Killing 2 Birds with one Stone Part 2 (DLR/LA TR 4/6-4/13/22)

April 8, 2022
Continued..

When I left off We were on the backlot in the residential area. Some of the shows that had houses back there were Charmed, The Gilmore Girls. Some of the houses had areas inside that were filmable not just facades. They were all stripped bare in between filming, no doorknobs, paint, light fixtures, wallpaper, etc. That way they could add what was needed/imagined by the set designers. One of them had the front hall and the staircase of the Geller house from the Prom Flashback scene where Ross is on the stairs playing his keyboard and then up at the top of the steps you can see the window.

They had the Fountain that is used in the opening credits of Friends. It was cool to see it. There was a small stretch of grass and dirt off to the side that they have used in a few episodes (as well as other shows) such as when they needed a running trail or bike path.

They had an orange couch that was similar to the one in the coffee house but it was I think fiberglass and then the lamp was there too. They had a little Photo Op there, they took pics with our cameras/phone.

Shortly after this we were taken to the building where the self guided part of the tour was. We were dropped off in front of the building and went up some steps and there was another guide there. She let us in the building and gave the little speech about this part. There was a cafe based on "Central Perk" where we could get something to eat/drink, then to the left there were a bunch of displays and to the right was a big gift shop. Then when we were done we would leave by the door at the end of the gift shop and another golf cart would take us to the last stop.

We headed to the displays on the right first. There were quite a few things. Some costumes were on display from a few movies, Space Jam (both the original and the new one), Crazy Rich Asians, My Fair Lady, etc.

Next was the replica of Central Perk with the orange couch and coffee table. I was looking forward to this part, I am a huge Friends fan. I am actually watching it now on Nick at Nite, LOL. It was a good show and has stood the test of time, I feel, the stories and jokes are still really relatable. I'm thinking this was the actual couch, it was pretty faded and worn. I took a bunch of pics here and then They had a guy there to take pics of us on the couch then at the same time the lady helping him took some with my phone, too. The guy gave us a little card that they said to turn in at the counter later to see if we wanted to buy any.

The next part was the Big Bang Theory living room with the brown leather couch and they also had the hallway with the stairs and broken elevator and the 2 doors and a small section that represented the cafeteria at the University. There were 2 guys taking pics here, the one by the elevator was a little weird with the poses he wanted us to do. No one would take pics with our personal cameras at this part. I didn't buy any pics so there aren't any of us in this grouping.

Couple of costumes and displays from Friends, part of this was the seating area for the cafe:

I will end here, I'm pretty sure I'm at the picture limit.

April 8, 2022
Continued

Next I went to the counter with the pics and scanned the card to see the pics, none of them were actually good enough to be worth buying. They were pretty pricey too.

After this there were a few people lined up for a demonstration about sound effects, mixing, etc. It was interesting. They showed a clip of the movie Gravity (the first couple minutes) Once with just dialog, once with just sound effects, once with just music and once with it all together. It was cool to see how different each part was. He also explained a lot of the more technical stuff that I don't fully remember.

After the sound display we grabbed something to eat at "Central Perk." There was only 1 couple in front of us to order. I had a Cuban sandwich and Tim had pizza. Then we both had bottled sodas. We paid and they gave us a buzzer and we sat at a table right near the counter. It took about 10-15 minutes to get the food. it wasn't until after we had our food and the line had gotten much longer that I realized we should have gotten coffee of some sort because we were at a "Famous" Coffee House, LOL

While we ate, we were looking at our phones to see what time we needed to have an Uber pick us up to get to the concert. I left him there while I went over to the gift shop. I saw a few things to buy but I really didn't want to have to carry anything around and I wasn't sure about what they would do at the concert. So I just bought a small magnet in the shape of the little gold picture frame that is around the peep hole on Monica's door.

We went out and got on the next golf cart and it was a different guy driving. I thought this was just the end of the tour but there was a whole other display area there, this was mostly DC Comic type things. A few other shows/movies, along with Emmy and Oscar Displays too.

They had the newest Batmobile there:

A few other displays:

The Roommate agreement from BBT:

The Awards display and then a few badges and other props from ER:

It took a little while for an Uber to get to us but it finally came. A selfie as we waited:

This Uber was a guy, he drove a Toyota Corolla. It took about 30 or so minutes to get to the part of LA called Koreatown which is where the Concert was. The place was The Wiltern Theater. We got there right before 6pm. The time listed on the tickets was 7pm. It turns out that that's when the doors opened, the concert started at 8. So we were lined up all along the side of the building for about an hour. At one point there was a person from the venue that came down the line to check everyone's tickets, mainly to make sure they were for the right day since the concert date had been changed twice, the original date on the tickets was September 26, 2020.(the original dates were Friday the 25, Saturday the 26, and Sunday the 27th, and these shows were Thursday, Friday and Saturday. This was the Friday show. There was still another Show scheduled for Saturday). After she checked our tickets she told us we should save them since these were some of the last actual paper tickets that Ticketmaster had printed, they have all been e-tickets since shortly after I bought these.

I will end here and do the concert in a separate post. I'll reach the picture limit if I combine them.

Last edited:
April 8, 2022
a-ha concert, end of night

Finally, the line started moving. It didn't take too long to get through security and the ticket scanner line after that. It was a beautiful venue. There was a bar to the left hand side and then there was a big merch table to the back right. When I went to see them in Paris I never got the chance to even see anything at the merch stand because it was so crowded. Here it was still early so I headed over there. I wanted to get a tour book, after the Paris show I tried to go on their site to buy it online but it was sold out. They must have printed more for this rescheduled part. it was $75 but It was worth it to me. It's basically just pictures but they are great ones from their early days. They are by a Photographer named Stian Anderson and he is a really great photographer. He was there with them for a good part of the tour, this show included, taking pics on stage. He and the Band's reps have been posting them on Facebook, some really gorgeous shots.

We had gotten a couple drinks at the bar (sodas) and then we headed up the crazy amount of stairs to get to the mezzanine level. We took a bio break and then after this I got a couple pics of the theater.

Then into the theater to our seats. OMG we were in the 3rd to last row... and it was kind of steep. As we sat there, I prayed that people stayed seated. I thought I might topple over if I had to stand, LOL

We actually had really good seats although far away, We were right in the center.

The concert ended up starting late because people weren't in their seats yet. Before the show started I was texting with a woman I had met on the various Facebook Fan Pages. We made arrangements to meet at intermission. She was at the Paris show too but we weren't able to meet then.

The concert was incredible, they are all SO talented, even the backing band (the Bass player is Even (pronounced like Evan), the backup Keyboard/programming guy is Erich and the Drummer is Karl, he is a music professor at a University in Oslo). The main songwriter and guitarist is Pal (pronounced like Paul) Waaktaar-Savoy, the Keyboard (and guitar) player is Magne (Mags) Furuholmen, and the lead singer is Morten Harket, oh wow, he sounded SO amazing. I can't say I was thrilled with the man bun/pony tail, LOL. He had grown his hair long and had taken to wearing it up. A few times in the days around the concert he was wearing it down, which looked better, IMO. He actually cut it short in the last week or so, it looks so much better.

I did get a few pics and videos. My Cell takes decent pics but they do get a little fuzzy with having to zoom in. The lighting tends to make picture taking difficult. It can be pretty dark, they use a lot of blue and red and they had these lights that were right directly behind them on the floor but aimed right at waist level that didn't make it easy.

At intermission I did meet up with my friend, her name is Kathryn. She is also a big Disney fan, goes to the parks quite a bit, she lives in Tampa. Has a 13 year old autistic son who she had with her (plus an older son who was flying in that night) She was a nice lady, we are also both in the medical field, but she is an MD, she is an OB/GYN. We chatted about the concert, about my day at DLR the day before. She had planned to go there on Saturday but she couldn't get a park reservation so they were going to Universal instead.

Here are a few pics/videos that I took.

After the concert, it ended about 10:30 or so, we sat for a few minutes to let some of the balcony clear out. Then we went outside and went off to the side down the road a little to get away from the main crowd out front to wait for our Uber so they could find us. It took about 30 minutes to get to us. And then it took over an hour to get back to the hotel. He had to look for another way to get on the highway because one of the roads was blocked off then we sat in traffic some for an accident.

We were starving when we got back to the room, we had some food but it was more snack type things like candy and chips. I went down to the little store in the lobby and got us each a ham and cheese hot pocket and a little microwave cup of raviolis. Not gourmet by any means but it hit the spot and got us through the night without hunger pains, LOL.

We had to get to sleep as early as we could because the Bus was coming to get us at 7am for our full day LA tour tomorrow. I will end here and the next posts will be our LA tour.

Last edited:
Saturday April 9, 2022
All day tour with "A Day in LA Tours"

We woke up at an ungodly hour to get ready for our tour today. We went down and had a quick breakfast and then we were outside by 7am to wait for the bus. I took a pic of the outside of our Hotel

The bus came at about 7:15 or so. There were already 3 people on board, a couple from Toronto and a man who was Solo. We made a few more stops and picked up a family from England, a solo lady from Australia, a family from Buffalo (Both Buffalo and Toronto are within a couple hours of us so that was cool) another solo guy and another family, I don't know where they were from. I think there were about 18 or so total on the bus. Our driver was Janette and she was really good, an informative, fun, nice lady.

When I was planning the trip I had seen a few recommendations on here for Anaheim tour company, I really was interested in using them because they picked you up at the hotel by Disneyland and you didn't have to get to the office or the first tour stop or anything. They had some good itineraries too. But sadly when I went to book it, they didn't have any availability for any of the days we would be there. So I went looking for others. Most of which you had to get to LA for. Then I found this one called "A Day in LA tours" on Trip Advisor and they had tours that start at the hotels. they had this big list of ones they do pick ups from and ours was on the list.

After she picked us up there were a few more stops and then we were on our way. As I said our guide was really good, she told us a lot of info while we were on the way to the first stop. She even made a few side stops here and there all day to show us some different or unique things, some famous houses, where either famous people lived/grew up or where things had been filmed. Also where there were decent, clean bathrooms were too.

Our first stop was Griffith Park Observatory, it was a photo op for pics of the Hollywood sign and the beautiful scenery. The Observatory itself wasn't actually open yet. This was about 9am and it didn't open till 10:30 or 11.

It was really pretty scenery up there so I took lots of pics.

We drove some through the city and she told us about things we were passing, I don't remember most of it, I really should have taken notes. She did make a stop at the Staples Center (apparently now called the Crypto.com arena, strange to call it that but oh, well) and I took a pic of Wayne Gretzky statue in the front. I thought I took others but this one is all that I have.

Then she made a stop by a little market that was mostly closed but they had nice bathrooms. There was a funicular tram thing right across from that. I got a couple pics of it and of our Bus

I think I am getting to the picture limit so I will end here and start the next post with Hollywood Blvd, the Walk of Fame and the Chinese Theater

I am pretty sure it was about 6 or so when we were getting ready and leaving the room. I set the Mobile order for what I am fairly sure was a 7 to 7:30 pick up time.
That's pretty smart! Usually we forget to order and end up waiting, or getting hangry! :laughing:
the Pinocchio line was reasonable so we went there.
I'm not sure I've been on that ride.....
What I thought was just a chocolate covered marshmallow wand but it turned out to have caramel in it too (yum)
That is the norm for chocolate marshmallow treats in DL. It appears that at WDW Karamel Kuche has the monopoly on chocolate and caramel covered marshmallows. I was disappointed when I bought a marshmallow wand in MK and it was just chocolate.
I didn't bring my purse because I read the info for the concert and I thought it was bigger than they allow, if it was bigger it had to be clear.
I really hate that new rule. I had to scramble to purchase a clear purse for both Alton Brown and Randy Rainbow last year.
We were brought into a small theater where they had a little preshow/brief history of Warner Brothers. Ellen was narrating/featured. Then they led us out a row at a time, each row was assigned to a driver of a golf cart that held or 8 passengers.
This sounds very different than the tours were pre-pandemic.
Shortly after this we were taken to the building where the self guided part of the tour was. We were dropped off in front of the building and went up some steps and there was another guide there. She let us in the building and gave the little speech about this part. There was a cafe based on "Central Perk" where we could get something to eat/drink, then to the left there were a bunch of displays and to the right was a big gift shop. Then when we were done we would leave by the door at the end of the gift shop and another golf cart would take us to the last stop.
This part is very different from the tour I went on. We were dumped in a room that was all Harry Potter.
Next was the replica of Central Perk with the orange couch and coffee table. I was looking forward to this part, I am a huge Friends fan.
This would be lost on me. I never even watched the show.
The next part was the Big Bang Theory living room with the brown leather couch and they also had the hallway with the stairs and broken elevator and the 2 doors and a small section that represented the cafeteria at the University.
Now this I would be all over. I'm a huge fan of Big Bang Theory!
The concert ended up starting late because people weren't in their seats yet.
Stupid LA people.
I did get a few pics and videos.
I'm surprised that they let you do this. Most theaters in LA have people with eagle eyes, just looking for people to whip out their phones and then they're in their faces with "No photos or video".
We had to get to sleep as early as we could because the Bus was coming to get us at 7am for our full day LA tour tomorrow. I will end here and the next posts will be our LA tour.
Yikes, that's burning the candle at both ends!
Our first stop was Griffith Park Observatory, it was a photo op for pics of the Hollywood sign and the beautiful scenery.
I didn't know you could see the Hollywood sign from Griffth Park Observatory!
There was a funicular tram thing right across from that. I got a couple pics of it and of our Bus
Ah yes, Angels Flight.....So much back and forth about it working and then not working.....
I think I am getting to the picture limit so I will end here and start the next post with Hollywood Blvd, the Walk of Fame and the Chinese Theater
Yay! I'm finally all caught up!

That's pretty smart! Usually we forget to order and end up waiting, or getting hangry! :laughing:
I was pretty good about remembering
That is the norm for chocolate marshmallow treats in DL. It appears that at WDW Karamel Kuche has the monopoly on chocolate and caramel covered marshmallows. I was disappointed when I bought a marshmallow wand in MK and it was just chocolate.
I Love Caramel so I was really happy it was in there. I bought 3 of these over the course of the trip, LOL. I Love Karamel Kuche, I could go for some of their treats just about now.
I really hate that new rule. I had to scramble to purchase a clear purse for both Alton Brown and Randy Rainbow last year.
I saw quite a few people with clear bags.
This sounds very different than the tours were pre-pandemic.

This part is very different from the tour I went on. We were dumped in a room that was all Harry Potter.
There was Harry Potter stuff at the very last stop but we didn't spend much time in there, I didn't get any pics just took a quick look. We haven't really gotten into the Harry Potter craze. I know a little more about the DC stuff so I spent more time in that area. We also thought we were running out of time to get to the Wiltern but little did we know, LOL
This would be lost on me. I never even watched the show.
I didn't watch much of it while it was on originally but I have gotten really into it over the years watching the reruns.
Now this I would be all over. I'm a huge fan of Big Bang Theory!
I Love it too
Stupid LA people.

I'm surprised that they let you do this. Most theaters in LA have people with eagle eyes, just looking for people to whip out their phones and then they're in their faces with "No photos or video".
Maybe it has some to do with the band playing. They have never seemed to have a problem with fans taking pics and videos, even asking fans to share pics on their website and Facebook page. Morten even laid down on his stomach on the stage to take a selfie with a fan a couple years ago in the middle of a concert, lol. It was actually a really cute moment.
Yikes, that's burning the candle at both ends!
LOL During my 3 day stretches of Doubles I live on 4 hours of sleep a day if I am lucky..
I didn't know you could see the Hollywood sign from Griffth Park Observatory!
It's a great view from up there
Ah yes, Angels Flight.....So much back and forth about it working and then not working.....
I have since looked it up, it's definitely a lot of back and forth
Yay! I'm finally all caught up!
Posting the next part soon.

Saturday April 9th, cont'd

When I left off we were headed to the Hollywood Blvd stop on the tour. Janette did detour some through a couple neighborhoods to show us a few houses where various shows/movies were set/filmed. She parked at the curb on Hollywood Blvd about a block and half from the Chinese Theater and let us out. We had about 45 minutes or an hour to explore the area. Mostly I walked up and down and looked at the various stars.

Continued

A few stars of some stars from Young and the Restless

A few others:

The Everly Brothers were actually very instrumental/involved with a-ha in their early days. Their first manager was friends with the Everlys for years. They gave the guys custom guitars all carved from the wood of the same tree back in 1987. They all still have them. Pal and Mags played them for a TV performance of Take on Me in 2018. It is Morten's primary guitar that he has played all these years. They covered an Everly Brothers song back in 1990 or so ("Crying in the Rain") Their only cover ever. The band had stayed close to them over the years, especially Morten and Phil. Morten played another of their songs 'Let it Be Me" as an Encore/tribute to Phil Everly at every show of his solo tour in 2014 (Phil had died in January of that year)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter