Late Check Out

simonkodousek

DIS Veteran
Hi,

I'm going to be at the Poly this July :-)woohoo:) and I was wondering where my luggage would go because we have a late check out. Our plane leaves at 7:00 PM and the check out time is 11 AM. I plan to spend that day at Magic Kingdom, then get back to the Poly in time for the Magical Express Service. My question is where will the luggage go? Will the front desk hold it for me?

~Simon :)

Every halfway decent hotel in the USA will store luggage for you after check-out time. WDW resorts are no different.

You can arrange for Bell Services to pick it all up at your room (including your carry-ons) and they'll store it for you until you come back for your DME bus. Just make sure you get your bags back before your bus time -- Bell Services can often get busy and backed up.

Having the bell guys store the luggage isn't considered a late checkout. Keeping the room is considered late checkout.

You might squeak by checking out an hour or so late without a charge, but many hotels will charge you a half-day or more for actually staying in the room.

The AKL charged me a full day to stay in the room until 3:00 and I had pneumonia. :faint: So, I'm guessing Disney isn't too big on late checkouts.

Our experience is it is fairly difficult to get a late checkout at the resorts. They usually tell you that they can hold your luggage but you need to be out of the room so it can be cleaned.

Having the bell guys store the luggage isn't considered a late checkout. Keeping the room is considered late checkout.

You might squeak by checking out an hour or so late without a charge, but many hotels will charge you a half-day or more for actually staying in the room.

The AKL charged me a full day to stay in the room until 3:00 and I had pneumonia. :faint: So, I'm guessing Disney isn't too big on late checkouts.

Wow, you're kidding! We've asked for a late checkout at both of our stays at AKL and they've given us until 1:00... up until 3:00 would have required a half day's rate.

Maybe it depends on how busy they are or who you speak with.

We've done the "late check-out" thing a few times. Here's how it works: They cannot guarantee you late check-out beforehand, so on the morning of your last day, call down to Guest Services (the front desk) and ask if a late check-out is available. They'll let you know if it's possible or not. If it is, you'll be able to stay in your room until 1pm. From what I understand, anything beyond 1pm will be charged to you as an extra day.

I've been able to get late check-out each time I tried, but I try not to request it too often. And again, this is something that they can't give you an "ok" about beforehand (like at check-in), so you won't know if you can get it until the morning of your last day.

Otherwise, do what CleveRocks said; have Bell Services store everything for you until about a half hour before you want to leave, then go back to Bell Services and get your things.

If you're flying on a participating airline, you won't see your checked luggage until you get back to your home airport, you'll only need to grab your carry-ons from Bell Services. It's a great service. And if you're so inclined, give a tip when retrieving your things :)

actually, if you know you want a late checkout, the best time to ask is the day you check-in.

what happens is they limit the number of late checkouts because they have a maximum each housekeeper can be assigned. once it hits that limit, they deny future ones. so you're risking that if you wait until day of, which most people will do.

and yes, according to one CBR CM I know, that's exactly what you should do (her advice, not mine).

and it is free until 1 pm, 1-3 pm is half a night's stay, beyond that is a full night's stay.

but none of this would be worth it to someone with a 7 pm flight, assuming they're using DME and will be set to leave at 4.

actually, if you know you want a late checkout, the best time to ask is the day you check-in.

what happens is they limit the number of late checkouts because they have a maximum each housekeeper can be assigned. once it hits that limit, they deny future ones. so you're risking that if you wait until day of, which most people will do.

and yes, according to one CBR CM I know, that's exactly what you should do (her advice, not mine).

and it is free until 1 pm, 1-3 pm is half a night's stay, beyond that is a full night's stay.

but none of this would be worth it to someone with a 7 pm flight, assuming they're using DME and will be set to leave at 4.

Well it certainly can't hurt to ask at check-in, but we've asked about late check-out while we were checking in several times, at different resorts (Grand Floridian, Polynesian concierge, Caribbean Beach, etc), and every time we were told to call on the morning of our last day to see if it's available because many times reservations change and what may be available now, would or wouldn't be available days later.

It'd be nice if we could request it and get a definite answer during check in, but that hasn't been my experience. But like I said, we've always been able to get late check-out when we have requested it on that last morning.

did you ask at check-in? like asked the CM who was checking you in? that's why. they don't arrange for it.

call housekeeping from your room phone.

we were at the grand floridian in august with a late flight home as well we asked about late check out and were told to check back the afternoon the day before we wanted late check out. they allowed us a 1pm check out time be sure if you do this that you request mousekeeping be informed because we got many phone calls asking why we had not left the room from the keepers. Enjoy your stay!!

No, When we stayed at the Poly, the Hawaii Concierge Staff told me I had to wait until the morning before my check out and call right at 7 AM. I was told it could not be approved before then. The closer you call to 7 AM the better your chance is.

did you ask at check-in? like asked the CM who was checking you in? that's why. they don't arrange for it.

call housekeeping from your room phone.

Yes, we did ask the CM at check-in, who told us to call Guest Services (the front desk) on our check-out morning to see if we could do it. We never spoke to Housekeeping regarding this; the CM at the front desk is the person who told us "yes that's fine, you can have the room until 1pm", each time. And it's not like they put us on hold to call Housekeeping first; they'd tell me right away.

I really didn't think that Housekeeping would have the authority to decide whether guests can stay in a room after check-out or not. :confused3

But maybe things have changed recently? I didn't ask for late check-out on my trip last week, but we did do it on our trip 6 months ago.

well again, the reason why it's limited is because each housekeeper can only handle 2 (?) late check-outs. so it is a function of housekeeping.

and as you see above, PP arranged for it the day before.

but either way, as i said, most people are going to wait until day of, so as long as you call early enough, you should be okay. it's just not the optimal time.

and honestly, i've gotten such bad and inconsistent information from front desk CMs many times before.. but that's me i guess..

DVC resorts do not allow any late checkouts. It takes longer to clean a DVC villa and the housekeepers need all the time they can get.

Wow, you're kidding! We've asked for a late checkout at both of our stays at AKL and they've given us until 1:00... up until 3:00 would have required a half day's rate.

Maybe it depends on how busy they are or who you speak with.
Would I kid you? OK, I would. :teeth: But I'm not this time. :)

Had to pay a full day's rate for four little hours. But I was sick enough to pay whatever they asked. No way I was getting out of bed. No. Flippin. Way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter