Life Alert Questions

EllenFrasier

DIS Veteran
Does anybody have Life Alert for themselves or a loved one? I went to their website, but it does not say how much it costs. I'm thinking that my Mom might want to get this because she is alone a good deal of the time. I call to check on her, but anything can happen after we hang up.

Is it a good service?:confused3

I work for a local aging social service agency in PA. The Life Alert is a good service, but you may find a more cost effective one by calling your local Area Agency on Aging/Senior Services for local providers. I don't know where you are, but in PA these services are provided for the elderly who have a history of falls, at a sliding fee. I would check with your state to see who provides aging services and call them. They may have other services that your Mom may also benefit from too.

We have a similar service but with a different company. It costs about $40/mo. It's great peace of mind for me, and mom lives with me! A therapist recently told me that many people are afraid to push the button and it may be better to just carry a cell phone all the time in case she needs help. I got my mom a pre-paid phone and put my cell phone on speed dial. She keeps the phone in her walker or on a lanyard around her neck.

We suggested my mom get one and she did. It's a necklace type thing and she wears it. It works out in the yard as long as it's not too far away from the box. She pays $24.95 a month I think.

Definitely check with your local hospital or senior services first. Our hospital auxiliary handles a Life-Line program. My grandma needed to use it. When button is pushed they attempt to call the person. If no answer, they use the contact list to reach family to check on them right away. I was able to get to grandma's within minutes after she had pushed the button (stroke). And a local service will probably be cheaper as they are not running it as a for-profit business.

As a visiting nurse, I can tell you Life Line is worth the money, just for the peace of mind. If not for your mom, then for you! I recent;y had a patient have a stroke and fall on a Friday and even though her daughter called everyday she could not get her on the phone and it wasn't until Monday that the police were able to get out there (it was in FeB when the East cost got hit with massive snow storms, her daughter lived in PA and the patient in VA). Thankfully she survived but her daughter was calling ot get her the life line!

We got the Life Line for my mom after she fell 2 years ago. I believe she pays about $49/mo. It is worth every penny. She wears the necklace around her neck 24/7. (They also make a bracelet type). Works anywhere in the house. During the bad North Eastern storm she lost power & phone, and they called me to let me know. Of course I already had her safe and sound with me, but it was reassuring to know they were on top of it. She periodically gets calls to check the system. If she pushes the button and the operator is unable to hear her, they will contact emergency services, call me and continue to talk to her thru the intercom which is very reasuring. During a recent hospitalization they tried to contact her thru the intercom while I was alone in the house. Scared the daylights out of me! But she's used to it, and somewhat hard of hearing so it doesn't bother her. I highly recommend the service.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter