Leaving from NYC with a 10:40 flight??

Twice - Feb and just last week - leaving between 6 and 7am I stayed at the Hampton Inn before the flight and was on their 4am shuttle. It is 5 minutes away. The ride took 45 minutes because of the construction and closures. Once on a Saturday morning and once on a Thursday morning. Back ups like that are not going to clear easily.

The ONLY reason I tortured myself with that sham of an airport is in Feb American changed my flights and this time it was over $150 less expensive than JFK - which has airtrain and is MUCH easier to get to and from. This trip made my decision - until LGA gets into the 21st century I will take JFK or EWR regardless of the price difference.

I’m so sorry that happened - I wasn’t trying to be a jerk just surprised bc it’s not usually that bad. I totally get why people hate LGA and the construction has been a nightmare for YEARS. Don’t even get me started on their decision to move all the taxis to the Marine terminal and have shuttle buses run over there - coming home is worse than leaving.

I read the title of this post and my first thought was Nope! I then read the op question and my answer was still Nope!
Could it would out....... maybe....... would I trust it. No. Not for most airports, but definitely not for any NYC airports. I've seen to much go wrong to fast while trying to get to LaGuardia or JFK.

I know there are stories of people doing this and it working "just fine". But man there are just as many stories where it went wrong fast. I have personally witnessed people missing flights post DCL cruises for booking that "borderline" early flight time.

My answer to the question still stands. Nope!

Any number of small problems could happen and you've got a headache. Will she be okay? Likely. However, one thing to keep in mind, if you go with Disney's recommendations and something wacky happens (like the ship is delayed - it does happen) and Disney will have your back. If you book earlier than their recommended time, then you're on your own.

In what way will Disney have your back if you miss a flight you've booked, even if it is within their recommended times? Even if you booked your flights through them, it's up to airline availability so in most cases you are working with the airline directly (working with DCL Air/Sea department only puts another layer between you and what is available through the airline.) We were on a cruise into LA years ago. The disembarkation process was slow, DCL bus availability very limited, we had a 1 pm flight booked and missed it because of DCL delays and had to sit around the airport all day to fly standby on a later flight. DCL couldn't even communicate what was happening in the port to cause the delay and bus shortage, there was no way they were helping us with flight issues.

In what way will Disney have your back if you miss a flight you've booked, even if it is within their recommended times? Even if you booked your flights through them, it's up to airline availability so in most cases you are working with the airline directly (working with DCL Air/Sea department only puts another layer between you and what is available through the airline.) We were on a cruise into LA years ago. The disembarkation process was slow, DCL bus availability very limited, we had a 1 pm flight booked and missed it because of DCL delays and had to sit around the airport all day to fly standby on a later flight. DCL couldn't even communicate what was happening in the port to cause the delay and bus shortage, there was no way they were helping us with flight issues.
Yes flights booked with Disney means they will help should something happen. We had issues because of an impending hurricane and we booked our flight with Disney. I called and Disney was able to get us on another flight and the issue was fixed quickly

Last edited:

A friend of mine was on the Fantasy when it was late coming back into port because of an engine issue. She didn't book through Disney for her flights, however, she did book within their recommended times. They missed their flight, but Disney paid the change fees and helped them rebook. They heard that another family on their meet group didn't and Disney wouldn't help them with the fees since they were not within guidelines.

A friend of mine was on the Fantasy when it was late coming back into port because of an engine issue. She didn't book through Disney for her flights, however, she did book within their recommended times. They missed their flight, but Disney paid the change fees and helped them rebook.

The assistance in this situation is likely because the delay was directly caused by DCL equipment failure, so DCL assisted those passengers whose post-cruise plans were impacted as long as their original plans were within recommended guidelines.

If the delay had been caused by circumstances outside of DCL's control (port inspection, Customs/Immigration, weather, even altering course for a medical emergency, etc.) then I suspect DCL may not have covered change fees. First priority in such situations is typically given to those who booked through DCL directly, then maybe assisting others. Anytime one books outside the recommended times, you are on your own.

Enjoy your cruise!

I read the title of this post and my first thought was Nope! I then read the op question and my answer was still Nope!
Could it would out....... maybe....... would I trust it. No. Not for most airports, but definitely not for any NYC airports. I've seen to much go wrong to fast while trying to get to LaGuardia or JFK.

I know there are stories of people doing this and it working "just fine". But man there are just as many stories where it went wrong fast. I have personally witnessed people missing flights post DCL cruises for booking that "borderline" early flight time.

My answer to the question still stands. Nope!

Yes. I should have specified that I would not be comfortable with that close a turn around at any of the NYC-area airports - JFK, EWR, or LGA.

I have had to travel frequently to/from NY LGA and I always gave myself at least 3.5 hours door to gate, and even that has entailed some cutting it close and even switching to a later flight on the phone in the cab (luckily, work always booked me on a refundable fare).

No way!! That's not enough time. Change that flight, depending on the airline you should be able to do it for free if it's within 24 hours of purchase.

We have a 1:00pm flight out of JFK, we are using DCL transport from the port to the airport. Hoping we aren't cutting it too close! DCL said it was fine, so I'm banking on that.

We have a 1:00pm flight out of JFK, we are using DCL transport from the port to the airport. Hoping we aren't cutting it too close! DCL said it was fine, so I'm banking on that.

JFK should be fine. They have some construction, but NOTHING like the mess that is LGA. (Plus they have decent public transportation options out there so the car/transit differential is nowhere near as bad as at LGA where 90% of the passengers arrive via private vehicle (including taxis and car services).)

That would be the earliest I would be comfortable with, as long as you get right on that bus and head to the airport. The challenge with JFK is all the normal stuff like long check in lines, long security etc is always a possibility, but the traffic is the big unknown. One accident, some bad weather, a festival(this happened once to me) or whatever and you could just be sitting in traffic. You want to be at the airport the full 2 hours before your flight to make sure you can get through all the "airport" stuff, and I would always give myself 2 hours (yes I know extreme) to get to JFK (it should take about an hour) to be safe. So leaving the cruise terminal by 9:00am and your going to make your flight baring the most extreme circumstances.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter