LAX - Safety

dizgirl14

Earning My Ears
Planning our trip for DL this summer. How safe is LAX or should we fly into Long Beach? And traveling with just my kids, what should be look at for transportation? Cheapest flights I can find are overnight, so just wondering about really late night by myself at LAX. Thanks

Planning our trip for DL this summer. How safe is LAX or should we fly into Long Beach? And traveling with just my kids, what should be look at for transportation? Cheapest flights I can find are overnight, so just wondering about really late night by myself at LAX. Thanks

Im a solo female international traveler and Ive been using LAX for over 10 years. Ive never felt unsafe or had any issues. Its a very busy place, lots of hustle and bustle and everyone on the arrivals level is either a passenger trying to figure out transport, airport staff or shuttle buses picking up.

I would advice looking at a car service pick up at LAX which will meet you at arrivals.

Uber and Lyft are not allowed to pick up at arrivals any more. LAX has moved all taxi, Uber and Lyft pickups to an area called LAXIT which you would need to get a free shuttle to.

Im a solo female international traveler and Ive been using LAX for over 10 years. Ive never felt unsafe or had any issues. Its a very busy place, lots of hustle and bustle and everyone on the arrivals level is either a passenger trying to figure out transport, airport staff or shuttle buses picking up.

I would advice looking at a car service pick up at LAX which will meet you at arrivals.

Uber and Lyft are not allowed to pick up at arrivals any more. LAX has moved all taxi, Uber and Lyft pickups to an area called LAXIT which you would need to get a free shuttle to.
Thank you so much, this is what I need. Since you travel a lot, do you have a car service that you use that you could recommend? I'm looking at red eye flights, so want to make sure I have stuff setup

Thank you so much, this is what I need. Since you travel a lot, do you have a car service that you use that you could recommend? I'm looking at red eye flights, so want to make sure I have stuff setup

In January I used Midwilshuttle but I used them from hotel to hotel. I have booked them again for next trip in 10 days.

You request a quote through their website and then pay the driver by cash or card when you get to your destination. Approx price from LAX to Disneyland is $100 but thats just for me, one person, with one checked bag.

Other Disboard members have also used them and I'm sure I have read trip reports that they meet in arrivals.

I had a whole post up about avoiding LAX but now see you’re using points and coming from the East Coast. LAX is going to be your best bet. You’ll be fine from a safety standpoint. Always lots of PD and security around, just keep your head on a swivel and be aware of your surroundings.

Unfortunately not to Boston, need to use up points for Jet Blue
Bummer, Long Beach and Boston used to be JetBlue hubs used to be easy to get flights to and from.

You’ll be fine safety wise but yea LAX is the airport we all avoid as much as possible for mostly traffic reasons.

As far as transport anything but SuperShuttle

Be vigilant. I have travelled in and out of many big airports. Internationally too. Thousands of people travel in and out of LAX daily without issue. You will very likely encounter no issues too. Just be vigilant with your personal safety and belongings.

Why would LAX be "unsafe"?

I mean I get if you are asking about surrounding neighborhoods if you are saying there or walking around but an airport as just an arrival point and departing for another destination what would be the concern?

LAX is fine safety wise. It's a super busy , outdated international airport struggling with poor design, but other than that you'll be fine. I've been in and out of there there or four times in the last couple of months. It is an absolute organizational mess, currently a bit more than usual I think, very chaotic for pick ups of all sorts during the day, so arriving at night might be an advantage. As others have said, go for private transportation.

LAX itself is very safe. What is sketchy is the surrounding areas where most of the rental car companies are located. I live in Orange County and once had a flight home from MCO that got rerouted to LAX and landed after midnight. Since my car was parked at SNA Airport, I rented a car for the day from Hertz LAX to drive myself there because it was approximately 50% the cost of an Uber ride. I was solo. My drive off the Hertz lot and to the freeway at 2am was terrifying. I was just willing that car to NOT break down on me.

If you will be using a car service, you have nothing to worry about.

We've been in and out of LAX numerous times. In my opinion, it's a great (and relatively safe) airport. It's pretty organized with each terminal having it's own security and people are generally pretty friendly and kind (even the TSA officers). Just use regular caution like not leaving your luggage out of your sight, keeping your purse on you at all times, keeping kids within eyesight always, etc.

If you are flying in late at night, choose a company that picks you up curbside rather than at the LAXit area. I'm sure the lots are fine, but we just feel more comfortable getting picked up curbside. We've used Primetime with their executive SUV and Lansky has had great reviews around here.

We used to live near LAX and it was our home airport for about 9 years. We never had any safety issues at all. if you're looking for a shuttle, I used Sunny's Transportation in May and they were great. My dd and I flew into SNA, but I know they service LAX also.

If Long Beach is an option I'd definitely look into that. LAX is safe, but it's very busy and you'll have a more relaxed experience at Long Beach.

An additional consideration: LAX I believe is open all night since it's an international airport but SNA and LGB both close after around 10pm. We flew into SNA late at night, maybe around 10:30PM and everything was closed. It was a ghost town, which was slightly eerie. We never felt unsafe but it was weird.

If your flight options are LGB at night or LAX at night, I would choose LAX personally. LGB has only 4 gates IIRC, so arriving late at night might leave you more "isolated" (obviously security will still be present along with passengers off your specific flight) waiting for ground transportation than you would be at LAX. You shouldn't be unsafe, but it might feel that way in the dark and quiet outside of the airport.

Last edited:
LAX isn't unsafe but it is annoyingly big so just getting around takes longer. It's also further from the parks so transportation would take longer and cost more.

But at night, its more likely to have some food options open and because there's likely more flights there from wherever you are coming from, it's easier to get a flight change in the event of a delay or cancellation.

I live in Orange County and fly out of LAX a couple times a year. Often as a single female or with my elderly Mom. I have never felt unsafe in the airport. I would not wander the area around the airport at night, but I have stayed at a hotel up there when I had a super early flight with no concerns. Walked around outside a bit while still light out (never would at night). I have been there super late at night 10-12 time frame and the immediate airport was safe to me. Also super early (or more like the middle of the night (4-6 AM). Like others said, the airport is active 24 hours a day. Just be aware of your surroundings. And there is definitely security around.

Highjack: Whats the process for getting a rental car you reserved?

Seem like it a shuttle bus?

We have a Prebooked Budget rental, do they have fast break in an easy spot?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter