Kohls Cash question! If someone returns a gift that earned Kohls cash

Kohls does kohls cash to get you back in the store or on their website

I also believe that if the item you bought with the kohls cash is returned you get the refund in the form of a store credit. For the amount you were charged including the kohls cash. If you buy a $20 gift and pay for it with $10 kohls cash the person returning it would get $20 store credit

You get the Kohl's cash you used back as another Kohl's cash. (blue instead of green) You can use that cash right away, but it's good for 30 days only - it does not get extended.

Couldn't he just exchange it without a receipt? That way it won't hurt your Kohls cash or his refund?

Couldn't he just exchange it without a receipt? That way it won't hurt your Kohls cash or his refund?

If they do an even exchange for color or size, it doesn't hurt the Kohl's cash. If they do a return without a receipt, they will get the lowest price the item was for the last two months. That's why you should always get a gift recipt, that way they will get the price you paid on a merchandise credit, and your Kohl's cash won't go down.

And another piece of advice: please leave UPCs intact. With the new gift receipts, we can't see each item, so we need to have the UPC to scan. You can rip off the price or black it out, but please don't cut the UPC off.

I work for Kohl's customer service. There is some incorrect information here.

If you get gift receipts for the items that you give to others, and they return the items, they get the price you paid back as a merchandise credit. If you earned Kohl's cash for the purchase, and redeem it, it doesn't come out of the refund when they have the gift receipts.

But if you have a regular receipt and not a gift receipt, the Kohls cash is deducted, right? At least at the stores in my city, that is how they do it.

I was going to say, if it does onto a merchandise credit it doesn't hurt Kohl's cash, but if all else fails the no receipt would work.

To verify, If you have the gift receipt and you ask for a store/merchandise credit you will receive the entire price paid for the item and do not lose kohls cash? Also, can you use a coupon when paying with a merchandise credit? Thanks.

To verify, If you have the gift receipt and you ask for a store/merchandise credit you will receive the entire price paid for the item and do not lose kohls cash? Also, can you use a coupon when paying with a merchandise credit? Thanks.

When you have a gift receipt, you only get a merchandise credit. You do not lose Kohl's cash. And you can use most coupons and pay with a merchandise credit. If the coupon is a Kohl's Credit Card scratch off, some stores won't let you use a merchandise credit. (the store I work in lets you use a MC to pay only if you have a Kohl's charge card)

Typically they would give you the lowest sale price without a receipt, so it could be for far less than what OP paid for it which is what the gift receipt would be for. If he was exchanging it for a different size or color and its the exact same shirt, they *should* do an even exchange but I have not had consistent luck with that at my local Kohl's store.

Typically they would give you the lowest sale price without a receipt, so it could be for far less than what OP paid for it which is what the gift receipt would be for. If he was exchanging it for a different size or color and its the exact same shirt, they *should* do an even exchange but I have not had consistent luck with that at my local Kohl's store.

At the store I work, we do even exchanges without receipts but they might have problems if they try to return the item they exchanged.

We used to be able to do even exchanges for the same item (ie, man's shirt for man's shirt) no matter the brand. Now even the brand (Dockers for Dockers) is part of the exchange rules. And if one of the items is a clearance item, and the other isn't, we can't do an even exchange.

When you have a gift receipt, you only get a merchandise credit. You do not lose Kohl's cash. And you can use most coupons and pay with a merchandise credit. If the coupon is a Kohl's Credit Card scratch off, some stores won't let you use a merchandise credit. (the store I work in lets you use a MC to pay only if you have a Kohl's charge card)
I bought a pair of shoes as a gift, they're the wrong size. I earned KC that I used toward another gift. Can I use the packing slip as a gift receipt and get merchandise credit? I'd love to exchange the right size if any of the stores near me had the right size, but none do.

Kohls is a math problem! You have to really think things through if you want the best deal!

I totally agree. We rarely buy anything at Kohl’s anymore, especially gifts. I wish Kohl’s would just price there products without Kohl’s cash involved. It is just too complicated. And, who wants to have an embarrassing situation with a gift that needs to be returned, if it was purchased with Kohl’s cash, or returned and the Kohl’s cash was already used.

I have completely given up on trying to figure out Kohl's cash...or their exchange policy, or when returning something ordered on line...

If I shop over in the city where my mom lives and have anything to do, such as returns or exchanges there is no hassle at all... no problem and they take care of it... At my local one, its total depends on who is behind that desk...and the manager on duty... I ordered a couple of shirts on-line no Kohl's cash involved in transaction received or spent... one shirt was the wrong size for my grandson, and the other one was the wrong color for me... the manager was like that's not our merchandise... I was like - yes it is... it even had the tickets, packing slip and receipt... I had to pull it up on line to show him is was there's, then he says oh okay,... then said well you only get back x amount because of the kohl s cash... I was like what, I did not even get, use or spend Kohl's cash... I said never mind, and took everything back home... when I went over to my mom, her Kohl's took everything back, without a problem...

done with Kohls cash and Kohls. I bought some stuff on BF and had $45 in Kohls Cash that I used towards an on line order for for Van's sneakers for my DGD. They cost $59.99 less $45 and 20% (I think) sale. My DD had sent me the wrong color link to place the order! I knew they would not get the full refund if I gave them my receipt so they tried to do an in-store exchange. Nope even though the exact same item and color she wanted was in stock, they would not allow the exchange; said the color she had was now a "clearance item". The box had a Kohl's price sticker on it showing price of $59.99 so asked for store credit in that amount. Again no, because item they were returning was now on clearance. She ended up getting ~$23.00 in store credit; a few dollars more than she would have received had I given the receipt.
Lesson learned. Should have used the Kohls Cash on something for myself that I didn't need but would not have returned

I have completely given up on trying to figure out Kohl's cash...or their exchange policy, or when returning something ordered on line...

If I shop over in the city where my mom lives and have anything to do, such as returns or exchanges there is no hassle at all... no problem and they take care of it... At my local one, its total depends on who is behind that desk...and the manager on duty... I ordered a couple of shirts on-line no Kohl's cash involved in transaction received or spent... one shirt was the wrong size for my grandson, and the other one was the wrong color for me... the manager was like that's not our merchandise... I was like - yes it is... it even had the tickets, packing slip and receipt... I had to pull it up on line to show him is was there's, then he says oh okay,... then said well you only get back x amount because of the kohl s cash... I was like what, I did not even get, use or spend Kohl's cash... I said never mind, and took everything back home... when I went over to my mom, her Kohl's took everything back, without a problem...
Ouch that sounds like a store philosophy issue. Sure situational factors should be included when dealing with returns but it seems strange that one location seems to give you no trouble and the other can't even be bothered to figure out, before stating with certainty, if the item you are returning is an item they sell in addition to other issues.

done with Kohls cash and Kohls. I bought some stuff on BF and had $45 in Kohls Cash that I used towards an on line order for for Van's sneakers for my DGD. They cost $59.99 less $45 and 20% (I think) sale. My DD had sent me the wrong color link to place the order! I knew they would not get the full refund if I gave them my receipt so they tried to do an in-store exchange. Nope even though the exact same item and color she wanted was in stock, they would not allow the exchange; said the color she had was now a "clearance item". The box had a Kohl's price sticker on it showing price of $59.99 so asked for store credit in that amount. Again no, because item they were returning was now on clearance. She ended up getting ~$23.00 in store credit; a few dollars more than she would have received had I given the receipt.
Lesson learned. Should have used the Kohls Cash on something for myself that I didn't need but would not have returned

Pretty much the same issue here, Van's in the wrong size because it doesn't help that sizing on those is rarely clear when buying online. I checked all stores around here and no one has the size we need. It's not even available online now. I sent my husband in with the packing slip, hoping he'd at least full merchandise credit. Nope, only partial merchandise credit. Had I known I would have gone in and requested cash back. Cash would have been much more helpful right now. I'm pretty done with Kohl's now, which is sad because I tend to do a fairly large black friday order each year.

Once the item has a clearance sticker that is the price. The original price no longer matters.

Yeah, I've learned to use my Kohls Cash on something I know I want. I buy a lot of K Cups with it.

I bought several items for Christmas and earned $60 in Kohl's cash. I returned one of the items, no exchange, and received the return price of $28 -$15 Kohl's cash I had already spent. Then I returned another item (I bought the correct size online because our store has limited big/tall items) which returned for $35-$15 Kohl's cash. So at this point my purchases which I bought all at once totaled $63 but they took away $30 in Kohl's cash. It was $15 for every $50 spent deal. I didn't say anything then. BUT, then my daughter decided she didn't want the throw blanket I bought her. It was on sale for $8.99. The sales lady was like "You are not getting any refund because of your Kohl's cash" At that point I said forget it and kept the blanket. I'd rather donate it.

UPDATE-I called customer service to voice my complaint. The lady was very nice and said that what I am explaining didn't sound right. She thinks what happened was my order was shipped separately so there was a glitch with the bar codes possibly. She said to try to return it again and see what happens. So I did and was able to get $8.99 minus the coupon I used back so I am satisfied. If it doesn't make sense, call, they were very helpful.

Last edited:

I use it for kitchen towels or wash cloths.:thumbsup2 I never have to return them and just put them away for later. Eventually they all get used.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter