Laura & Gary Wedding Trip Report - FINISHED!!

Laurafoster

DIS Veteran
I have to work today and the office is empty - so im finally getting a chance to write my TR!

The Wedding went so much better than expected! It was totally perfect and Disney did a great job! The whole day was magical and everyone is still talking about it.

A couple of things im really glad i did:

Choose the Yacht Club Gazebo - The Wedding pavillion is really stunning but it just wasnt us - we only had a small group and wanted something more intimate and meaningful to us. We stayed at the YC on our first trip together so the place held special meaning to us.

Had Mickey and Minnie at the Reception - Ok so they were really expensive but they went down really well. It was such a suprise to everyone and they were really worth the money.

Anyway on to the Trip Report!

November 29th, 2006:

We were not flying out to Orlando until the next day but a 9 hour flight is long enough without adding a 3 hour drive to the airport at 6am! So we decided to book into the London Gatwick Hilton – as it’s only a 5 min walk to the airport! Gives me that extra few hours sleep!

The Cast –

Me - Laura - The Bride :bride:
My DH – Gary - The Groom :groom:
My Parents – Alison and Ian
My Grandparents – Joan and Alec
My Aunt, Uncle and Cousins – Christine, Stuart and Andrew and Robbie.

We left for the airport at around 3pm and as there was no traffic we were at the airport by around 5pm. We got checked in for the flight smoothly. I was concerned about all the extra security as i was taking my dress on as hand luggage and it was slightly over the allowed size. It was fine though, they said it wasnt a problem.

We then headed off to the hotel to get checked in there. When we got to check in they asked if we were going away anywhere special and we said we were off to Florida to get married the Lady behind the desk got all excited and upgraded us to an executive room. The room was fab, really big and had a huge bathroom. We headed out to get something for dinner – the bar in the hotel was so expensive – 1 glass of wine was £8.75 :scared1: so we jumped in a taxi and went to a restaurant instead. We still had a long day ahead of us so we went back to the room to get a good nights sleep with the wedding dress safely in my view!

November 30th, 2006:

Even though the flight was not until 11:15am we were advised that we had to be in the airport no later than 9am because of the increased security. So we got up around 7am and had a nice breakfast in the hotel – because we had been upgraded this was all free so Gary was happy! We headed over to the Airport and met everyone else as they had stayed at a different hotel. We headed over and were relieved to find there were no delays on the flight!

We decided to head straight through into the departures and do some duty free shopping, as I needed to buy a new battery for the video camera. After we had done that we sat down and had a drink around the bar – my mum and nan are terrified of flying so they had a large drink LOL! By this time our flight had started boarding so we headed down to the boarding area, we waited a while as I hate to be the first on when I have to be on there for so long. When we got on the plane one of the cabin crew noticed my dress and made sure that the over head compartment over my seat was empty so that my dress could go in there. She was really excited and was asking loads of questions, she said she had gotten married at Disney a year ago too.

The flight ended up taking off 30 mins late which wasn’t too bad of a delay. About an hour in to the flight they made an announcement over the loudspeaker that we were going to get married in Disney and brought us over some champagne and truffles which was really nice. They also brought over a big box aswell, when we opened it it was a magnum bottle of champagne, when we looked at the bottle it was a special Moet and Chandon bottle covered in swarovski crystals – it was a gift from my parents to enjoy after the wedding.

The rest of the flight went relatively smoothly and we even managed to make up a bit of our delay and landed 15mins early at 3:30pm Florida time.
We collected our luggage and headed off to the Yacht Club.

I have to say that I have never stayed in the YC before and I was really looking forward to staying here, but I was really disappointed in most things at the hotel. When we checked in it was around 5:30, we gave her our room reservation numbers, all the rooms are booked under Foster/Flower Wedding and ours had a note on it saying Bridal Party. I asked if our room request had been met (id requested a room away from my parents room as their room would be used for the men to get ready in and our room for me to get ready in). Her reply was “how should I know” and walked off into the back room. I thought it was kind of rude and not exactly what i am used to in Disney but i didnt say anything.

We headed up to the rooms and I was disappointed to find out that our rooms were next door to each other – I phoned down to the front desk to explain the situation and see if there was any way we could get moved and I was told the hotel was full. I had other family checking into the hotel the next day and I asked if there was a possibility of having their room instead and was told that that was not an option. I wasnt wanting to argue so i just left it. We were all worn out from the flight by this point so Gary and my dad went over to the boardwalk to pick up some pizzas and we sat out on the balcony and ate that. As most of my family had never been to Disney before we were heading over to MK bright and early tomorrow for park opening - we wanted the kids to see the characters open the park.

December 1st, 2006:

We had booked breakfast at the Crystal Palace for 14 of us at 9:20 so we arranged to meet everyone just inside the turnstiles at 8:45. We had a bit of spare time so we thought we would double check on the reservations for the rest of the week. A good thing we did because WDW Dining had cancelled a bunch of them for some reason so we had to spend 20 minutes trying to sort those out. We met my parents who had been waiting for us in the lobby and as we walked outside we saw the MK bus leaving…typical!! So we decided that we would rather pay for a taxi than be late to meet everyone. We got to MK right on time! We met everyone in the right place and waited for the opening show – we were disappointed in this as usually when the train comes there are characters on the train but because the parade was being taped that day there was nothing so we were a bit disappointed in that – the kids still loved it because they didn’t know any different. We decided to head straight to the Crystal Palace to get checked in. The kids saw tigger through one of the windows and started getting really excited.

We had 4 kids with us for the meal – My Cousins Andrew who’s 9, Robbies who is 3, and the kids of a friend of the Family Charlotte who is 10 and Jack who is 7. It was quite funny as they all had completely different reactions to the characters coming over to them. Charlotte loved them but she is really shy normally so she was a bit quiet to start with! Jack was really excited and got out the autograph book I had given him. Robbie was just completely awestruck – it was so sweet. And Andrew who was pretending he was to cool for the characters but asked his Dad to get the autographs for him anyway! Everyone really enjoyed the meal – not so much for the food but more as it was their first real taste of Disney!

After breakfast we headed out and everyone took some pictures around the castle. We then headed off around the park towards Adventureland first. We did the Jungle Cruise first and as we got to the front of the queue the cast member saw our pins and asked when we were getting married. They then asked Gary what year it was, he innocently said “2006” and they laughed and said no it’s the year of a million dreams and everyone in the party got a free beanie hat with the silver ears! Everyone was really pleased with them and we got some pictures of people wearing them.

93882Florida_2006_-_Wedding_Trip_011.jpg

We spend the rest of the day making our way around the park, my grandparents, Aunt, Uncle and Cousins headed off at about 2 as the kids were still really tired from the flight and Robbie was not feeling well (The kids are really fussy eaters so they were finding it hard).

The rest of us stayed and did some more rides and watched the parade! I quite enjoyed this parade, I much prefer it to the one before with the snowglobes. We left at about 4pm and headed back to the hotel to rest a little before going out in the evening.

That evening we headed over to Crossroads just outside of Downtown Disney and ate at the TGI Fridays there. We played the Pirates Cove adventure golf too which was good fun even though I lost! Im terrible at things like that! I start off well then if I take a bad shot I loose my patience and end up making worse shots! We then headed over the Supermarket to pick up some beers and snacks etc for when the guys get ready in the Hotel room. After that we jumped in a taxi back to the hotel.

great start to your TR:thumbsup2 it sounds like you had a magical time and i can't wait to hear more:)

Great start
and Congratulations again

How is married life

A lovely start, Laura, can't wait to read the rest. Sorry to hear about the unhelpful CMs at the YC, we have unfortunately experienced this at a couple of resorts too. IMHO, the Pop Century has the nicest CMs.

ArielJasmine princess:

Hey, what a great report. You were the exactly the same time as us and we heard your wedding announcement on the plane! As we waited hours to get through the airport and you just went through I think we'll do the twilight ccheck in and probable stay over at a hotel in future.

Hey, what a great report. You were the exactly the same time as us and we heard your wedding announcement on the plane! As we waited hours to get through the airport and you just went through I think we'll do the twilight ccheck in and probable stay over at a hotel in future.

Thats cool!! We have never done the twilight check in before either but with 10 of us (including 2 young kids) and all the luggage for the wedding we thought it would be so much easier. I would definately do it again! i felt so much more relaxed getting up later, knowing i had only 5 mins to get to the airport and knowing i had my allocated seats it was great!

A great start Laura, sorry the Yacht Club were less than accomodating, anyway, looking forward to more:thumbsup2

Great start - look forward to hearing more :)

December 2nd, 2006:

We woke up and headed over to the Boardwalk bakery to have breakfast. It was a lovely day so we decided to sit outside and enjoy our breakfast for a bit before meeting the others. We went back to the room and we had a message waiting so Gary listened to that whilst I got a few things ready. The message was from WDW Recreation, my Dad had always wanted to do the illuminations cruise in the breathless so I had booked it months ago as a surprise for him, the message was regarding the cruise so we decided to go down to the marina area and see what it was. It turns out that the Breathless has several problems with it and it needed to be shipped to Michigan to be repaired so we couldn’t do the cruise. I was really disappointed as I knew how much my Dad would have loved it. However as compensation they said they would give us the regular pontoon boat with snacks and drinks for free! Needless to say that helped the disappointment immensely!! After this we headed back to our hotel room where we were meeting my parents. The rest of my family were arriving today and we had some welcome bags to deliver to their hotels for them.

The bags needed to be put together so we started to do that before my parents had arrived. In each bag had, Disney Dollars, a Disney 2006 postcard with a stamp, a Disney Pen, A Disney pack of playing cards, some of those Mickey Mints, Park Maps, a CD with all the key songs from our wedding on it, Hawaiian Lei’s for each person for our welcome party and a welcome folder which included details about the welcome party the next day, A guys night out and a ladies night out at Downtown Disney, transportation on the day of the wedding and details about Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party. My parents had purchased everyone in our party tickets to this as a thank you for flying all the way over for our wedding. We also had a special bag for the kids, this included a WDW activity book, a Disney card game, 2 Disney Cups, Finding Nemo Beach ball and swimming goggles. We had also done 2 different bags for the families staying in villas, in theirs we included a Disney tea towel and some Mickey pasta. We had given these to them families before they left England.

My parents turned up half way through and helped us finish off. We then set off to go and deliver them to where the guests would be staying. We dropped a few off at the front desk of the Yacht Club and walked over to the Dolphin and dropped a couple off their. We also had a few to drop off at the Caribbean Beach so we got a boat over to MGM and then got a bus to the Caribbean Beach. After we had dropped those off we headed over to Downtown Disney to do a bit of shopping. We had some lunch at the Wolfgang Puck express which was really good, ive never eaten there before. We went into the Christmas shop and we brought a red velvet tree skirt and got it personalised win gold with our wedding date on. We then headed back to our hotel as the men had a tuxedo fitting in my parents hotel room at 2pm. We met Gary’s Dad and Uncle who was his best man in the Yacht Club lobby and headed up to the room. My uncle then turned up 10 mins later (he was our usher). The guys were all in the room by 1:50 so me and my mum headed down to the pool bar for a while, we used the excuse that they needed the extra space but really we just wanted the peace and quiet with a mango daiquiri!!

About 45-1 hour later all the men came down to join us, not a single suit was right! Gary’s trousers were too long and the shirt too big. My dad and uncle had the wrong colour trousers, and the best mans and Gary’s Dads jackets were too big!! Needless to say Gary was not happy! We had all the men measured here in the UK and faxed all the sizes over to Carolyn Allens who had completely ignored all the measurements!! Carolyn Allens had taken all the suits away and said they would redeliver them on Monday night – the night before the wedding!! I was not happy. We sat around the pool for a while and we were joined by Garys mum, nan and granddad and my grandparents for a while. We went back to the hotel room to get changed for the evening. The other part of my surprise for my dad was that we had booked the coral reef restaurant for that evening. We wandered over to Epcot – this is why we love the boardwalk area! Its so nice to be able to walk over to Epcot in the evening! The meal at the coral reef was fantastic – we had one of the tables right by the reef and they had decorated the table in loads of Mickey confetti. After the meal we phoned my grandparents to invite them on the illuminations cruise. They had been having a tough time with my aunt and uncle – they had never been and were going around with my grandparents who just wanted a bit of space from the kids so we thought it would be nice for them. They were not in their room so I left a message saying we had a surprise and could they meet us by the marina at 8:20. Sure enough when we got there they were ready and waiting! We told them we had the cruise and they were so shocked, it was really nice to see them so excited! We went to check in for the cruise and we were led down to the pontoon boat. They had decorated the boat with a big congratulations banner and loads of balloons and streamers all over it, I guess Gary must have told them we were getting married because I didn’t. When we got on the boat as well as the snacks and soft drinks there was some chocolate dipped strawberries and a bottle of champagne. It was such a lovely surprise! It turned out our driver had also been the driver on the first fireworks cruise we did too – she remembered us as on that cruise when we parked under the bridge for illuminations a kid dropped a torch off the bridge and it hit me on the head – she said “how cool I remember that as its never happened before” - Gee thanks I feel so special LOL!! She dropped us all back at the Yacht Club, my parents and grandparents thanked us loads, even though it wasn’t the breathless they still had a great time! My parents kept offering me money as they would not believe it was free!

A wonderful day, Laura, except for the suits, of course. I really hope they were right for the big day. What a lovely idea to make gift bags for everyone, they must have been really touched. The cruise sounds beautiful and some great surprises too.

Looking forward to reading the next one.

ArielJasmine princess:

Sounds like a great day, Apart from the suits. I hope you will get them right just in time for the Wedding.

December 3rd, 2006;

I woke up this morning to Gary loudly rummaging around in the bathroom area. I am NOT a morning person!! I asked him what he was doing making so much noise (politely of course!) and he said that he was looking for a spare pair of contact lenses, as the other ones had split. I told him that the spare pair he brought had been on the side last night

he found those and went to put them in. He opened the packet, which was brand new only to find that one of the lenses had split inside the packet. They must have been a dodgy batch or something. Anyway he starts getting really stressed as he wanted to wear them on the day of the wedding. I could see he was getting really stressed so I told him to go have a shower and I would sort it. As he was having a shower I decided to ring the Opticians back in the UK to see if I could get his prescription, fortunately they were really helpful and arranged to fax the details over to the Yacht Club for me straight away. So I got dressed and popped downstairs to speak with concierge. The lady there was really helpful too and printed off directions and maps for various opticians in the area and gave me phone numbers too. I went back up to the room to let Gary know which made him feel so much better.

After that morning excitement we headed outside to meet my Grandparents, My Parents and Cousins Andrew and Robbie. As a wedding gift for the Best Man and Usher and my Aunt who had helped out with all the table plans and place cards we had decided to book them something special in Disney instead of a more traditional gift. We had booked them on the Around the World on a Segway Tour at Epcot that morning so we were heading over to watch some of their training in innoventions. We got over to Epcot quite early so we went to do a ride for the kids – Journey into your imagination with figment. Robbie was a little scared of the dark parts but he really enjoyed the ride. When we got off and went into the shop he ran straight over to one of the huge stuffed toys and wouldn’t let go! He kept saying he wanted to take figment home, I spent 10 minutes talking him into a smaller version which me and Gary then brought him before heading out of the shop. We then headed over to Innoventions to watch my Aunt and Uncle and Gary’s Uncle on their Segway training. They looked like they were having a good time so we went off to Test Track – Andrew loves cars and had been looking forward to this ride for months! He loved it! As we came out me and Gary got him a test track ride photograph so he could show his parents. We took the kids around to do the new nemo ride by the living seas – that had quite a queue so when we finished we headed off to the electric umbrella to get a drink – Andrew discovered one of the talking bins which amused him for a while! We then went off to meet the Segway Bunch. They all really enjoyed the Segway tour, so I was really glad we chose to book that instead of getting them a watch or something. We left the kids back with their parents and we headed off back to the hotel for a swim.

The one thing I really did love about the Yacht Club was the pool! It was great, definitely one of the best on property. We spent a few hours lounging around the pool and had some lunch at Hurricane Hanna’s before going back up to the room to get changed. We had our Wedding Rehearsal that afternoon at the contemporary and then our welcome dinner at Ohana’s after that. In the welcome bags we had told everyone to meet us at Ohana’s at 5pm – we had 27 people coming so I wanted to get to Ohanas in plenty of time to set a few things up.

Once we were ready we met my parents in the Lobby and got a bus over to the MK, we then jumped on the monorail to the contemporary for the rehearsal. The rehearsal went really well, my Wedding Planner was really sweet and Reverend Jack had everyone in stitches with some of his jokes! Those of us that were there headed over to Ohana’s ahead of the Welcome party to set up a few last minute bits.

As Gary had several family members who were not coming to the wedding we had chosen to have the Welcome Party filmed and included on our wedding DVD. As I walked into the Polynesian I could see Stan our Video guy standing near Ohana’s so we went over and introduced ourselves. I was really glad id chosen Stan to do our Video – he was definitely one of the nicest guys we met during our wedding! He was really friendly and really put our family at ease with being on camera! My uncle went and got the drinks in, they got me one of those cocktails in a hollowed out pineapple, I think it was called a Lapu Lapu. Whilst they were waiting for the rest of my family I went over to the restaurant as we had some things to put out on the table. We had lots of Island confetti with palm trees and parrots etc. We had a small gift for each person which was a tropical soap which I had tied up in cellophane with bright coloured ribbon. We were lucky to all be sat on one long table (27 of us) right opposite the fire pit. One by one all my family arrived – they were all wearing their lei’s too so we could see them coming. Once everyone was here I went over to let the restaurant know and they led us in to the restaurant. No one in our group had ever been to Ohana’s before (except me and Gary). We had told everyone in our family that we were paying for all the food and soft drinks for everybody but if they wanted any alcoholic drinks they would have to pay for those themselves. Whilst we were all eating away Stan went round and recorded a bit with everybody – comments about the upcoming wedding, what were they expecting etc. The food was excellent , but the service was a little slow the waiter had our table and another big table of 30 to look after so it did take a while. Everyone was having a good time though and I don’t think anyone really noticed. The kids loved the coconut races and the limbo etc. Even some of the adults LOL! When it came to paying the bill at the end of the night we had the Disney dining experience card, Both me and Gary had one but we got the discount off everybody which was great. It turned out that only 1 person had ordered a beer so we just paid up the whole bill. After we had finished the meal all the men headed off for a few drinks with Gary at Downtown Disney – they ended up having a few drinks in Raglan Road before heading to the comedy warehouse before coming back to the hotel.

Here are a couple of pictures of everyone at Ohana’s -

93882Florida_2006_-_Wedding_Trip_035-med.jpg

93882Florida_2006_-_Wedding_Trip_032-med.jpg

My cousin Robbie had a great time

93882Florida_2006_-_Wedding_Trip_038-med.jpg

shame about the hassle with the suits and lenses ! still you seemed to be taking things in your stride:)

Another lovely day, Laura. Hope Gary was able to get some new contact lenses. The welcome dinner sounds like a great success and what a nice idea to film it for your wedding video. You must be a very organised person, sounds like you had even more planning than usual for a wedding!

ArielJasmine princess:

Great report :thumbsup2
any more photos please

Just caught up with your report.
I enjoyed the run through of the days and feel that I know many of your family already.

Yes more please :goodvibes

December 4th,2006:

We woke up this morning and had a late breakfast in the hotel. We had deliberately not planned anything much today just in case we had anything to do for the wedding. After breakfast Gary met up with my Dad to go and get his contact lenses. I think he was a little upset about this actually, he had phoned his parents the night before to ask if they would take him to go sort out some contact lenses for the wedding – thinking that they had a car and it would be easier to get from place to place instead of getting taxis. Anyway to cut a long story short they said that as he had decided to stay onsite at Disney this was his problem and they were not going to bail him out. Im sure they didn’t mean it as it came across but I think it upset Gary quite a bit. :sad2:

Anyway my Dad said he was happy to go with him to sort it and suggested they go to ESPN for a beer afterwards (Gary looked decidedly more cheerful then!!:rotfl: ). They headed off at around 10am. Me, my Mum and My Nan then headed over to Periwigs in the Yacht Club to have our nails done for the wedding. The lady who did our nails was Jo, and she was such a lovely lady! Really sweet, my Nan was really sceptical of going to have her nails done and was just going to have a manicure, but she ended up with a full set of Acryllics, she was so funny for ages afterwards making my Grandad open the doors for her and put the milk in her coffee etc she kept saying “I cant ruin my nails you know”:lmao:

My mum really enjoyed it too, I managed to talk her into getting a pedicure too, she works in a Docters Surgery and spends all day on her feet at home so I thought it would be a nice treat. I ended up having a pedicure too which was nice and relaxing! We ended up getting finished at about 2pm and I went over to pay for everyone, only to find out that my Nan had been sneaky and paid for everyone when she left! My Nan had an appointment booked to have her hair done for the wedding the next day so I got my own back and paid for that in advance! :thumbsup2

My grandparents are both retired and do not have much money, I know they spent a lot to come out to Florida for the wedding and they also helped out my Aunt and Uncle so that they could afford to come to the wedding as well. Because of this I like to help them out whenever I can, normally she is really stubborn but since I knew she wouldn’t find out until tomorrow and know she wouldn’t argue with me on the day of the wedding I knew id get away with it this time!! ;) ;)

After this me and my mum headed over to ESPN to meet Gary and my Dad for lunch. My parents really love ESPN – well if im honest my Dad and Gary love it more than me and my mum because of the sport obviously. Gary loves the Red Wings – ive never managed to find a sauce that nice back here in the UK?! Gary had managed to get a pair of contact lenses to wear for the wedding, they were a monthly pair so he would be able to wear them for the rest of the holiday too. I was really relieved. It wouldn’t have bothered me whether he wore glasses at the wedding because I think he looks gorgeous anyway. But I could tell it had really worried him and I could see how pleased he was that it was sorted. Everyone was much more relaxed and chilled now that everything was sorted – nothing else to do for the wedding etc. We went back to the hotel and spent a few hours around the pool before going back to the room to get changed. We had a girls night out planned for this evening and Gary, My Dad, Best Man and Usher were headed over to Disney Quest.

The Girls night was at the Raglan Road, which was such good fun! Id never been to Raglan Road before but I thought it was great, Had a really good atmosphere! We found a table and got some drinks in. A waiter asked if we were there celebrating anything and they all said it was my wedding tomorrow. He said congratulations and disappeared back to the bar. 10 Minutes later he came back with a bottle of champagne and a “magical moment’s certificate” that had congratulations on it, and had been signed by loads of different staff members. I thought that was such a nice gesture! We didn’t stay too long as we had a busy day tomorrow so we headed back to the hotel. Gary was going to stay with his parents at the Villa for that night so I wouldn’t see him before the wedding. It was really strange saying goodbye to him knowing the next time I see him would be as I was walking down the aisle! Everyone left and I went round to my parent’s room to have a few drinks, we ended up playing cards for a while before I went back to my room to go to bed. It was strange being in a hotel room by myself, and I had always thought that I wouldn’t get much sleep that night but I was really relaxed and had nothing to worry about as I knew Disney would be fantastic, so I got a great nights sleep ready for tomorrow. :woohoo: :cloud9:

Next up the Big Day!!! :love: - Dont worry i have Photos for this post LOL!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter