Kohls Cash question! If someone returns a gift that earned Kohls cash

They have changed the even exchange policy lately. It must be a similar item (ie, a man's shirt for a man's shirt) for the same original price. It might need to be the same brand as well. Also, we can't exchange a clearance item for a non-clearance item.

They do pro-rate the Kohl's cash across all eligible items. The most expensive item gets the most, and so on down to the lowest priced item getting the least. But when you return items from the original purchase, and the return brings you below the $50, they take the redeemed cash out of the return. I'm not sure how they work out how much they take out of the return.

I have found in past experience that after returning at item that earned Kohls Cash, my KC is adjusted to what I would have earned had I never bought that thing that was returned.

So if the offer states earn $10 for every $50 you spend, and I spend $125, I'd earn $20. If I return a $13 item, that means I still spent > $100 so my Kohls cash stays intact. If I return a $30 item, well now my total amount spent is < $100 so I lose $10 of KC. That used to bother me, as if they were taking something away that's rightfully mine, but I got to thinking, if I never bought that returned item, I never would have earned that last bit of Kohls cash. It's all a gimmick to make you spend more and return less.

I have found in past experience that after returning at item that earned Kohls Cash, my KC is adjusted to what I would have earned had I never bought that thing that was returned.

So if the offer states earn $10 for every $50 you spend, and I spend $125, I'd earn $20. If I return a $13 item, that means I still spent > $100 so my Kohls cash stays intact. If I return a $30 item, well now my total amount spent is < $100 so I lose $10 of KC. That used to bother me, as if they were taking something away that's rightfully mine, but I got to thinking, if I never bought that returned item, I never would have earned that last bit of Kohls cash. It's all a gimmick to make you spend more and return less.
I haven't looked at my Khol's receipts in a while but I like how JCP lists on it very clearly (or at least it did in recent enough past) the return value of the item. No surprises on what you're going to get back. If that means it's not worth your hassle to take back an item that you'll only get $4.51 back for at least you know in advance.

*Admittedly I haven't kept up with how gift receipts work on that aspect-been too long since I thought to return something with a gift receipt to JCP.

There have been some changes to the return with gift receipt policy, now that the holiday return period is over.

If the gift giver earned Kohl's Cash and redeemed it, and the return brings the original purchase under $50, the return is now reduced as it is with the original receipt. It seems that a few people would get gift receipts for every purchase and use them to return the items when they redeemed KC so they would get the full value of the item. I guess they figured a store credit was better than nothing.

Also, we are not allowed to accept returns if someone e-mailed you the receipt. There are too many people out there using that method to fraudulently get money back. (Someone finds a receipt in the garbarge, shares it with others, they shop lift the item, get money back). You must have a gift receipt, a paper receipt, or the credit card that was used to purchase the item or we have to treat it as a non-receipted return.

And as an FYI, all electronics only have 30 days to be returned or even exchanged. You must have the receipt or we have to be able to look it up with a credit card. "Electronics" may include the accessories like cases or cables or mounts that you use with electronics. The only exception to the 30 day rule is the holidays - if you purchase something electronic between Thanksgiving and Christmas, you have until January 31st to return the item. If in doubt, check your receipt - it will mark the electronic items. And I know it sucks, but if you bring it back 31 days later, I cannot take it back.

Thought I'd bring this back to tell you all about a change to Kohl's return policy: as of Sunday, Sept. 1, 2019, you will have 180 days (approx. 6 months) to return items. (except for electronics, as always, you have 30 days to return them during non-holiday times.) In the past, if you had the receipt we would scan it and if it scanned, we could return the item. If you didn't have the receipt and used a credit card, we could look it up. We could look up purchases from a year back.

I don't know how thing are going to shake out, but that is the new policy. Since many older returns had to be marked down, they were losing too much money on these old returns. I do know that 180 days is the industry standard.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter