Leaving from NYC with a 10:40 flight??

bobbiwoz

I'm happy to dance with you!
My friend just told me this is what she she booked. She is TSA prechecked and out of LaGuardia. She asked me what I thought??. She expects to take Uber or Lyft to airport and will carry bags.

This is DVC Cruise, Bermuda. I guess that means Customs and Immagration.

She’s asking me what I think, but she did book it. Yikes... do you think she will be OK.

One problem with departing the ship and she could very well miss that flight.... too risky.

10:40am??? From the construction zone that is LGA???

No way in Hades would I attempt that one. I would not do LGA before 1pm at the earliest - even with pre-check and lining up at 6 to be first off.

LGA is a massive construction zone and people are still walking a mile+ with luggage just to get to the airport because cars are at a standstill.

Please advise your friend to change her flight...or be prepared to fly standby because she missed it.

LGA is my home airport and I fly frequently - I
assume you mean AM? Where is she coming from and what time does she have to be where she’s going when she lands?

Yes, AM. It was her choice because she has to go to Tulsa OK through Atlanta. Anything later gets her into Tulsa 10 PM.

Honestly with pre-check I think she’ll be OK. Yes construction traffic from the Grand Central going around LGA is a slow pain but if she allows herself plenty of time to get there and account for that (like 45 mins extra) she’ll be fine.

Honestly with pre-check I think she’ll be OK. Yes construction traffic from the Grand Central going around LGA is a slow pain but if she allows herself plenty of time to get there and account for that (like 45 mins extra) she’ll be fine.

But the point is that she cannot allow herself plenty of time - she's at the mercy of when the cruise ship disembarks passengers.

I have sent her the link, she’s reading the thread...it’s up to her! Thank you!

Sorry I totally missed that! What time does she disembark and where is the port?

That's the information I was trying to figure out too. I know it is pier 88 or pier 90 - but that area - but not sure if scheduled disembark time.

I don't love LGA but don't have the same hate that others seem to have. I've actually had decent experiences with various methods of transport (car rental, drop off, bus) and have never seen people having to "walk a mile+ with luggage" (though I have heard stories about that in the past). But then, I'm only there a couple of times a year.

That's the information I was trying to figure out too. I know it is pier 88 or pier 90 - but that area - but not sure if scheduled disembark time.

I don't love LGA but don't have the same hate that others seem to have. I've actually had decent experiences with various methods of transport (car rental, drop off, bus) and have never seen people having to "walk a mile+ with luggage" (though I have heard stories about that in the past). But then, I'm only there a couple of times a year.

I fly out of LGA bi-weekly and also travel out on weekends occasionally - the ONLY time anyone ever had to “walk a mile” with their luggage was several years ago after horrible snowstorms shut down most airports for a day and the catch up flights + caused a massive backlog of traffic that didn’t move (I was stuck in it trying to pick up my boyfriend at the time - it took 2 hrs to get to him from 30th Ave.) But this is BY NO MEANS the norm.

OP my one tip for your friend if she’s disembarking on a west side pier is to instruct the driver to AVOID driving through Manhattan - local roads can be deceptively slow, highways even with traffic tend to be more reliable.

Also if I’m understanding correctly, disembarking the boat from 6-7am? That still gives her anywhere from 2.5-3.5 hrs to get over to LGA - plenty of time, honestly.

Any number of small problems could happen and you've got a headache. Will she be okay? Likely. However, one thing to keep in mind, if you go with Disney's recommendations and something wacky happens (like the ship is delayed - it does happen) and Disney will have your back. If you book earlier than their recommended time, then you're on your own.

Why risk it? I just wouldn't want to finish an amazing vacation and have to stress about getting off the ship right when it's cleared and then race to the airport and hope that there's no traffic and hope that there are no hold ups checking in, even with Pre-check, we've had to wait a ridiculous amount of time before (not at LGA - it was actually at MCO) but odd things happen.

I just always stick with Disney's guidelines, even if I'm a little later getting home. I'd rather have a relaxed end to my vacation, not a high stress one.

Also if I’m understanding correctly, disembarking the boat from 6-7am?

I don’t know if NYC is considerably different from other ports, but debarkation doesn’t usually start until about 7:30am, maybe a bit earlier, but i’ve never heard of 6am debarkation post-cruise. 7am is about the absolute earliest I might hope for with express-debarkation.

I don’t know if NYC is considerably different from other ports, but debarkation doesn’t usually start until about 7:30am, maybe a bit earlier, but i’ve never heard of 6am debarkation post-cruise. 7am is about the absolute earliest I might hope for with express-debarkation.

Even if she doesn’t get off the boat til 8, with 2 hours of horrible rush hour traffic, that still puts her at LGA at 10am - with pre-check and carry-on only luggage, she’ll be fine.

I fly out of LGA bi-weekly and also travel out on weekends occasionally - the ONLY time anyone ever had to “walk a mile” with their luggage was several years ago after horrible snowstorms shut down most airports for a day and the catch up flights + caused a massive backlog of traffic that didn’t move (I was stuck in it trying to pick up my boyfriend at the time - it took 2 hrs to get to him from 30th Ave.) But this is BY NO MEANS the norm.

OP my one tip for your friend if she’s disembarking on a west side pier is to instruct the driver to AVOID driving through Manhattan - local roads can be deceptively slow, highways even with traffic tend to be more reliable.

Also if I’m understanding correctly, disembarking the boat from 6-7am? That still gives her anywhere from 2.5-3.5 hrs to get over to LGA - plenty of time, honestly.

There have been back-ups to that degree this summer. So yes, it is still happening.

She is researching Newark....now.

By the way, it’s a Saturday morning. Is traffic to LaGuardia awful then as well?

I also fly in and out of LGA almost weekly. There were definitely people walking off the roads to the airport on August 8th in the early afternoon. I personally witnessed it and almost missed my flight - it took longer to get to the airport than any other time in 19.5 years of living in NYC. I only made it as Delta allowed me to gate check my bag (which was not a carry on size).

The LGA construction and traffic situation is terrible at the moment and I’ll likely use JFK when possible for the next few months despite living in Manhattan. Is that an option for your friend?

There have been back-ups to that degree this summer. So yes, it is still happening.

The only times there’ve been issues it’s been related to widespread storms that cause arrival delays and those typically happen evening/nighttime hours, not 10am. What times are you going to the airport? My am flights are anywhere between 5am-9am airport arrival for 6am-10am departure and I’ve yet to have an issue. Again, I travel at least 2-3x a month during weekdays and once a month on a Friday night/Saturday morning so LGA is like a second home at this point. I’m not saying traffic/delays around there aren’t an issue I’m just saying it’s not impossible to make a 10:40 flight coming from the west side of Manhattan. Worst case scenario she DOES miss her flight for some reason and takes the later one anyway, not a huge deal.

The only times there’ve been issues it’s been related to widespread storms that cause arrival delays and those typically happen evening/nighttime hours, not 10am. What times are you going to the airport? My am flights are anywhere between 5am-9am airport arrival for 6am-10am departure and I’ve yet to have an issue. Again, I travel at least 2-3x a month during weekdays and once a month on a Friday night/Saturday morning so LGA is like a second home at this point. I’m not saying traffic/delays around there aren’t an issue I’m just saying it’s not impossible to make a 10:40 flight coming from the west side of Manhattan. Worst case scenario she DOES miss her flight for some reason and takes the later one anyway, not a huge deal.

Twice - Feb and just last week - leaving between 6 and 7am I stayed at the Hampton Inn before the flight and was on their 4am shuttle. It is 5 minutes away. The ride took 45 minutes because of the construction and closures. Once on a Saturday morning and once on a Thursday morning. Back ups like that are not going to clear easily.

The ONLY reason I tortured myself with that sham of an airport is in Feb American changed my flights and this time it was over $150 less expensive than JFK - which has airtrain and is MUCH easier to get to and from. This trip made my decision - until LGA gets into the 21st century I will take JFK or EWR regardless of the price difference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter