signature and Signature Plus APs. PhotoPass and parking are included with both those pass levels. Signature APs are blocked for the last 2 weeks of the year. Signature Plus has no block out days. SoCal pass is back.

Last edited:
There is also a PTN dining package for Blue Bayou in front of the train station.
I think you mean PP+ not FP+, there are changes to FP coming, but there is no charge for FP
Stuffed Baked Potatoes moved from Harbor Galley to the Troubadour something or other out by Mickey and the Magical Map
Riverbelle Terrace is no longer a quick service, it is now table service
Mad Tea Party is closed, it is now Jammin to (something I can't remember, someone please correct me)

Few more things to add

Jedi training is now done by signing up (used to be randomly selected from the crowd during the show)

Innoventions/carousel of progress is gone and in its place is a super hero/Star Wars meet and greet area with some props displayed.

Jungle cruise and autotopia recently refurbed and reopened

Star tours fast pass is in the same spot as the buzz light year fast pass

RBT no longer serves breakfast. Many of those items (and more!) are now at RDZ. RBT is now sit down service with a BBQ themed menu.

Autopia is now sponsored by Honda.

New Starbucks to open in DtD (by the Lego Store and DVC office) this summer.

DtD parking prices changed.
From the DLR website:
Downtown Disney District parking is located on Disneyland Drive, between the Mickey & Friends Parking Structure and the Disneyland Hotel.
Your first 2 hours of parking are free. An additional 2 hours may be validated at AMC Theatres and Downtown Disney District table-service dining restaurants. Beyond that, the cost is $6 for each additional 30-minute increment with a maximum charge of $36.
Valet parking is available from 5:00 PM to 2:00 AM for $12. This valet price is additional to any parking fee, bringing the maximum charge including valet service up to $48 total.
Parking is subject to capacity.

In DCA, Paradise Garden Grill is no longer open.

Premium APs no longer for sale. Replaced by Signature and Signature Plus APs. PhotoPass and parking are included with both those pass levels. Signature APs are blocked for the last 2 weeks of the year. Signature Plus has no block out days.

Last edited:
Updating original post from here.

It's surprising how many changes there are when you list every one. Come back after being gone a year and a half and think you know everything -- not so!

Has the Soarin' film already changed?

Strangely, this is the thing that upsets me the most about the currently construction: "BIG THUNDER WALKWAY -- Closed (Walkway between Frontierland and Fantasyland)" I just loved walking this back path.

WORLD OF COLOR has been re-themed
I would note that this is WoC: Celebrate (debuted for the 60th) so that way people know which version is currently being presented.

BIG THUNDER RANCH -- Closed (includes BBQ, petting zoo, etc. but not BTMRR)
This is a little different that the other attractions in this list that are closed. Things like the railroad are going to come back, but the Big Thunder Ranch has been permanently closed.

INNOVENTIONS/CAROSEL OF PROGRESS -- Gone; in its place is a SUPER HERO/STAR WARS MEET AND GREET area with some props displayed
Super Hero Headquarter has already closed. I think the stuff is still up there (it looked it was over the Memorial Day weekend), but the lights are off and the staircase is roped off.

MAD TEA PARTY - Closed; now Jammin to (something I can't remember, someone please correct me)
The Mad T Party has been replaced by Jammin' on the Backlot in DCA. The spinning tea cup attraction (Mad Tea Party) in DL is still there.

TOWER OF TERROR - re-themed? (Can someone confirm?)
It's still the same version as before. There is talk that it'll get a Marvel overlay in the future.

AP - Refillable popcorn drinks
It's worth noting that this offer is only available through September 5, 2016 (at this point).

Some other things that have changed (that I can think of)...
  • I saw your entry about the Fried Green Tomato Sandwich. There are lots of seasonal foods and menus change on a regular basis, but I didn't know if you wanted to list things as transient as seasonal/new menu items.
  • Hatbox Ghost has re-materialized in the Haunted Mansion (HM is also using FP on a daily basis).
  • Big Thunder Mountain Railroad has a new ending (it's been about two years for this one) in 2014.
  • Muppet Theater in DCA has been renamed Sunset Showcase Theater and is being used to show extended previews of upcoming movies.
  • Little Mermaid - Ariel's Undersea Adventure was refurbished in 2014 with hand-drawn animation replace the computer drawn images, changes to the anamatronics, and lighting.
  • Space Mountain currently has the Hyperspace Mountain overlay in place (Star Wars based). Likewise, all of the things associated with Season of the Force could be considered new (Path of the Jedi, Galactic Grill, etc.).
  • They also re-themed the Condor Flats area and now call it Grizzly Peak Airfield. As part of this, Taste Pilot's Grill was re-themed and re-named (Smokejumpers Grill).
Character meet and greets that I can think of...
  • Nick Wilde and Judy Hopps from Zootopia greet guests on Hollywood Blvd (location moves throughout the day, I think)
  • Captain America and Spiderman meet guests on Sunset Blvd (old Monster Inc M&G location)
  • Kylo Ren and Chewbacca greet guests in Star Wars Launch Bay (you already have it mentioned); Boba Fett also makes appearances (unscheduled) in the Cantina in Launch Bay.
  • I don't know how "new" this is, but I saw Mater down at Filmore's (across from Mater's Junkyard Jamboree) over the Memorial Day weekend. McQueen was at the Cozy Cones (alternating with Red, the fire engine).

Last edited:
Strangely, this is the thing that upsets me the most about the currently construction: "BIG THUNDER WALKWAY -- Closed (Walkway between Frontierland and Fantasyland)" I just loved walking this back path.

This was surprisingly frustrating when we were there in March. I hadn't thought too much about it before hand but it was a real issue. Especially as things get roped off for parades and things. It made it really a lot trickier to get around and it made other areas way more crowded.

• I saw your entry about the Fried Green Tomato Sandwich. There are lots of seasonal foods and menus change on a regular basis, but I didn't know if you wanted to list things as transient as seasonal/new menu items.
I think I'll leave seasonal/new menu items off. Thanks for asking and for all the notes!

Haunted Mansion is now on the Fastpass system (formerly was on FP only during holiday/peak times). Also, the new official Disneyland wait times app came out in 2015, which I hear is more reliable than the previous apps out there.

That's not going to happen until the 17th, I believe. It can't happen until after Shanghai officially opens.
Those lines are going to be crazy the week my family is there, but should be fun. I just wish they would have left one of the theaters on the California version.

Actually, if anyone knows of any new menu items that are really good, I think I'll add those as well.

Thanks to everyone who's contributed!

I don't think it's truly new (I've read that it was seasonal before), but the Hungry Bear Churro Funnel Cake is really yummy.

Don't forget about the new Frozen musical that has replaced Aladdin! I didn't see it on your list, apologies if I missed it. And, I know that you weren't really looking for character meet and greets, but Anna & Elsa now meet in the Animation building in DCA.

Also, just an FYI, Autopia no longer uses FPs, but Buzz has them again and they are disconnected.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter