Learning....

OKW Lover

Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle.
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
I'm a long time DISer but haven't really looked at this section before. Recently though things have changed. My 16Yo grandson was big into gymnastics and during a session landed a flip badly, crushing several vertebra in his neck. This has left him with little to no control/feeling over his body from the waist down and some, but not full, motion of arms and hands. As such he uses a special motorized wheelchair and his house has been retrofitted with the needed ramps, hoists, etc. He has made some improvement in the ~5 months since the accident and we are hopeful for more.

We are planning on a trip to WDW with him (he lives in Houston, we are local) for the DIS meet in August. Normally he would stay at our house but I've reserved a HA room at AKL for him and his mom since our house wouldn't work with his condition.

I'll search through the many threads in this section of the DIS but would also be interested in hearing what other similarly situated people have experienced. I'm especially interested in issues about transportation (would renting a HA van be a good idea?) and the actual physical facilities of a HA room at AKL. I know the parks well, but not from the perspective of being wheelchair bound so suggestions on that side are also welcome.

Thank you all

I am so sorry to hear about his accident and I wish him all the best in his recovery

Here is a thread to check out https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...disabled-1st-trip-next-trip-wish-trip.595713/

Disney bus should be fine for his needs they all have ramps they all have place for atlest two mobile device.

About 95% of the lines are main stream at Disney so he will go just like if he is not on a wheel chair I take it he can not transfer with out someone doing it for him. There are rides that he can take his wheelchair on buz Pooh toy story are a few.

I have stayed in a HA club level room at AKL. it was easily doable( at the time I only needed the chair for the parks and could handle the hotel itself on my own) . will he want/need a tub or just a roll in shower?

the bus is dedicated to AKL and I pretty much never had to wait for a second bus leaving the hotel to any park or DS. I tend to leave the parks at off peak times so rarely had an issue going back either. as long as his chair has dedicated tie down spots it should be fine.

there are only a couple of rides where the entrance is different than anyone else's. many have ride cars that he can just roll right on. some he might need to transfer if that's an option. seating for shows is either very very good, or crap, IMNSHO. some have seating right down in front, but the ramp is STEEP.

I am assuming that you have reserved a roll-in shower room. The bathroom will have a higher toilet with grab bars, a sink you can roll a chair under and a flat entry shower with a hand held shower head and a bench of some sort to sit on while showering. The bed or beds will be little lower making an easier transfers. The closet will have a lower bar for hanging clothes.

Is he able to self transfer to bed and the toilet? Or does he use a hoyer type lift and/or is catheterized? If he needs help with transferring, you can rent a lift from a medical supply company that will deliver it to the resort. I think it is called Orlando Medical Rental.

I am assuming that you have reserved a roll-in shower room. The bathroom will have a higher toilet with grab bars, a sink you can roll a chair under and a flat entry shower with a hand held shower head and a bench of some sort to sit on while showering. The bed or beds will be little lower making an easier transfers. The closet will have a lower bar for hanging clothes.

Is he able to self transfer to bed and the toilet? Or does he use a hoyer type lift and/or is catheterized? If he needs help with transferring, you can rent a lift from a medical supply company that will deliver it to the resort. I think it is called Orlando Medical Rental.
Thanks for the good info. Checking on all of that.

I know it's not AKL, but here's the pictures I collected while at POFQ this last September, with measurements, if that helps. Since POFQ is a moderate, (most) Deluxe rooms will have *at least* that much space, if not more, and things like toilet height should remain the same. WL's rooms are the same basic size, but laid out differently than POFQ. I have not yet had the opportunity to stay at AKL. Hopefully soon.

Will be at WL in 2 more sleeps, if there's any info from there you need :)

I just want to send virtual hugs and real prayers to you and your family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter