Large contract question

Our offer on a BLT through resale just got accepted. Has 2012 points included so we are stoked. Just waiting for it to all clear so we can make our first reservation. We just could not justify paying 50% more. We are starting small and will see how it goes.

Congratulations!!! That is great that you got the 2012 points as well!!!

Thanks for the additional info. Based on your post I'd suggest you consider a contract in the 200-250 point range at the location you'd be happy staying at most trips. It sounds like BLT is the best option to fit this need. As for off site, don't knock it if you haven't tried it since there are some VERY nice timeshares in the area that are even nicer than DVC in some areas with larger rooms, better pools overall, and more activities. I know a number of people who thought as you do (Disney or nothing) until they actually tried some of the off site options. Don't get me wrong, I love DVC and would prefer staying there all else being equal but it's not equal.

I am curious: which timeshares are you taking about? Marriot? My SIL owns there and she does love it.

I am curious: which timeshares are you taking about? Marriot? My SIL owns there and she does love it.
Please understand I'm not trying to talk you out of the choices you've made, only to make sure you know your options and don't make assumptions that aren't accurate. Staying off property will push you more toward a car but we'd do that anyway.

As for properties I'd put at least as nice as DVC overall, I've posted the list previously, here's a copy of the pertinent part of that info.
Here's my list, there are a few resorts I dont know enough to place but based on other info, I wouldn't list any of them in to top group. There is one alternative lifestyle resort if that matters to anyone. Some are II, some RCI, some both.

Top Group.
4 top Marriott's (1 in RCI)
3 Hilton's
The Fountains (and Oasis Lakes)
Vistana Villages.
Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Reunions

The next group, worth staying or at least considering but definitely less would include the following. This is a broader grouping than the last time I gave this list. There are a few others that I didn't list that should be OK based on rating and awards.

Silver Lake (both ID's)
Vistana
Orange Lake (River Island best) (Now Holiday Inn)
Liki Tiki Maybe
Summer Bay, esp Houses at
Village at Parkway
Westgate Lakes
Other Marriott's (2 in RCI)
Some other Wyndham's

We are timeshare snobs, we expect a quality room and resort. Just clean and functional is not good enough for us.
I think one of the large components is about giving the individual other options outside Orlando. If you want one system to give Disney and other timeshare options, DVC is not a good or reasonable choice to do that. OTOH, if one has to be on property, cash and DVC are the only feasible long term options even though some of these can potentially trade in to DVC at times. Bonnet Creek is essentially on property from a location standpoint. As for the best none DVC option, it totally depends on variables and personal preference but I think those that give you other options would be the top and all of the first groups would plus some of the second. That'd put Bluegreen, Wyndham, Starwood and Marriott as possibilities that would give you other good non Orlando options. The first 3 as points mini systems and Marriott as either a points system or floating weeks system with an internal trade preference. I would steer you away from the Marriott's points system because of the cost.

I hope that helps.

Looking to buy a min of 360 points. (We always need a 2 bedroom villa and we like BLT). My question is do I buy one large contract or should I buy two smaller ones that have the same use year? Is there any benefit to having the points all together or is it better to split it into two? Thanks

When I looked into DVC (late 2012, so don't think I'm an expert) I thought we'd need about 400 points. That gives us a week in summer and one 3 day weekend in a 1 bedroom.

I ended up buying a loaded 200 point contract. My contract has 200 banked 2011 pts, plus all 2012 pts, plus all 2013, etc. So I have 800 pts to use between 2013 and 2014 before I end up at only 200 per year.

What this will do for me is allow me to experience DVC for 2 years with several trips before I make a larger commitment. If I decide I really do want 400 pts I have several options. I can either bank and go every other year, or I can buy another 200 pt contract, or I can buy a 400 pt contract and sell my 200 pt contract. In the meantime I get to experience DVC for only 200 pts worth of maintenance fees rather than 400 pts worth. That saves me about $1200 for the first two years while I try out DVC.

So I suggest you go small, buy half the pts you need and try it out. I think it will be easier to add more points if you bought too few, then to reduce your points if you bought too many.

You definately sound like a perfect candiate for a DVC. I too would recommend
that you look for something in the 200 point range. Then in your first visit, tour the other resorts, you will have a better understanding if you want to add on or not. You may want to buy into another resort afterward.

I would look for a contract that is loaded (last years points and this years). Make sure you understand use year before buying.

You definately sound like a perfect candiate for a DVC. I too would recommend
that you look for something in the 200 point range. Then in your first visit, tour the other resorts, you will have a better understanding if you want to add on or not. You may want to buy into another resort afterward.

Thank you! THis does sound like the best option. If we buy into BLT now with a smaller contract than we can decide if it works well for us. Later maybe we will buy a second contract in a second home resort.

wallawallakids said:
<snip>
I think the 2 bedroom villas would be heaven for us.
<snip>
Our trips are our one splurge.
<snip>
And we are not value folks. Nothing wrong with them, but if I am going on vacation, I want a nice room with all the amenities. It's just the way we are.

Call it my mind working in strange ways, but when I reread this post I got the impression that you've never stayed in a DVC resort. Many on here would recommend you do that first before buying in. (You can rent points from a member, there is a board here on the DIS or you can go through a company like David's Vacation Rentals, he is a board sponsor.)

Also, I just wanted to make sure that you were aware that some traditional hotel room amenities (like daily housekeeping) are not a part of the DVC deal. Generally you get your trash removed and fresh towels on Day 4 and if your stay is long enough, a full cleaning on day 8. Other than that it's all up to you regarding making beds, washing dishes etc. (You can pay for extra towels or extra cleaning.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter