Let me make an appeal... DCL guidelines

I can honestly say I never once noticed what any other person was wearing during dinner, nor would it have effected my vacation in any way if I had...

That's not the vibe I'm getting.

If people's expectations are beyond just having folks look presentable, perhaps another cruise line is in order. Society in general has a far more relaxed attitude toward dressing up over the last 20-30 years.

In my opinion, people will always find something to complain about. Unfortunately, it is our human nature. We compare. Good to bad, last time to this time, etc.

I agree that the cruise experience is most magical when most comply with the etiquette on board. But society as a whole is no longer respectful of each other and that will continue to be seen on the open seas.

On our last Disney cruise I had a father literally elbow me out of the way while holding my nine month old so he and his 2-3 year old could be one person closer to Mickey. Really? Anywhere else in the world that dad would need to have been "educated" on consequences. However, etiquette says little ones are watching and it is Mickey!!!! Who can be frustrated?

I have always said that at the end of the day we are blessed to be fortunate enough to be able to cruise. As momma always says, "Two wrongs don't make a right." Stepping off the soap box now. :)

I can honestly say I never once noticed what any other person was wearing during dinner, nor would it have effected my vacation in any way if I had...

Heck, I don't even remember what I wore to dinner never mind anyone else

(Although, I know it wasn't shorts because I don't own any).

we specifically purchased a collapsible, soft-sided rolling cooler for our 1st DCL cruise many years ago. It has the telescoping handle and dimensions are no more than 15 X 14 X 14 inches. I'd use it for bottled water and some beer and then have empty carryon to use for souvies on flight home.

I'm missing the rationale of forbidding carryon beverages in a rolling cooler but permitting a label slapped on a case of 'whatever' to be checked and delivered or even stuffing same beverages in a more traditional wheeled piece of luggage.:confused3 Guess i need to find the thread sigh.

SoCaOC-Mom said:
Heck, I don't even remember what I wore to dinner never mind anyone else

(Although, I know it wasn't shorts because I don't own any).

Haha, same here...also we were in Alaska.. ;)

If it were not for these boards I am not sure I would would even know there was a semi-formal or formal night and I surely would not understand Pirate night. I think on major issue in enforcing the policy is that so many have no idea the policy is even in place. I am surprised that DCL does not do a better job of giving more in-depth details about things on board.

I enjoy dressing up and I do think it adds to the atmosphere if everyone else in the MDR's dress up as well- but reality is unless DCL makes this a hard and fast requirement, clearly laying it out before each cruise sets sail, they will not have any luck enforcing it.

As far as having the crew haul your water and whatever else, I think that is ridiculous and quite disrespectful.

Rolling coolers are an issue that confuses me...why do you need it? There is a fridge in the room, so unless you plan to board the ship and begin to drink immediately why not just bring whatever you want in your rolling carry-on and place it in the fridge in your room ASAP???

I can definitely appreciate that it is annoying to hear about people complaining about having to follow a rule. That said, I will say that this is a forum where people share information about their experiences, and for those who may not have been aware of the new strict adherence to policy in the case of the coolers, it was good information to pass along, and I think there may have been people on the forum who found the information helpful. And I don't think the poster was even complaining - mainly taken aback.

Great post. This is really what the DIS is all about. Helping others. Helping newbies and vets.

All these topics get brought up again and again throughout the years and will always continue to. At a certain time, you just get use to it. Another shorts at dinner thread, another tipping thread and my favorite, another hog chair thread.

Is there anyway I can break a rule to get a KSF offer? Cuz I would!!! ;)

You should've seen the OUTRAGE when DCL announced they would limit the amount of alcohol that could be brought onboard! DCL reversed their decision the next day, but it was amusing to see people threaten to take their cruising dollars elsewhere if DCL enforced this!

And I'd bet my last dollar that they WILL do this eventually. They're the only cruise line I know of that still allows people to bring alcohol onboard, and it cost them $$$$$$$.

Let me say I totally agree with the poster however, I think if Disney enforced their rules from the very beginning, people would not be so upset when the rules that have been broken for so long, now are being enforced. A rule is a rule. Why have them in writing and then not enforce them.:confused3

Absolutely. :thumbsup2 But I know why....because they don't want to tick people off. It's all that pixie dust and fairy tale stuff.

The thought of taking a cooler on a cruise or to a hotel reminds me of an old Jeff Foxworthy skit about his relatives when they traveled. :lmao:

They were also the ones in the dining room with shorts on.

And I'd bet my last dollar that they WILL do this eventually. They're the only cruise line I know of that still allows people to bring alcohol onboard, and it cost them $$$$$$$.

Holland America permits passengers to bring their own alcohol.

we specifically purchased a collapsible, soft-sided rolling cooler for our 1st DCL cruise many years ago. It has the telescoping handle and dimensions are no more than 15 X 14 X 14 inches. I'd use it for bottled water and some beer and then have empty carryon to use for souvies on flight home.

I am missing the rationale of forbidding carryon beverages in a rolling cooler but permitting a label slapped on a case of 'whatever' to be checked and delivered or even stuffing same beverages in a more traditional wheeled piece of luggage.:confused3 Guess i need to find the thread sigh.

This is not allowed, nor was it ever allowed to my knowledge. People did it because they could...the porters will not say no but it is against DCL beverage policy. The porters do not work for DCL and most likely would not say no or refuse as it may affect their tip.

I do see the rationale of not letting coolers be brought onboard. DCL has a very generous beverage policy, pretty much no limit to what you can bring on. All they ask is that you consume what you brought in your cabin and not in public places. When people start rolling their coolers to the pool or to the club with their own booze it is basically a slap in the face to Disney. They are flaunting that they brought their own booze onboard.

I always bring my own wine/alcohol onboard but would never dream of rolling up my cooler to the pool or elsewhere with my own stuff.

People are not as inclined to roll their small suitcase or duffle to the pool and open it up with alcohol in it....I think that is probably the distinction of allowing booze to be brought in non coolers.
MJ

Holland America permits passengers to bring their own alcohol.

I had said "that I know of". I've never looked into HAL....the cost, mostly, plus I'd always been under the impression that they catered to an older crowd....and therefore less likely to haul a bunch of booze onboard with them. Both because they're older and they can afford to pay for it onboard.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter