Kindle ???

I'd have to say no. I have had my Kindle for two years now; bought it when they were $359. Although I enjoy having the ability to download books from anywhere I may be, its very rare.

I have an Ipad (wifi only) also that I use the Kindle app and I just download the books to my Ipad when I'm home in the evenings. I'll never give up my kindle but I prefer reading on the Ipad since the screen is backlit.

I guess it would depend on how you use it, for instance if you're getting daily newspaper downloads or only reading books.

Just my thoughts.
Dawn

I would say yes... because it is a one time fee. it is international and you don't have to pay for a service fee for accessing the network through 3G. In an iPAD if you have 3G then you have to pay a service fee for accessing the network via 3G.

I have also only used it a few times, but like having it when I don't have access to free wireless.

Well - it depends on how you are going to use it.

If you travel often and foresee buying most of your books away from a WiFi connection to the device itself, then definitely yes. If you like the feeling you get from knowing you can buy a new book whenever the urge hits - then yes. If you don't have a reliable WiFi connection where you most often will be using the device, then yes. If you are interested in using then device as some kind of alternate internet device to check email etc when you are away from home (extremely clunky) then probably yes.

All that being said, I can't find it now but there was an article out the other day stating that some (really high number like 70 to 80%) of eBooks are being bought by computer and not the devices. It's how I buy most of mine, I buy and download to my computer, load them into Calibre, and then I send them to my Kindle to be put in collections. I carry nearly all of my books on my Kindle itself, I don't archive and re-download.

So I personally would get by just fine without 3G, but I like having 3G because it is fun.

If you travel a lot or don't have access to wifi easily I'd say yes. DH is currently traveling for work and since we don't have smart phones, the only way he has to check his email is his kindle, (he's an hour away from any place that has public wifi or internet and it's not available from his hotel, plus he's not allowed to use the work computers for personal use). I use my 3G all the time at the beach, in the car when DH is driving, waiting for DD at the park etc...

It's worth it for us because I use the Kindle mostly while traveling - particularly while sitting in a lounge chair on the dock at the lake house (no internet up there).

Only you can decide if it's worth it to you!

I travel all the time and live abroad and couldn't justify the extra $50 for the 3G. You can get lots of books online and then connect your kindle to the computer and put them on manually or just find a starbucks. I usually just load up all of my books and then don't even bother with wifi. I acutally don't know when I last turned it on because it eats up the battery and I already use it enough. I put 800+ books on it when I first got it and have only plugged it in 4 or 5 times to add new stuff. But I guess it's up to you and how much you want to use the games that work best with wifi and/or feel the need to add new stuff.

I'd have to say no. I have had my Kindle for two years now; bought it when they were $359. Although I enjoy having the ability to download books from anywhere I may be, its very rare.
I could've said this very same thing. I have the Kindle 2, which is no longer made, and I much prefer to order from the computer: Full-color screen, faster navigation, easier-to-read reviews.

I can only imagine one situation in which this would be really worthwhile: If you were on vacation with no access to a computer, and a bestseller you'd been anticipating became available. But how often's that going to happen?

Also worthy of note: The battery life on the non-3G model is significantly longer. You can check this on the comparison specs on Amazon.com. Personally, I'd care more about that than the odd chance I'd want to order from a remote location.

By the way, I'm planning to buy my girls each a Kindle soon, and I'm not popping for the 3G.
I have an Ipad (wifi only) also that I use the Kindle app and I just download the books to my Ipad when I'm home in the evenings. I'll never give up my kindle but I prefer reading on the Ipad since the screen is backlit.
I have an iPad too, but I disagree. When I received the iPad for Christmas, I anticipated moving all my Kindle books over to it, adding the Nook ap, and using the iPad as my "one stop reading spot". But I don't like that the iPad weighs SO MUCH MORE than the Kindle.

Don't get me wrong: I love the iPad for other functions, but I don't like to read on it. Perhaps because I usually lie on my back and hold my book, so the weight bothers me. If I were a tummy-reader who likes to prop books, I might have a different opinion.

I have never hooked my kindle up to my computer. I want the flexibilty to be in a hotel room and get a new book. I often order online but then download it through the 3G.

If you don't travel often, read mostly at home, then it is a harder decision and the wifi would be a good choice.

All depends on your lifestyle :)

I have the Kindle 2, and love the 3G for buying books when I'm out and about. I just bought my husband a Kindle for his birthday, and I did not pay for him to have 3g on his. When I asked him if it was important to him, he reminded me that his phone can be a hotspot. He always has his phone with him, so he already has 24/7 wi-fi access.

As far as kids books - how old is the kid? Are you reading out loud, or are they reading independently?

Enjoy your new Kindle!

I have the Kindle 2, and love the 3G for buying books when I'm out and about. I just bought my husband a Kindle for his birthday, and I did not pay for him to have 3g on his. When I asked him if it was important to him, he reminded me that his phone can be a hotspot. He always has his phone with him, so he already has 24/7 wi-fi access.

As far as kids books - how old is the kid? Are you reading out loud, or are they reading independently?

Enjoy your new Kindle!

Really? I had no idea. So if his phone is close by, he can download on the kindle by using the phone's connection?

Yep! We both have MyTouch 4Gs from T-mobile, and they have an app that allows us to create a wi-fi hot spot. Might not be great with other carriers, but with T-mobile we have unlimited data, so we love it!

I would. I have it now and use it. I use it frequently to download books during my lunch hour at work where I do not have wifi access.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter