• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Large Group Birthday Dinner Getting Impossible to Plan

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it or not but Trails End would be perfect from the sounds of it.

• You can always get a reservation there (its never full as most people don't want to put in the effort to travel to it. Easiest way is to take the ferry to MK and then the boat to Ft. Wilderness and you're right there at it).
  • It has the "meat and potatoes" vibe you need for your party.
  • It's quiet and relaxing (which will be refreshing after a long days drive/flight).
  • Its AYCTE.
  • There is an AMAZING selection of food.
  • The atmosphere of Ft. Wilderness is just gorgeous and there is a lot to see and do within walking distance of the restaurant.

Well, not much luck on the phone this morning. Called several places individually and then got on the phone with Disney Dining. I did have a CM spend a lot of time looking into each area for me (park, resort, and Disney Springs) and he couldn't see anything. He could only see Crystal Palace at 3:45, Chef Mickey's at 9:00PM, and the Spirit of Aloha show, which may be what I have to go with. No Trail's End, nothing at The Wave. I checked Toledo, The Turf, and I can't remember what else but out of luck.

Thanks for all of your suggestions but my only chances are probably as we get closer and people start moving things around.

Well, not much luck on the phone this morning. Called several places individually and then got on the phone with Disney Dining. I did have a CM spend a lot of time looking into each area for me (park, resort, and Disney Springs) and he couldn't see anything. He could only see Crystal Palace at 3:45, Chef Mickey's at 9:00PM, and the Spirit of Aloha show, which may be what I have to go with. No Trail's End, nothing at The Wave. I checked Toledo, The Turf, and I can't remember what else but out of luck.

Thanks for all of your suggestions but my only chances are probably as we get closer and people start moving things around.

Did you call the Swan directly regarding Garden Grove? Most of the restaurants in Disney Springs are not owned by Disney and you might have better luck calling them directly. Disney Dining definitely does not show all of the availability at non-Disney owned restaurants.

You might want to consider American Kitchen Bar and Grill at B Resort and Spa. While it is a "hotel" restaurant it is considered a hidden jem chef driven restaurant. It also has meat and potatoes type dishes.

It is on Hotel Blvd next to Disney Springs.

Another thing to keep in mind, is that when you are looking at the menu, if you don't think you may like the sauce served on a particular protein, ask for it be on the side or eliminated completely.

If there is a side listed for that particular main course that doesn't appeal to you, but there is another side for another main course, ask if you can substitute.

Mind you, there are some dishes where this is not possible as the everything is integral to the dish.

Any servers reading this are probably cringing, but as long as you keep special requests to a reasonable amount there is no issue.

Have you looked at any of the Bonnet Creek resorts? The Hilton has a nice Italian restaurant, good reviews although I’ve never personally eaten there. Bull and Bear is the excellent, if pricey, steakhouse at the Waldorf Astoria. We had an wonderful steak dinner there.

Did you call the Swan directly regarding Garden Grove? Most of the restaurants in Disney Springs are not owned by Disney and you might have better luck calling them directly. Disney Dining definitely does not show all of the availability at non-Disney owned restaurants.

That was one place I had not called yet because it was heavy on the seafood and we have two shellfish allergies in the group...but good news down below!

Hey everyone...well I can't believe my good luck.

Today, Citricos got back to me (I had left a message on Saturday). They have agreed to take us on. The reservations CM said that they normally only take ONE large group per night, but if we could come at 5:15, they could manage two groups as the other one booked is later. I am SO thrilled.

Now Citricos is fancier than my cousin likes, but she said the rest of her family would be cool with it and she would order her filet mignon "naked" and maybe ask for the kids mashed potatoes.

I feel so fortunate to have gotten this reservation.

I appreciate all your suggestions and help, which I will continue to pursue as we still need reservations later in the week (albeit not all 16 of us). Interested in looking at Garden Grove for breakfast one day too. I had no clue about this place.

Again, thanks for the help and for being pretty cool with all my "yeah, but...." comments. Frustrating, I know.

Today, Citricos got back to me (I had left a message on Saturday). They have agreed to take us on. The reservations CM said that they normally only take ONE large group per night, but if we could come at 5:15, they could manage two groups as the other one booked is later. I am SO thrilled.

Now Citricos is fancier than my cousin likes, but she said the rest of her family would be cool with it and she would order her filet mignon "naked" and maybe ask for the kids mashed potatoes.

I appreciate all your suggestions and help, which I will continue to pursue as we still need reservations later in the week (albeit not all 16 of us). Interested in looking at Garden Grove for breakfast one day too. I had no clue about this place.

Again, thanks for the help and for being pretty cool with all my "yeah, but...." comments. Frustrating, I know.

That's awesome! I'm so glad Citrico's got back to you and it will work! I've found the food and service there to be outstanding and I don't think your cousin will have any issues getting a dish adapted to her liking. I'm glad it's so convenient for your family after a long day of travel as well. I think they will take very good care of you there. I hope your family appreciates all of the hard work you put into this! You did an amazing job!

Wow! with all the likes, dislikes, allergies, time restrictions, and such a large group, I am happily surprised that you were able to work something out!
Now you can start planning the birthday cake. 😀

So glad that they are able to accommodate your request. Have a wonderful trip and make great memories!

Now Citricos is fancier than my cousin likes, but she said the rest of her family would be cool with it and she would order her filet mignon "naked" and maybe ask for the kids mashed potatoes
Great news about the reservation! Now repeat after me: " This is the last, very LAST, time I will attempt anything like this for anyone, but especially this cousin. "

You got really lucky. I guess you are aware that the 11/2 date is during Food and Wine race weekend and it's the last weekend of MNSSHP so that has to contribute to the difficulty with reservations. Lots of us made our dinner reservations long ago. Hope the cousin is happy with all your hard work. Enjoy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter