Lack of crowds and Disney's response

That was my perception too and why we planned for our trip to be in September, hoping that the crowds will have died down some or moved on to Florida for the opening of star wars there.
I think a lot of people did this... and I think the fall might be kind of nuts as a result. Kind of like everyone avoiding the parks on the weekend because “it’s too crowded” and as a result Mondays are often busier than the weekends.

Last edited:
I think a lot of people did this... and it think the fall might be kind of nuts as a result. Kind of like everyone avoiding the parks on the weekend because “it’s too crowded” and as a result Mondays are often busier than the weekends.

I'm slightly worried about this but I also think that because of the way they have tiered/rolled out the opening of SWGE that the demand wont be as crazy by time Sept rolls around. Undoubtedly it will busier than it is now but I dont see it being a mad house. The only thing that could potentially tip the scale, imo, is if Rise of the Resistance opens between now and then.

I'm slightly worried about this but I also think that because of the way they have tiered/rolled out the opening of SWGE that the demand wont be as crazy by time Sept rolls around. Undoubtedly it will busier than it is now but I dont see it being a mad house. The only thing that could potentially tip the scale, imo, is if Rise of the Resistance opens between now and then.

I hope you're right!

I think they're panicking for sure.

I do expect crowds to pick up - the passholder deal is pretty killer (and available to blocked APs, which is a big pool), and the simple fact that people are discussing the LACK of crowds will bring in crowds. That's how it goes. I also think that the end of August-Christmas is going to be pretty consistently nuts - the fact that D23 crowds coincide with APs getting back in seems like a nightmare to me, and I think a lot of people put off their trips "until the crowds die down," but now that will bring crowds throughout the end of the year. ROTR is a big wild card, though, so who knows?

But, overall, the "opening of SWGE madness" was quite the opposite. The perception of high crowds continues to be the most effective way of predicting low crowds (and vice versa), much more than I even realized... other than the week or two after Christmas, it's gotten more and more pronounced that "anticipated high crowds" and "anticipated low crowds" very often swap entirely at DL.
So here's a question. If the perception of high crowds causes people to flee, thereby creating low crowds, does that mean there is a possibility of another huge attendance dip right after ROTR opens? If so I hope they open it next spring ;)

I think the reservation system backfired on them, also. I think some people panicked and booked those not even knowing if they could attend. I read reports of people who either had a friend that couldn't go - or the whole party didn't actually go. I wouldn't plan on going to DL during that month if I didn't have a reservation. For those of us who thought later on maybe a trip would work - your only option was to stay at a resort hotel - which they had SOOOO overpriced. Plus the blocked APs. Not sure who they thought would be in the park?

The rumors about ROTR (which are few and far between) have a me a bit worried about September. But then we were all worried about SWGE in general and it's been fine, so maybe ROTR will be fine too? We are locked into September as it's for an actual birthday, so no chance of changing this time, but I really wished we'd booked for early August instead. But as is typical with DL, you just can't predict all the things.

I just keep reminding myself that even a busy day at DLR is better than a day at home, and if we have a schedule and use MP we'll be ok no matter what. That worked well for us last holiday season.

Last edited:

The rumors about ROTH (which are few and far between) have a me a bit worried about September. But then we were all worried about SWGE in general and it's been fine, so maybe ROTR will be fine too? We are locked into September as it's for an actual birthday, so no chance of changing this time, but I really wished we'd booked for early August instead. But as is typical with DL, you just can't predict all the things.

I just keep reminding myself that even a busy day at DLR is better than a day at home, and if we have a schedule and use MP we'll be ok no matter what. That worked well for us last holiday season.

Amen! We are locked in too so I'm with you on the being worried about ROTR. Part of me would love if it opened before we go or even while we are there but part of me hopes that it not being open will help keeps crazy crowds away.

The executives have to be in a full blown panic. Cars Land brought much bigger crowds. Even Indy crowds were bigger back in the mid 90s. Has the constant price increases over the years finally caught up with Disneyland? Or is Star Wars land a disappointment? Is one ride not enough for what they are charging people? Is the opening in phases their downfall? I can see the tourist crowd staying away but I assumed the locals would have overrun the place this week. Has Disneyland finally gotten too big for their britches?

Yes, yes yes yes yes. Many people have not renewed APs (including us). Even though we are from AZ, when we went, we would stay onsite, spend $$$$$, ate all meals in the parks, hotels or DTD. Well, the jump in the prices for everything made us take a step back and say, not a decent value for us anymore. We have a Knotts AP, so when we do go to CA, we go there. Perhaps Disney needs to realize they are losing AP spenders, and take a long look at prices and perceived value.

Along with what everyone else is saying I think it may be than many Star Wars fans are not also Disney fans and for them the cost to visit for one attraction and some cool (yet expensive) experiences may not be worth it. Also many WDW vets may just be waiting until they can visit on their coast.
Cars Land for example, that drew all the millions of Disney/Pixar fans who were excited to not only see the new area but to visit all of DLR and it drew people from everywhere since it’s one of kind.

I too have a trip booked in September for the Halloween party and based on the fact that no parties are sold out and there’s plenty of hotel rooms still available I’m holding out hope that it won’t be complete insanity,

Just my .02, but, why get excited to ride one attraction, and that attraction is one which looks like it is geared toward the front two seats, with the remainder at the whims of the front. Totally an attraction that really has no pull for me, even though i enjoy the Star Wars universe. When other attractions open, things may change. Am going to be there at the end of the year, but, really, for DL and CA, with SWGE, and not for SWGE with DL and CA

This feeling may not be limited to me, and, the threat of crowds, I wouldn't want to go right after the opening occurred

Soon enough crowds will be crazy again. I think the die hards all had reservations and once you buy a droid or anything else what will be the draw to go back with only one ride. I did not think the ride was worth it unless you get a front seat. I was in a middle seat and could not follow along with what was going on at all. I like how Mission Space at least has everyone facing the screen. I sure hope the 2nd ride is going to be better but if not I highly doubt I will go back into SWGE for awhile. Eventually though the crowds will come back but honestly if they did price people out and the experience of less crowds is the result then I am happy to pay the increase.

People are funny. The #1 complaint about DL (even more than cost) is crowds. Too crowded. Too crowded. And predictions of apocalyptic crowds this summer.

Disney specifically said they would work to address the problem of the park being too crowded. They came up with the reservation system. They did a massive push to get the word out. And they are tracking it as evidenced by the recent surveys specifically about crowds and lines. And most shockingly... it seems to be working!!! Crowds and wait times are great!

But despite all that... people are convinced that this is some kind of unexpected disaster that has the brass panicking.

Sure, they’re bringing back blockout tickets, and adjusting cast block dates (which isn’t unusual) but it seems to me this is all part of a planned major effort to adjust operations to combat the #1 complaint about DL: crowds. Not some unexpected disaster.

As a guest, SW:GE opening was an amazing smooth experience, and as a frequent guest I think they are doing an awesome job fixing the biggest problem I have with the park... the crowds!

I say GOOD JOB!!

@dieumeye I was going to say something similar. People were complaining how crowded it has been. Then the crowds are low and still complaining. I'm not worried about it. Or trying to pin it one ONE thing and ONE thing only.

Damned if they did and damned if they didn't. I've been thinking about that a lot myself too.

I doubt Disney sees this as a failure. I would be surprised if there were not expectations of lower crowds given ROTR wasn't going to open with the opening of the land. Some people have stayed away specifically because of that. They want to experience it all at once.

Not only did they open SWGE, but they also ramped up ticket prices across the board. It's $142 for kids, $148 for adults to get in, no park hopper - that was a bit of a shock. Lines at the ticket windows are short too. I know we waited to see what the crowds were going to be like before we decided to go.

I don't hear anyone here complaining about the low crowds exactly, just... speculating. Without a doubt, the last month to six weeks has created an unparalleled guest experience at Disneyland, which may well have been a once-in-a-lifetime experience. I wish we could have been there!

It just doesn't seem like Disney purposefully invested the amount it did into SWGE, a new parking structure, painting the castle and the other preparatory improvements around the park, installing boarding group signs, etc., all because it intended for crowds to be this low. There is just no possible way this is what Disney had in mind, even if they were looking for ways to ease park crowding. I just saw an article today - "Is Star Wars Galaxy Edge Already a Flop?" Now, I am NOT SAYING it is a flop. Oga's and Savi's are beyond popular. Every Star Wars fan who has been there has only glowing reviews--and most non-Star Wars fans as well! But headlines with the word "flop" in them are hardly what Disney was after. Crowds and long lines are oppressive when they are constantly present, day in and day out. But crowds and long lines surrounding major events create a perception of desirability, exclusivity, and excitement, which Disney may have accidentally deprived itself of by unrolling such a carefully designed opening. Understanding that WDW and DL are two entirely different parks, I am willing to venture a guess that Disney is not going to be so careful to control crowds in Orlando next month.

But despite all that... people are convinced that this is some kind of unexpected disaster that has the brass panicking.

Sure, they’re bringing back blockout tickets, and adjusting cast block dates (which isn’t unusual) but it seems to me this is all part of a planned major effort to adjust operations to combat the #1 complaint about DL: crowds. Not some unexpected disaster.

If they have to cut prices and make special deals just to get people to show up during the first week its open to the public, from a business perspective, its a massive failure. TDA wants packed parks everyday. Packed parks are highly profitable. Thats why they are starting with the discounts and they will contine until the parks are packed again. But I agree the current crowds for park goers are wonderful. I'm amazed that they are so empty. I think Disney is too, but not in a good way. It appears they thought the product they are putting out was much more valuable than what the public thinks of it at its current price.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter