Lack of crowds and Disney's response

The wait times don't seem that bad *except StarWars and Radiator Springs (but it was down for a bunch of the morning).
I was there on Sunday. I'd say most lines hovered around 30 mins. The usual were higher, MFSR, Hyperspace Mountain, etc.. Also was a bit hot in the sun so going into the Path of the Jedi 'movie' was nice since they used the fans to simulate wind when the ships were flying around in space. Which makes total sense. lol.

Any insider info on the rides going down? I've been watching over the weekend and there sure were a lot of rides down in many areas of the park...some, it seemed, for a long time or multiple shutdowns. I guess I'm hoping it's the heat or something real and not CM lunches or breaks, given the staff cutbacks! lol

Or even worse, the way they are resolving the "low crowd" issue...!!😬

We decided to book a last minute August trip while AP’s are still blocked out. I think my new general strategy will be to go when AP’s are blocked out. We didn’t have fun when we went in early December because of the insane crowds. Even less desirable rides had 40+ minute waits. The food booth lines had long waits. It just isn’t fun to deal with that with small children.

Any insider info on the rides going down? I've been watching over the weekend and there sure were a lot of rides down in many areas of the park...some, it seemed, for a long time or multiple shutdowns. I guess I'm hoping it's the heat or something real and not CM lunches or breaks, given the staff cutbacks! lol

Or even worse, the way they are resolving the "low crowd" issue...!!😬
No insider info, but they definitely have cut staffing, which could lead to more of the loading-issue type of temporary closures, or potentially there may even be less maintenance staff available to deal with real issues.

Also, they’ve been running everything at full capacity for months at this point...

It is poor timing that it’s coinciding with the return of normal summer crowds. I don’t think people fully realize the domino effect of headliners going down... there’s the flood of people hitting walkways, nearby food/restrooms, and of course, rides... then the replacement FPs clog up other FP returns... it feels much more crowded in the parks when major rides are going down.

I don’t think people fully realize the domino effect of headliners going down... there’s the flood of people hitting walkways, nearby food/restrooms, and of course, rides... then the replacement FPs clog up other FP returns... it feels much more crowded in the parks when major rides are going down.

Oh man is this true. When we were there at end of June for the recent earthquakes, I read somewhere that a bystander described it as an anthill emptying. I think that image is also a perfect description for a headliner going down. Potty break? Snack time? Smaller rides you were going to skip? Yep. All of the above.

And...FP queue a mile long for the rest of the day!! LOL

We decided to book a last minute August trip while AP’s are still blocked out. I think my new general strategy will be to go when AP’s are blocked out. We didn’t have fun when we went in early December because of the insane crowds. Even less desirable rides had 40+ minute waits. The food booth lines had long waits. It just isn’t fun to deal with that with small children.

Was this a 1st or 2nd week in December trip? I was looking at going the 1st week of December this year, but now I'm not so sure. I had read the 1st week was quieter, but that might be old info.

Was this a 1st or 2nd week in December trip? I was looking at going the 1st week of December this year, but now I'm not so sure. I had read the 1st week was quieter, but that might be old info.

We’ve been going the first week of Dec for years now and in that time it’s gone from quiet to crazy busy. So I think word has got out and it’s now a popular time to visit. Plus candlelight procession on the first weekend in Dec brings crowds.

I don’t mind crowds though as I feel it comes with a great atmosphere.

We’ve been going the first week of Dec for years now and in that time it’s gone from quiet to crazy busy. So I think word has got out and it’s now a popular time to visit. Plus candlelight procession on the first weekend in Dec brings crowds.

I don’t mind crowds though as I feel it comes with a great atmosphere.

I had noticed that hotel availability in general wasn't what I was expecting for a quieter (relatively, of course) time. I don't mind crowds as much as my husband does. I don't want him to be miserable. Thank you for the reply.

Just came back from a trip Wednesday to Sunday. The crowds were very bearable, it wasn't "dead" but most of the rides had wait times around 10-30 minutes. The headliners were usually around an hour (or more, for RSR) but it was easy to get multiple FPs for them throughout the day. We rode Guardians 2-3 times a day and probably could have ridden it more if we wanted to, and we didn't get into the parks until after 9. Most of the FP return times were pretty immediate up until lunch time, when they started being later in the day. We were able to refresh for almost immediate return times throughout the evening. I wish that you could "modify" FPs like at WDW, but we really appreciated the flexibility of MaxPass. Lines were pretty long for food but we took advantage of mobile ordering. It was amazing seeing lines 30+ people deep and then mobile ordering and having our food instantly.

Oh man is this true. When we were there at end of June for the recent earthquakes, I read somewhere that a bystander described it as an anthill emptying. I think that image is also a perfect description for a headliner going down. Potty break? Snack time? Smaller rides you were going to skip? Yep. All of the above.

And...FP queue a mile long for the rest of the day!! LOL
I was at the park on 4th of July when that earthquake hit. I thought the crowds were bearable, but noticed it got insane when all the rides were down after the earthquake . It was kind of crazy for a couple hours then went back to normal.

Just came back from a trip Wednesday to Sunday. The crowds were very bearable, it wasn't "dead" but most of the rides had wait times around 10-30 minutes. The headliners were usually around an hour (or more, for RSR) but it was easy to get multiple FPs for them throughout the day. We rode Guardians 2-3 times a day and probably could have ridden it more if we wanted to, and we didn't get into the parks until after 9. Most of the FP return times were pretty immediate up until lunch time, when they started being later in the day. We were able to refresh for almost immediate return times throughout the evening. I wish that you could "modify" FPs like at WDW, but we really appreciated the flexibility of MaxPass. Lines were pretty long for food but we took advantage of mobile ordering. It was amazing seeing lines 30+ people deep and then mobile ordering and having our food instantly.
I was at the park in Saturday. While it was busy, fastpasses were very easy to get. It only got tricky in the evening when we dealt with 3 different ride breakdowns. We did space mountain and Star tours twice. I noticed on Saturday that crowds were only congested in certain parts. Tomorrowland, Toontown, and Fantasyland were packed! But New Orleans Square and Mainstreet were fine. We had no problems finding benches for quick breaks and only had 1 bathroom line.

I was at the park in Saturday. While it was busy, fastpasses were very easy to get. It only got tricky in the evening when we dealt with 3 different ride breakdowns. We did space mountain and Star tours twice. I noticed on Saturday that crowds were only congested in certain parts. Tomorrowland, Toontown, and Fantasyland were packed! But New Orleans Square and Mainstreet were fine. We had no problems finding benches for quick breaks and only had 1 bathroom line.

So!! Hoping one of you might have been to the DL fireworks either Saturday or Sunday? Was it nuts? Do-able? Vote for a specific day to catch the fireworks? Our DD was in Daddy's arms for the huge Elsa snow moment (we've never been near the castle before!!) and she's talked about it almost everyday for three weeks! Would love to snag another castle view when we return in two weeks...but not sure which day to bet on? When we were there Sunday was empty, but that was before the low crowds info and the $99 pass has picked up.

So!! Hoping one of you might have been to the DL fireworks either Saturday or Sunday? Was it nuts? Do-able? Vote for a specific day to catch the fireworks? Our DD was in Daddy's arms for the huge Elsa snow moment (we've never been near the castle before!!) and she's talked about it almost everyday for three weeks! Would love to snag another castle view when we return in two weeks...but not sure which day to bet on? When we were there Sunday was empty, but that was before the low crowds info and the $99 pass has picked up.
I didn't do Fireworks Saturday because we did Fantasmic. But people do begin camping around 5 or 6 pm. We saw some people at that time scattered on the sidewalks on main street too. I personally would never camp that long for fireworks. I don't have the patience or attention span to sit that long. Whenever I do see the fireworks, I show up 30 minutes max before it begins, and even that is torture lol. I just don't like standing around.

I didn't do Fireworks Saturday because we did Fantasmic. But people do begin camping around 5 or 6 pm. We saw some people at that time scattered on the sidewalks on main street too. I personally would never camp that long for fireworks. I don't have the patience or attention span to sit that long. Whenever I do see the fireworks, I show up 30 minutes max before it begins, and even that is torture lol. I just don't like standing around.

Agreed!! Which is why that was our "first ever" castle view of the fireworks!! 😆

Something else I wanted to add. Crowds have for sure picked up, but I've had no problems getting dining reservations. This past Saturday we had BB lunch for the first Fantasmic show. I only booked that maybe 2 weeks prior, and while I was booking there were a few other times available to choose from. Then yesterday I booked a lunch for Carthay (group of 4) next Saturday. That also had plenty of availability. So yeah. This is one interesting summer. Maybe more locals don't eat at the restaurants? I feel like each visit I've done this summer I've eaten at a restaurant and have had no issues getting the times I wanted.

Something else I wanted to add. Crowds have for sure picked up, but I've had no problems getting dining reservations. This past Saturday we had BB lunch for the first Fantasmic show. I only booked that maybe 2 weeks prior, and while I was booking there were a few other times available to choose from. Then yesterday I booked a lunch for Carthay (group of 4) next Saturday. That also had plenty of availability. So yeah. This is one interesting summer. Maybe more locals don't eat at the restaurants? I feel like each visit I've done this summer I've eaten at a restaurant and have had no issues getting the times I wanted.
I think it's still that people didn't really PLAN trips for this summer.

Anecdotally, I know a family who came out last Wednesday-Friday from Phoenix because they saw something on the news in Phoenix about how Disney was empty two weeks ago and planned a trip for the following week - they said they knew several other families who did the same thing. I know another family from Seattle who came the week after the 4th after seeing reports of the light crowds online. Neither of them did any table service (the Seattle family didn't even try because "surely it's all booked a week out," which of course, it wasn't...) I've spoken with several people in the parks lately who are there very last-minute - all due to the low-crowd reports. Literally EVERY single person says that's why they came. So, none of those people had planned to be there until very recently. (Also, this fits the narrative that crowd perceptions drive attendance in a way NOTHING else does, but I digress...)

I've personally taken five people so far with the "$99 AP friend" deal, and will be taking two more before the month is over... but none of those were planned as of a month ago, and they're all one-day visitors who aren't going to spend park time on table service.

So, it's not a normal crowd that's at Disneyland right now. So many things are weird; I'd love to have access to the data on attendance and crowd patterns right now because I'm fascinated by it.

There is no quiet time anymore during the holiday season. I would prep your husband for very full parks.

Thank you. We took our kids for their first trip 10 years ago, at the beginning of Holiday Time in November. That was a dream trip as far as crowds go. It was my first trip back in 13 years and I had only gone during the summers up to that point. So it was a very different experience crowd-wise at the time. Practically everything was walk on to a 5 minute wait. Certainly not expecting that this year but was hoping for something a little less crushing crowd-wise than the reports I have read about the last 3 weeks of Dec.

We went the second weekend of December once and it kind of put me off of going at that time of the year, BUT do know that I made a mistake in not checking when APs were unblocked and went the first Saturday they were, so.

I probably could have done a little better, but that was the busiest I've ever seen Disneyland.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter