King bed request. Value resort.

livetocruise said:
Thanks for the replies. Our travel agent strongly advised that we book a preferred room, and I don't know any better to know if that's what we want or not. Will it make a difference if we are booked in a preferred or standard room?

NO! NO! NO! I am EXTREMELY familiar with POP and the King rooms there. There are fewer king rooms in the preferred section.
Out of 2880 rooms only 150 are king. More of the kings are in the std category than preferred ESP the non HC king rooms. So if you don't want a HC king room (and many do not like these bathrooms) I would stick with a std room not preferred. I am only trying to help! I have spent 118 nights at POP. I have spent 38 nights this year alone all in King rooms there. I really do know what I am talking about. The good side is POP occupancy rate is generally running on the lower side (or it always is when I have been there!) So I would say your chances are probably pretty good!
Best of Luck to you!!

NO! NO! NO! I am EXTREMELY familiar with POP and the King rooms there. There are fewer king rooms in the preferred section.
Out of 2880 rooms only 150 are king. More of the kings are in the std category than preferred ESP the non HC king rooms. So if you don't want a HC king room (and many do not like these bathrooms) I would stick with a std room not preferred. I am only trying to help! I have spent 118 nights at POP. I have spent 38 nights this year alone all in King rooms there. I really do know what I am talking about. The good side is POP occupancy rate is generally running on the lower side (or it always is when I have been there!) So I would say your chances are probably pretty good!
Best of Luck to you!!

Thank you! This is exactly what I was thinking and just wanted someone to confirm. I have made the switch to a standard in hopes that it would increase my chances. Thank you so much for your insight:thumbsup2

I hope you do end up getting your King Bed. We had a disneymoon at Pop! and we couldn't get a king. :( So we vowed never to stay value again. We finally got a king on our 3rd night (out of 8) but it was facing the main pool, so it was too noisy, and was a disabled room and we didn't quite like that. Good luck!

Okay, so this experience demonstrates that if one absolutely, positively has to have a specific condition that's requestable at some resorts (value/deluxe) but bookable at others (moderate), one needs to select a resort based on one's requirements.

Just wondering....what is wrong with the handicapped bathrooms that everyone seems to dislike so much?

I just requested a king bed for our trip in September, and now I am second-guessing my choice.

Are there any regular king rooms at POP? If not, are the beds in the handicapped accessible rooms low to the ground?

Thanks!:)

I think the biggest gripe would be there is no tub. The bathroom has a open concept. Ex. If someone gets a shower then you go use the restroom...the floor would probably be all wet.

DisneyDeb83 said:
Just wondering....what is wrong with the handicapped bathrooms that everyone seems to dislike so much?

I just requested a king bed for our trip in September, and now I am second-guessing my choice.

Are there any regular king rooms at POP? If not, are the beds in the handicapped accessible rooms low to the ground?

Yes, there are Some regular King rooms at POP. There are 29 std and 9 prfrd that are NOT HC accessible in any way. Then there are a few more that are still categorized as HC accessible but they only have features for the 'hearing impaired', so the bathrooms in those are still 'normal'. And there are some HC accessible king rooms that will still come with a tub but will have the extra grab bars. I believe that all adapted bathrooms will have the higher toilet (I know the roll in shower ones do...I would strongly suspect the ones with the tub with the grab bars do as well). The bed will be noticably lower to the ground.
And yes! Many do not like the roll in shower because the bathroom floor has the potential to get wet. But please also only take the roll in shower rooms as a last resort...they aren't as plentiful as one thinks. And when it is a necessity for someone else it is really disappointing when they aren't available because they are occcupied by others not really needing them. :)

Stayed at pop in 2009 twice and again in 2010. Requested a king bed all times and got one all times. I made my requests via fax 3 days before and made it very cheesy/magical ::yes::

NicolaFred said:
Stayed at pop in 2009 twice and again in 2010. Requested a king bed all times and got one all times. I made my requests via fax 3 days before and made it very cheesy/magical ::yes::

POP no longer accepts faxed requests....
Hasn't for awhile now. Requests must be made over the phone or at time of online checkin.... :)

true HA rooms have a shower only, no tub.. with no lip ( leads to splash issues in the rest of the room) a toilet seat that is too high and a sink that is too low. Great if you are in a WC, not so much for the rest of the population.

Doesn't Art of Animation have King rooms? like plain old regular ones?

true HA rooms have a shower only, no tub.. with no lip ( leads to splash issues in the rest of the room) a toilet seat that is too high and a sink that is too low. Great if you are in a WC, not so much for the rest of the population.

Doesn't Art of Animation have King rooms? like plain old regular ones?

Bolding is mine...
Well what you consider to be a true HC room and what is defined as a HC room by ADA law apparently are not the same. And ADA wins out in my book. The others are by ADA law and according to the resort HC accessible rooms. Agree to disagree... :goodvibes

and for the record... the sink is the exact same height!! it is just configured a slight bit different so that a w/c will fit underneath...but the height is the same.
and the toilets are NO taller than those in a HC stall... I guess you have never used the HC stall in a public restroom?? ;) Now I could understand if you had small children, but you are talking about 2 adults only because it is a king room (unless one adult is sharing with a small child which doesn't seem to be the case here).
I would think the biggest complaint would be the lower bed. To me that is the most noticeable factor of ANYTHING!! It's pretty low comparatively. :)

there are 2 types.. Wheelchair accessible, and handicapped. WA have roll in showers, higher toilet seats and the rest. and FTR I use HA rest rooms pretty much exclusively even when I am not in my chair. I need the grab bars.

and yes many Restrooms do have higher seats( and I really appreciate when they do) even if they also have the grab bars( in general, not Disney specific) and one sink that is lower.. sometimes in the stall itself, others outside in the main area.

Luckily I am not confined full time( yet) so can get away with a regular room so cannot comment on bed height. except king beds always seem to be like a foot higher? maybe it's just the hotels we have stayed at that has them who knows.

Just wanted to add that other people's successes with getting their request are not telling of what will happen with you. Even if 99% of the people get their requests, it solely depends on occupancy when YOU are there. If it just so happens that all king rooms are occupied, then you may be SOL. However, I would think a king room would be easier to get at a value because most of the families traveling there would not want a king.

Mrsjvb said:
there are 2 types.. Wheelchair accessible, and handicapped. WA have roll in showers, higher toilet seats and the rest. and FTR I use HA rest rooms pretty much exclusively even when I am not in my chair. I need the grab bars.

and yes many Restrooms do have higher seats( and I really appreciate when they do) even if they also have the grab bars( in general, not Disney specific) and one sink that is lower.. sometimes in the stall itself, others outside in the main area.

Luckily I am not confined full time( yet) so can get away with a regular room so cannot comment on bed height. except king beds always seem to be like a foot higher? maybe it's just the hotels we have stayed at that has them who knows.

Well I can tell you from first hand experience that the king beds in the HC accessible roll in shower rooms at the value resorts (except AoA, have not personally stayed there yet but I would venture to say it is probably pretty safe to assume the set up is identical to the other values) are NOTICABLY lower than the other beds within the hotel! And you can really tell if your room is connected to another. Sit on your bed, then go next door and sit on that one! I didn't have a tape measure on me, but there is a difference of several inches. And all the HC King beds are lower. I have stayed in Many different HC king rooms not just 2 or 3. :)

nkereina said:
Just wanted to add that other people's successes with getting their request are not telling of what will happen with you. Even if 99% of the people get their requests, it solely depends on occupancy when YOU are there. If it just so happens that all king rooms are occupied, then you may be SOL. However, I would think a king room would be easier to get at a value because most of the families traveling there would not want a king.

Agree completely with your statement....just never know what will be available when you are there.
But disagree with the comment about them being easier to get as I think if you saw the statistics on the # of couples and solo travelers who stay at values, you might be surprised!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter