Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

I see this posted on Garmin and here, and I have no idea what it is though. Would you care to explain?

I think I explained it about 30 pages back, but I'll save you the search and explain it again. barre3 is a full-body workout that uses three basic approaches: isometric holds (basically engaging the muscles to actively hold a position), small movements with high repetitions, and larger movements to build functional strength and cardiovascular impact. It's kind of a fusion of barre, pilates, and yoga, with some unique things thrown in there. I like it because they focus a lot on individualizing the workout and working to your best ability, so I don't have to be good at any one particular movement, I can just do whatever feels right that day, but I still know that I'm making progress.
For example, one thing we do in every class is at least one plank - when I first started, I pretty much had to drop to my knees right away, but now I can sometimes hold the plank for most or all of the time ... although there are still days when I'll do my plank on my knees or at the barre ... it all depends on what feels right that day.
There's a place I go to that's a few blocks from work, but they also have an online subscription service that I could use if I ever end up not being able to go there anymore.

I bought the shoes.
A few weeks ago I got a $100 gift card from work as an appreciation of all I've done (which, btw, was completely unnecessary but also much appreciated), and I had been wondering what to do with that gift card. Half(ish) of it was spent on these shoes. The other half will be spent on "fancy" chocolate for my desk (ie something more expensive than the hershey's I usually buy) to show my appreciation to my coworkers for all their hard work.

Also ... bedtime goal for tonight is 10:45. That will have me in bed for 7.5 hours.
I'm hoping I can get some paperwork done before then, but my head was a bit explode-y earlier, so we'll see how that goes.

I'm wondering if maybe I should set a goal for this week to be in bed before 11 every day. It's hard, but it's not a bad idea. Thoughts?

I've found that when I try to consistently follow a set pattern before going to bed I sleep better. That doesn't mean I'm very consistent about my pattern, but it does help.

I've heard that - setting up a consistent routine before bed can really help with sleep. I should probably at least try that. I'm usually such a mess before bed and it definitely affects my sleep. Thanks for the suggestion/insight!

It just occurred to me that since I'm doing finish line bag check at the marathon, I may have to actually help unload the trucks (not sure if the volunteers do that or just the NYRR staff). I should probably wear something comfortable for getting in and out of a truck. I have until November to figure it out.

Just leaving this here as a reminder/record for myself:
Tuesday - 3 mi Easy/LR (original plan: EC)
Thursday - 4 mi EC (original plan: WU + 3 mi HM Tempo + CD)
Sunday - 2 mi WU + 3 mi HM Tempo + 2 mi CD (original plan: Easy/LR)

Heat is stupid.

I may have put myself on the waitlist for a barre3 class today (yes, that would be my third one of the week and second day in a row).#sorrynotsorry
I'll decide around noonish if I want to go.

Also ... I adulted very well this morning. I smelled the milk before putting it in my coffee. (I may have only done this because yesterday I didnt and my coffee tasted funny)

Updates:
1 - Was #1 on the waitlist for barre3, but cancelled my reservation because as much as I want to go, I have other things I need to do tonight. Like maybe shoe shopping. And possibly contacting some real estate agents about apartments (my dream Labor Day move-in date is not gonna happen, but I'm still holding out hope that maybe I can find something fast and move mid-September. I really need that shorter commute). And other life stuff. Sigh.
2 - I just got an email from my Marathon Weekend TA that they have some W&D bibs available. Deadline to book is tonight. AHHHH!!!!!!! Seriously. I gotta remember that I cannot burn vacation days (or money) right now.
3 - I'm having a really bad week. Just feeling useless at work. I know it happens sometimes, it's just really tough. Oh well. I've got some *thoughts* about things, and hopefully once I sort them all out I will feel better.

Btw ... one of the things I love about this training journal is that not only is it a good place to talk about running and healthy lifestyle changes, it's also a place where I can talk about the things that are important to me without having to post them on unrelated threads.

Hamevin yavin.
Is this a jab at College Football on the running thread?? ;) I'm just teasing.

I sometimes have random thoughts I want to share, but have no thread to share them on.

So let me share my random information on here... The eyedrops I have to use before my lasik (which I am now referring to as fighting the Sith) leave the most disgusting taste in my mouth. Yuck.

Thanks for letting me share randomness on your thread! :)

(PS please tell me what hamevin yavin means so I don't have to google it :) )

Is this a jab at College Football on the running thread?? ;) I'm just teasing.

Of course not. Everyone knows I love college sports. I'm all about college sports. Any sport. I especially love the Rutgers Lacrosse Team.

I sometimes have random thoughts I want to share, but have no thread to share them on.

You could always start a training journal...

So let me share my random information on here... The eyedrops I have to use before my lasik (which I am now referring to as fighting the Sith) leave the most disgusting taste in my mouth. Yuck.

That is yuck. But at least it will be over soon!

Thanks for letting me share randomness on your thread! :)

Share your randomness anytime!

(PS please tell me what hamevin yavin means so I don't have to google it :) )

The literal translation is "the one who understands will understand."
From there you have to figure it out for yourself. I translate, I don't explain :)

I have a random thought that I ~was~ going to share on the running thread but I feel like it actually is more fitting here anyway.

I have a love hate relationship with holidays and the fact that every business seems to want to do a sale because "OMG it's Labor day (or Flag day! or Grandparents Day! Or National Dog Day!)" I just don't have the money funds to buy all the things on discount that I want just because they are on sale. Hahaha. Such a conundrum.

I have a random thought that I ~was~ going to share on the running thread but I feel like it actually is more fitting here anyway.

I have a love hate relationship with holidays and the fact that every business seems to want to do a sale because "OMG it's Labor day (or Flag day! or Grandparents Day! Or National Dog Day!)" I just don't have the money funds to buy all the things on discount that I want just because they are on sale. Hahaha. Such a conundrum.

I get that. All the things are all on sale at the same time. It's a little bit too much.
And this random thought made me wonder if my company is doing a labor day sale. I have no idea. The engineering (or IT as they call us ... even though we're totally separate from IT) department is a little too focused on some projects we have launching soon to worry about what sales are going on.

I have a love hate relationship with holidays and the fact that every business seems to want to do a sale because "OMG it's Labor day (or Flag day! or Grandparents Day! Or National Dog Day!)" I just don't have the money funds to buy all the things on discount that I want just because they are on sale. Hahaha. Such a conundrum

My sweet Father-in-Law says that 30% off is still 70% more than you need ;)

(He doesn't say this directly to me... He could care less what I do or don't buy.)

And this random thought made me wonder if my company is doing a labor day sale. I have no idea. The engineering (or IT as they call us ... even though we're totally separate from IT) department is a little too focused on some projects we have launching soon to worry about what sales are going on.

Hmm... Do we know your company?? No biggie if you don't want to tell.

Hahahaha. I get that. I also feel the same way about people who buy a really expensive dress on sale and it's still in a price range that is above what I would pay. They are like "It was suuuuch a good deal!" and I am like "It was still expensive though."
To each their own. I am frugal. Haha.

I am frugal.

I'm just plain old cheap.

My DH says that to me! He also says "It must be nice to have money" or "I'm not rich, but my wife and kids are" (we aren't BTW!).

I like good quality stuff and will happily wait for it to get marked down.

(He doesn't say this directly to me... He could care less what I do or don't buy.)

He's not wrong ...

Hmm... Do we know your company?? No biggie if you don't want to tell.

I work in the e-commerce division of a fashion retailer that has not been relevant for several years and is trying to become relevant again. Although we did have a first lady who liked to wear our clothing (but that was before I worked there)

To each their own. I am frugal. Haha.

Not a bad quality to have.

I'm just plain old cheap.

Me too. I went shoe shopping today and was not willing to pay more than like $25 for sandals.

I like good quality stuff and will happily wait for it to get marked down.

That's understandable.Good quality stuff lasts, and it's always nice to get it at a decent price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter