Last Minute Trip Has Brought Perspective

disrev

God, Family, Mouse.
We are here currently... Family of 5... Me, wife, daughter (7yo), son (5yo), daughter (2yo).

My kids are growing up disneyfied. This is the 7yo's 8th trip and 2 yo's 4th. We've only come before on what would be considered "slow times." We hate crowds, love the old fp system, and are rope drop - nap - return or hop for the evening type.

The 1st three months of 2015 have been a hot (insert appropriate expletive here) mess professionally and have caused a inordinate amount of time away from home. We literally made the decision to make a trip 17 days prior to arrival (the day after Easter). It had the making for no fp+ options, no adrs and lots of added frustration due to it being potentially busiest week out of the year (sans Christmas or July 4 week).

It is ridiculously busy. People are everywhere. I've NEVER experienced crowds like this. It has been stupid-hot. And, did I mention my wife got ridiculously sick the day we we were set to leave home, leaving me to do the 20 hr drive while she went into a "medicinally induced travel coma?" Miserable sounding trip, right?

Quite the opposite. We're having a blast. Here's a few reasons why...

• We lowered our touring expectation going in.
  • We chose to hit the Water Parks this time around (a first for us and our kids LOVED IT).
  • Somehow I got into Ohana for Supper 5 days out (something I haven't been able to pull of for three trips with months of pre-trip effor) and a character breakfast at Hollywood&vine before DHS opening
  • As mentioned previously I hate fp+ And we had two weeks to try to book. But, I got every fp I wanted at EPCOT yesterday and have a perfect lineup for us tomorrow am at Magic Kingdom (all three mountains by 11:00 for the big kids, Peter Pan, Pooh and Cinderella for the littler one).
  • Last night at Magic Kingdom was one of the most magical nights our family has ever experienced at Disney. It included TTA, COP, Wishes from Tomorrowland, Philharmagic, IASW, Little Mermaid, Barnstormer, and the Regal Carousel. Not the most impressive lineup, but had some great people-watching moment, some great cast member interactions, and several laughter-to-the-point-of-tears moments. Also, the Barnstormer ride was 2yo's 1st roller coaster experience. She screamed with joy through the whole ride.
The moment to sum it all up for me was as we sat and watched the Philharmagic. It's kind of become "the family attraction" for us. I realized as Donald finally got the hat from Jasmine that I had probably only watched 25% of the movie. Why? Because I was locked in on my 3 kids and their engagement, wonder, laughter, and singing along. It. Was. PERFECT.

My point? It hit me today as I reflected on that moment in Philharmagic. This Disney stuff is all about perspective. Granted, I want legacy fp, non-expiring tickets, and an end to "My Disney Experience" as much as the next guy, but when my focus gets so much on that I miss why I origianlly fell in love with this place ... Family and memories.

Don't get me wrong, everyone frustrated with the current state of things, I get it. I'm just choosing to lower some of my expectations (which I know some of you are going to freak out over) and embracing the moments with those I just can't put a price tag on. 4 of "those" are sleeping soundly in the hotel room as I finish typing this post.

Last edited:
Great post!! Great perspective....we are here now as well, the crowds have been more than we expected (first time for us) but seeing those smiles when the kids meet a character or get off of a coaster.........awesome.
Thanks for this - great to see a message like this after we (too) are topping off a great night at WDW.
Have a great time during your trip!!!

As someone who gas been stressing over our plans for our trip 30 days from now, thanks for reminding me why we are doing this....and to relax a bit! Enjoy your trip!

This brought such a big smile to my face. I'm so glad you're having a wonderful trip, and living the Disney dream - enjoying quality time with the people you love!

This is great! We found on our last trip that It was also too hot too crowded at times and too much planning so I'm expecting nothing less this year. Our best memories are some of the unplanned things we did. I miss the days of old when you could just plan your park for the day and that's it but it isn't going to hamper our fun!

This is such a great post! I'm glad you're having a great time! You're making me so excited for my trip! :D

There is nothing wrong with lowered expectations. There is also little as amazing as watching your kids really get into the wonder of it all.

Enjoy the rest of your trip. :)

OP, thank you for putting me back in the correct mindset about our upcoming trip. We will be visiting Disney World July 3rd to July 8th this year. I would normally be very excited about returning but instead I am stressing about the fact that we are going at such a busy time and I am worried we will not have the same experience as the last visits. Concern over using the fastpass+ system for the first time has also been overshadowing things. Reading your post reminded me that it is about spending time with my family and not hitting every ride without big line ups. This is especially important this visit, as the three males in the family say they are pretty well done with visiting Disney. Apparently, future visits would be mother/daughter trips only.

disrev: I never planned on becoming a registered user of the DISboards but I wanted to tell you that your post really helped me this morning. I, like many here, have stressed over the planning. We're taking our DD5 and DS3 on their first trip and I needed your post to remind me why we're going. Last night DH said he was really excited for the trip. When I asked why, he replied "because we'll remember it forever." Enjoy the rest of your trip!

We always went in June/July growing up. It was usually very crowded, very hot and there was no such thing as FP. My last few trips have been in spring or fall. The crowds were not bad like what I keep hearing about now, and the weather was perfect. I am looking forward to 2017 since that will be my first trip in about a decade. I liked the FP system. I'm not sure how I feel about FP+, but I will give it a shot. I do know that I'd rather just enjoy the parks and not stress over the details. Change always happens at WDW. Sometimes it is good. Sometimes it isn't. But I am always willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.

Wonderful account! We were there in December, when it was very crowded, but my little granddaughters still get excited when they see the castle on television. The 2 year old shouts with delight and points to the castle; I ask if she remembers seeing the castle "in person" and she nods yes vigorously. The 4 year old shouts a resounding "Yes!". Totally worth the memories!

Love this post. It is so true. I go to Disney first and foremost to spend time with my husband and kids. Quality time unfortunately doesn't happen as much as it should day in and day out at my house. With two working professionals, a house to take care of, and disabled inlaws, there just isn't a lot of extra time tonsoend real quality time together.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter