Know Before You Go Updated - May 17 - Testing rule changes

If you are flying to an international destination and the experience with flights this summer is a nightmare, you will likely want to be sure to fly a few days earlier before your cruise.
How expensive is the DCL onsite testing?
Not always an option for everyone though. I'm taking my Cruise clothes in my hand luggage. Then the only thing I won't have to buy if my suitcase is delayed is some of my larger toiletries which I'll replace or go without. As for getting delayed in general, just have to home for the best.

Last edited:
I have a cruise scheduled in August and I have a question regarding the timing of the testing. I have read through this thread and on the Disney site and it mentions the test needs to be done 2 days before sailing. Our cruise begins on a Monday. Can I test at 12:15am on Saturday? We arrive to Florida on Friday and will be out at the parks on Friday and because we are coming from the west coast, 12:15am will really feel like 9:15pm for us so I would like to schedule the test at that time when we will be returning to our hotel. I will call safe passage to confirm but am wondering if anyone has done a test that early in the day.

I have read through this thread and on the Disney site and it mentions the test needs to be done 2 days before sailing. Our cruise begins on a Monday. Can I test at 12:15am on Saturday?
It's actually "no more than 2 days" prior, and as long as you can upload results before midnight Eastern Time just before embarkation morning you are fine. You can test anytime Saturday or Sunday for a Monday departure.

Update: Inspire will not sell you a PCR test for vaccinated passengers. There's no backdoor way to test three days in advance, despite what Disney's website says.

For those planing to order home antigen tests from Inspire Diagnostics, the company Disney uses to manage this process, I noticed a new message on their website this morning -

Effective July 3, 2022, Inspire's Early Embarkation COVID-19 (Antigen) Home Test order deadline is changing to five (5) calendar days before sail date from three (3) calendar days before sail date due to potential transit delays.

For those planing to order home antigen tests from Inspire Diagnostics, the company Disney uses to manage this process, I noticed a new message on their website this morning -

Effective July 3, 2022, Inspire's Early Embarkation COVID-19 (Antigen) Home Test order deadline is changing to five (5) calendar days before sail date from three (3) calendar days before sail date due to potential transit delays.
Thanks for posting this!

Does anyone know how late you can make an appointment for testing through Inspire? My son will be in camp all day the day we will test and I can’t get him until like 8:30. Curious if I can test him at 9pm EST. Thanks!

Has anyone done any early testing using OnPoint - like super early in the morning on the first day of possible testing. I am curious if the date/time shows up correctly or if that creates issues if done too early in the morning. Any insight is appreciated. I asked on another thread as well but figured I would post here as well.

Has anyone done any early testing using OnPoint - like super early in the morning on the first day of possible testing. I am curious if the date/time shows up correctly or if that creates issues if done too early in the morning. Any insight is appreciated. I asked on another thread as well but figured I would post here

When I used OnPoint in June, my appt was for 1100am ET. My results report shows the times in central time because that’s the base location of the testing company, and also shows the collection time for California, which is where I was when the test was done. I’d think as long as your local collection time is within the required 2-day window, you should be OK.

D0701823-1B32-4048-A09C-540F190537A6.jpeg

When I used OnPoint in June, my appt was for 1100am ET. My results report shows the times in central time because that’s the base location of the testing company, and also shows the collection time for California, which is where I was when the test was done. I’d think as long as your local collection time is within the required 2-day window, you should be OK.

View attachment 681878
Very helpful and many thanks.

For OnPoint virtual testing, can my family use the free tests sent by the government? I have the Clinitest by Siemens

For OnPoint virtual testing, can my family use the free tests sent by the government? I have the Clinitest by Siemens

OnPoint had told me they will accept any home test as long as it is authorized for emergency use by the FDA. So if that wording is on your test boxes then you should be OK. I used the free government tests but they were a different company than yours.

One more question for OnPoint. It says to bring your government issued ID to the appointment. What do I need for my 9 and 7 year olds? Birth certificates?

For those who have used Onpoint have you had any issues scheduling appointments and how far out did you go online to schedule the appointment?

For those who have used Onpoint have you had any issues scheduling appointments and how far out did you go online to schedule the appointment?
The only challenge I’ve seen was Sunday of Memorial Day weekend, when they were fully booked up from mid-morning until 9pm central time. And that happened day of, as there was availability the day before. Otherwise, there seems to be availability most any other time I’ve gone to the site.

Re how far out - I’ve been able to schedule up to a couple weeks out. In mid-May I tried for early June & had to wait a week for June appointments to be opened up on the site. I haven’t looked any further out than 2-3 weeks ahead of when I needed it, mainly because I was waiting to see if my flights were changed again.

I hadn’t thought about “exact times” for test and needing to be 2 days prior. Is a 6am central time test okay for a cruise on the 21st? I was assuming as long as it was on 19th or 20th we were good. Can you imagine test being rejected because you boarded at noon so your test are outside of 48 hours?!?

Been reading this thread and thanks for all the great information. I have a quick question if you don't mind. We are flying in internationally and finding it difficult to get answers on the best place to test, you need to have an American address or cell number for a lot of places (that is if they even let yo on to the website). Does anyone have any strong opinion at just getting tested at the port? It may be slightly more expensive, but for peace of mind knowing we can get it there and then just walk into the ship it will be worth it. We are all fully vaccinated travellers.

TYIA for any answers or opinions!
With regards to anyone who has tested at the port:
What time should you get to the port to get the results and still make your PAT? We will be taking DCL transportation from the airport.

TIA as well!

I hadn’t thought about “exact times” for test and needing to be 2 days prior. Is a 6am central time test okay for a cruise on the 21st? I was assuming as long as it was on 19th or 20th we were good. Can you imagine test being rejected because you boarded at noon so your test are outside of 48 hours?!?
Time Is irreverent (well unless you are testing in the early early AM using tele health that’s in a different time zone)

As long as the results arrive dated the date needed you are good. Yes that means it can technically be like 70ish hrs if you test in Europe & fly west..

With regards to anyone who has tested at the port:
What time should you get to the port to get the results and still make your PAT? We will be taking DCL transportation from the airport.

TIA as well!
Your port arrival time is the time that you should arrive at the port, regardless of which testing option you decide on. If you're getting tested at the port, then you'll be tested *after* your port arrival time.

If you're taking DCL transport from MCO, then your port arrival time might not matter, though. If they let you on the bus, then you're good to go.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter