Laundry questions..

The newer wash machines don't use that much water or detergent. One Costco pod cleans a full wash machine. If I put my washer on auto sensor for how much water is required, it always looks to me like it's never enough. Barely covers the clothes. But they turn out fine. And I have a special cycle for sheets and towels that adds just enough water to get them wet and then really does a great job of rinsing and spinning so they feel hardly wet when the come out. Plus I wash everything in cold water. I haven't used warm water on years.

We'll admit it as soon as you admit you know what a 5/8" wrench is ;)

I not only know, but I own one. I always thought it was important to have tools of my own so for a few years my Christmas and birthday list consisted of tools and a tool box. I was so excited when I got my drill LOL

Okay, I'm not totally clueless, BUT...

I usually do my own laundry, and wife does hers (no kids). Over the years I have mastered jeans, shirts, underwear, etc.. When I see a load of towels that need to be done I'm on it.

Now, this morning on my wife's way out the door she asked me to do the bedsheets. There are two dirty sets. So, it certainly appeared as though I could fit both sets in one load (king size), but when it started I noticed the water was just not high enough. I tried to rectify by grabbing a garbage bag and pulling some soaking wet sheets out mid cycle. Let me tell you I make a holy mess. Now I'm worried about throwing off the proper water to soap ratio with the remaining sheets seeing as though I tinkered with the natural formula. So, I stopped the machine, drained it, and restarted. That load is accomplished.
Now for the sheets I pulled out and put into the (clean) garbage bag. I put those in a fresh load and noticed all these air pockets. The sheets weren't going down into the water. So, I stopped the machine and drained and did a spin cycle. I thought the spin would suck out the air. Now I restarted a normal cycle and the air bubbles are bigger than ever!!

What do I do??? How do I get the sheets to go down into the water??

PS- Can you use HE detergent in a conventional washer??

Thanks
MG

I think you're putting way too much effort into this. Put the sheets in, put the soap in, and start it...whatever happens, happens. Let it go the whole way through before declaring it not working. It may be perfectly fine.

I know all the great secretes to good laundry but if I told you I would have to kill you

I think you're putting way too much effort into this. Put the sheets in, put the soap in, and start it...whatever happens, happens. Let it go the whole way through before declaring it not working. It may be perfectly fine.

Yep! I washed sheets this morning too. Put them in, added Tide, started washer, and...

AND...I have no idea what happened next- air bubbles, no air bubbles. I just came back in half an hour or so and threw them in the dryer.

Last edited:
Holy Moses!!!! You didn't check for bubbles???

MG

Nope, Started washer and walked away. I'm female. I had too many other things to do to obsess about potential sheet bubbles.:rolleyes1

Pretty sure it was fine though. It all came out in the wash,:tongue:

The sheets are already back on the bed. My solution to the "how to fold a fitted sheet" conundrum is to strip them in the am rather than make the bed, throw them in the washer, and them remake the bed once they're out of the dryer. Can't remember the last time I folded (wadded up) a fitted sheet.

My solution to the "how to fold a fitted sheet" conundrum is to strip them in the am rather than make the bed, throw them in the washer, and them remake the bed once they're out of the dryer. Can't remember the last time I folded (wadded up) a fitted sheet.

Agreed. Our king-size sheets have the deep pockets so the bottom sheet has elastic all the way around it. Not easy to do the fitted fold thing, no matter how many times I've watched the videos.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter