Leg condition...do I need to contact WDW?

Thank you everyone for your advice! I am going to look into the rollator, it sounds like it just might be the perfect thing for him! One question though...since the rollator's seat would solve my father's problem of standing in line for prolonged periods, would he be allowed to use it while waiting in line? I mean, where would he keep it once we get up to the front of the ride? Let's say for example...we are waiting to ride Peter Pan, the line is 20 minutes long and he feels the need to sit down for a bit while waiting in line. Then we get up to the actual ride, what happens to the rollator?

Again, the ECV or wheelchair wouldn't help him with standing still for long periods. Perhaps on the bus to MK from the Dolphin yes, but they are traveling down with the Amtrak auto train, so he will have a car and if anything, he can drive to the MK.

So, to get a GAC card, we just go to Guest Relations on the first day when we enter Epcot (our first park together)? Do we need to provide any paperwork?

Yes, he can use the seat while in line. Note that lines move differently-those for say Peter Pan are more constant flow, where things like the Teacups are more of a stop-start kind of deal.

You can leave the rollator at the front of the line and the CM at the front of the line (or in some cases as you enter the ride) will assist you.

You don't need any paperwork for a GAC, and if you brought any, the CMs are not likely to look at it.

Have a great trip!

Steve

Thank you everyone for your advice! I am going to look into the rollator, it sounds like it just might be the perfect thing for him! One question though...since the rollator's seat would solve my father's problem of standing in line for prolonged periods, would he be allowed to use it while waiting in line? I mean, where would he keep it once we get up to the front of the ride? Let's say for example...we are waiting to ride Peter Pan, the line is 20 minutes long and he feels the need to sit down for a bit while waiting in line. Then we get up to the actual ride, what happens to the rollator?

Again, the ECV or wheelchair wouldn't help him with standing still for long periods. Perhaps on the bus to MK from the Dolphin yes, but they are traveling down with the Amtrak auto train, so he will have a car and if anything, he can drive to the MK.

So, to get a GAC card, we just go to Guest Relations on the first day when we enter Epcot (our first park together)? Do we need to provide any paperwork?
For the first question - a or walker is handled just like a wheelchair.
He can bring it into the line with him, sit in it if he needs to sit for a few minutes, move the weight off one leg or the other and then keep going.
If there is a different entrance or loading area for guests using wheelchairs, he would be directed there. He would not need a GAC for that; the CMs would see the rollator and know he needs that access.
One of the posts on page one of the disABILITIES FAQs thread talks about the Mobility Entrances for different attractions. It also talks about the special maps for guests with disabilities for each park that list those entrances. In most cases, it is just the regular line, which is accessible.

When he gets to the front of the line, a CM will tell him where to park the rollator. It will either be waiting in the same place when he gets off ( for attractions which board and unload at the same place) or a CM will move it to the exit for him while he is on the ride.

For your question about GACs, he can get a Guest Assistance Card at Guest Relations in any park.
You will find the answers to all your other GAC questions in post 6 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread, which is near the top of this board or you can follow the link in my signature.

For the first question - a or walker is handled just like a wheelchair.
He can bring it into the line with him, sit in it if he needs to sit for a few minutes, move the weight off one leg or the other and then keep going.
If there is a different entrance or loading area for guests using wheelchairs, he would be directed there. He would not need a GAC for that; the CMs would see the rollator and know he needs that access.
One of the posts on page one of the disABILITIES FAQs thread talks about the Mobility Entrances for different attractions. It also talks about the special maps for guests with disabilities for each park that list those entrances. In most cases, it is just the regular line, which is accessible.

When he gets to the front of the line, a CM will tell him where to park the rollator. It will either be waiting in the same place when he gets off ( for attractions which board and unload at the same place) or a CM will move it to the exit for him while he is on the ride.

For your question about GACs, he can get a Guest Assistance Card at Guest Relations in any park.
You will find the answers to all your other GAC questions in post 6 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread, which is near the top of this board or you can follow the link in my signature.

Thank you so much for all of this info! I looked at the rollators online and it just might be the thing he needs. He would still get the exercise recommended by his doctor, but he would be comfortable at the same time. It's great that they have maps at the parks with the entrances for people with mobility issues, and also nice to know that in many cases he can use the regular line.

One more thing...we are going to be a party of 10. Is riding altogether going to be an issue if he uses the rollator and has to use a different entrance? I know that my father wants to be able to enjoy everything with all his kids and grandchildren.

When I was using crutches, if they fwouldn'tit in the vehicle with me the CM taaok them from me at boarding and had them waiting for me at unloading. Ineimagine it would be the same with a walker or rollator.

It's great to be prepared with the map of entrances, but I actually found I didn't end up needing it. As soon as the CM's outside the rides saw me coming, they came up and directed me to the approporiate entrance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter