Lack of crowds and Disney's response

I am hoping this means going forward they slow down or stop with the increases on things. Before the summer began I am sure many people were scared of the crowds. I was one of them. I almost didn't renew my pass b/c I thought going to the parks wouldn't be worth it. But there are many people who just can't afford Disney anymore with the last increase. Since Disney has been advertising the lower the expected crowds, I've met a few former passholders who said they would love to get passes again, but just can't afford it. Some are also waiting until the next ride opens. They figure if they are going to drop thousands on a trip, they might as well wait until everything is complete.
I can just speak for myself but Disney has priced me out of WDW. I always had an AP and we went 2x a year. After the huge price increase in AP a few years back I stopped getting AP and decreased my trips to once a year.
This year no WDW trip. DL is cheaper for me, and stay off site. And instead of WDW we went to Universal. Went in May, and again this sept with AP!
I’d love to get a WDW AP again but with price increases and crazy room rates I won’t. WDW is no longer a yearly trip for me.
Even if they stopped increases, the damage has been done. And they’d have to bring back some pretty good room discounts. I remember staying at Poly with 45% AP Discount. For DL $700/night for a room is insane. I can’t believe people would pay that.

For DL $700/night for a room is insane. I can’t believe people would pay that.
Back in the spring my friend’s sister was going to surprise my friend with a room at one of the on-site hotels for her bday...then she found out it was going to be $500 for one night! And that was at Paradise Pier! She technically could afford it, but she travels extensively and has stayed at many high-priced hotels. After reading the accommodations of the onsite hotels, and the offerings, she refused to pay that for a Disney hotel lol. Her reasoning was “yes I can afford this, but this really isn’t worth what they are charging! How do people pay this?!?”

So we ended up staying at a Marriott for free since their mom had points lol.

I can just speak for myself but Disney has priced me out of WDW. I always had an AP and we went 2x a year. After the huge price increase in AP a few years back I stopped getting AP and decreased my trips to once a year.
This year no WDW trip. DL is cheaper for me, and stay off site. And instead of WDW we went to Universal. Went in May, and again this sept with AP!
I’d love to get a WDW AP again but with price increases and crazy room rates I won’t. WDW is no longer a yearly trip for me.
Even if they stopped increases, the damage has been done. And they’d have to bring back some pretty good room discounts. I remember staying at Poly with 45% AP Discount. For DL $700/night for a room is insane. I can’t believe people would pay that.

I have never been able to wrap my head around the prices of DL hotels. I mean...my husband is a dentist, we do pretty well, and I still would not pay that. Ever. I would pay that for an overwater bungalow in Fiji, not Anaheim. We can stay for $49/night with a combo of points and other things at the Courtyard and I have to believe it's just as nice or nicer.

I think it will be interesting to see what happens when the AP blackouts have lifted. The fact that they are sending emails out to Deluxe passholders reminding them that they can go to DCA may point to a lower number of AP holders who chose not to renew after the recent price hike. I think they expected Deluxe APs to flood DCA all summer and that simply hasn't happened. I wonder if the crowds will really increase again significantly (more than at the same time last year) when the blackouts are lifted. I think Disney needs to be careful because once people decide to step away from the AP program due to price or other factors, they may realize they can live without it and only come once or twice a year, just buying day tickets as needed. I know at least 3 former Deluxe AP families with this mindset. Once you alienate your most loyal customers, it is hard to win them back.

Absolutely! I don't think anything could top how bad the crowds were in July this year at WDW. I totally think it was due to limited park hours--but the whole theory of summer being the new slow time at WDW must have stopped this summer (and we've been the past 6 July's and I've also been at WDW over spring break and NY, so I have seen crowds). It was just insane. All of our FP lines were about 20 plus minutes each--and then once you used your pre scheduled 3, nothing else existed as a 4th option.
This past July was our first-ever summer visit to WDW. We were shocked at how the FP lines were simply an "invite" to a long wait. Most wait times, even using FP, were 20+ minutes and one was nearly an hour. What? Why? Where did this come from? {shrug?}

I think it will be interesting to see what happens when the AP blackouts have lifted. The fact that they are sending emails out to Deluxe passholders reminding them that they can go to DCA may point to a lower number of AP holders who chose not to renew after the recent price hike. I think they expected Deluxe APs to flood DCA all summer and that simply hasn't happened. I wonder if the crowds will really increase again significantly (more than at the same time last year) when the blackouts are lifted. I think Disney needs to be careful because once people decide to step away from the AP program due to price or other factors, they may realize they can live without it and only come once or twice a year, just buying day tickets as needed. I know at least 3 former Deluxe AP families with this mindset. Once you alienate your most loyal customers, it is hard to win them back.
Well ... we were priced out a few years ago after holding long-time SoCal or Deluxe passes. Purchasing 'day tickets' became an unpleasant thought so we stopped going altogether except for special member parties (DVC) or one hard-ticket after hours event. Then ... TA DA! ... enter the Flex AP. We snapped up one each and are loving this pass. Yeah! We feel "included" again.

I have never been able to wrap my head around the prices of DL hotels. I mean...my husband is a dentist, we do pretty well, and I still would not pay that. Ever. I would pay that for an overwater bungalow in Fiji, not Anaheim. We can stay for $49/night with a combo of points and other things at the Courtyard and I have to believe it's just as nice or nicer.
Sheepishly, I did decide to splurge and book it.... GCH Premium View CL , 5 nights SEPT 2-7. I decided to bite the bullet and pay the ridiculous $5,000'ish dollars because it is my 50 bday trip, my son's red seal trade graduation celebration, my first time to DL in about 30 years, and lastly I booked my boys in a STANDARD view room at 3k (they paid half of it, I paid the difference) only so we can all be close together..... I know I could get a hotel cheaper, but I really want to experience staying onsite so I just went for it. I won't do that again likely will go back to WDW in the future for much better pricing, but I just had to try it once. For some it's worth the splurge but I agree the pricing is quite shocking

Sheepishly, I did decide to splurge and book it.... GCH Premium View CL , 5 nights SEPT 2-7. I decided to bite the bullet and pay the ridiculous $5,000'ish dollars because it is my 50 bday trip, my son's red seal trade graduation celebration, my first time to DL in about 30 years, and lastly I booked my boys in a STANDARD view room at 3k (they paid half of it, I paid the difference) only so we can all be close together..... I know I could get a hotel cheaper, but I really want to experience staying onsite so I just went for it. I won't do that again likely will go back to WDW in the future for much better pricing, but I just had to try it once. For some it's worth the splurge but I agree the pricing is quite shocking
I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time! The GCH CL staff inside of the lounge are great and GCH is such a beautiful place to stay. What an awesome 50th bday splurge!!

No judgment here. If you are happy with the price you are paying, you will have a wonderful time. The GCH is an amazing resort. We did 3 nights over July 4th and had a fantastic stay. We paid just around $425/night with taxes (military discount...yay!) and only booked a Courtyard view room. I would have paid rack rate if I had to, though, as this was a very special family bonding stay before my husband left for a year of overseas work. Special times call for special considerations.

I hope you have an amazing trip!

No judgment here. If you are happy with the price you are paying, you will have a wonderful time. The GCH is an amazing resort. We did 3 nights over July 4th and had a fantastic stay. We paid just around $425/night with taxes (military discount...yay!) and only booked a Courtyard view room. I would have paid rack rate if I had to, though, as this was a very special family bonding stay before my husband left for a year of overseas work. Special times call for special considerations.

I hope you have an amazing trip!
THANK YOU! 100% what I feel.... although steep, special times call for splurges once in awhile. I just chalk it up to the cost of vacation. Thanks for the GCH love, I am looking forward to it! Thanks to you and yours for your hubby's service/ family support.....My hubby was military (Canadian combat engineer) for 22 years.... it was his leave from his Afghanistan tour that we went to WDW for our first time as a family (my boys where 11 and 15) it was where we fell in love with Disney. My boys are joining us on this trip (now 23/27) it's the one place we go as a family that we all just laugh and have fun, and leave the stressors of real life behind. This trip definitely deserves the extra and sometimes that is priceless.... so looking forward to it :)

I'm in the same boat. We decided to stay on-site because we are celebrating my parents' 50th anniversary, and they had their honeymoon at the Disneyland Hotel. They haven't stayed there again since, and I've never stayed there. This is a bucket list trip, probably a one-time experience, at least it will be at these rates.

It was really hard to not get hopeful, watching all the news about low crowds. But now we're spending the night with my MIL on our way to CA- she never watches the news- and even she's heard that Disney is losing money and now guests have to face longer lines because DLR is understaffed. It's interesting that the news is picking this up now, and that what's being spread seems really confused and not really well researched.

So, what has the park been like lately? I guess all the "news" coverage makes me nervous we'll be miserable and overcrowded.

I'm currently a deluxe AP holder residing in NorCal. I know for my DH and I, it's not worth the flight or drive to just go into DCA. (With the exception of this coming Saturday when we're heading to DCA because I had Southwest travel credits.) I definitely think that they missed the mark by blocking out deluxe holders for the entire summer. I feel like there are a lot of people in Central and Northern CA that hold deluxe APs and the incentive to hold them has drastically gone down.

Our APs expire in November, and i'm currently debating if we even want to renew. Originally I was not planning on renewing since I didn't think we'd get the value out of the passes for another year, but now with the introduction of the flex pass i'm considering it again.

Sheepishly, I did decide to splurge and book it.... GCH Premium View CL , 5 nights SEPT 2-7. I decided to bite the bullet and pay the ridiculous $5,000'ish dollars because it is my 50 bday trip, ...
Sounds about right for a 50th B'day celebration! Have a great time!

Oh no judgment here either, I hope you have a great time - you deserve it at those prices!! It just will always shock me how full they are and how the average salary could ever afford that.

I think the real problem for Disney is how to „stabilize“ the situation again...
Right now it sounds like they are in a panic mode trying to cut costs as quickly as possible and that’s the problem I foresee...
I think many guests just took a break because there were scared of crowds and will return in the next months and next spring: beginning of summer at the latest it should be back to normal...
but if Disney now cuts costs without thinking it through and this results in less „magic“, less „pixie dust“, less entertainment, longer waits because they reduced staffing... so essentially a DL in cost saving mode...they probably make the situation worse... because many won’t pay the high amounts of $$$ to visit DL if it isn’t the magical experience they were used to! Many pay those extra $$$ because of the Disney magic because visiting DL is special but it if it isn’t anymore, there isn’t a reason to pay extra $$$...

They miscalculated the situation, but now they should try to limit damage instead of making it potentially worse...

Have a wonderful birthday.

My teenage son just said, "Mom! Did you know hardly anyone was at Disneyland this summer?!" Ha! I don't know where he heard that, but yes I was fully aware. His comment was like putting salt on an open wound. I watched the reports of low crowds and wished it made financial sense for us to go, but it just didn't. Short visits are just too expensive and we don't have time for APs right now. It will be interesting to see how the next year goes. 3 variables are staffing, crowds, and cost. It sounds like Iger likes the cost, but if the crowds come back and Disney is understaffed then it could end up being an expensive miserable vacation for many.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter