Kids on 'leashes'

We always used the dog backpack with my son. We turned it to the front so it looked like he was hugging it and the dog head was on his shoulder. We then moved the leash part to the side. He always felt like he was hugging and carrying a stuffed animal and I always felt confident that no one could snatch him and run. All it takes is a second. I got lost from my family at Disney when I was a kid because I was distracted, wondered away, and got lost. I was terrified. My son got so used to the doggie that he wanted to carry it even without the leash since it comes off the backpack ones. I wish you luck!

Yes, parents do need to teach their kids to stay with them but I'd rather err on the side of safety then try to use 'reason' or 'logic' with a 2.5 year old. Much better to have the monkey back-pack and move on with your life.

It must be nice to feel so superior that you judge others parenting decisions.

(And, I never had to use a "leash" with my kids, but I dang sure would have if one of them had been a runner.)

Well as the OP I'd like to say thanks to the majority of people for answering my question.

As for those who chose to imply my parenting skills are lacking, allow me to enlighten you. This is my third child. I helped raise my 5 siblings, I babysat and nannied for several years. I do not put up valuables, breakables, etc. I don't use child locks. I teach my children to say please and thank you. I do not buy them anything they want--ask my 12 yo what a mean mom I am ;). I teach them their place in this world. I remove them if they are overly 'energetic'. If any naysayers have valid options to provide as opposed to a leash, instead of veiled or open commentary on my parenting, by all means I'm all ears. I've have never used one w/ any child nor felt the need to do so until my DS. I am merely at my wits end and not sure what to do.

FYI this will be my 7th trip to WDW with my own children and a leash has never crossed my mind before, including last year when DS was 14 months.

Heather

Plead please please--- I know this can be a hot button issue but I'm just need advice.

I have never used any form of child harness and to be honest neve liked the idea. With my girls I rarely had to hold their hands as they would just walk next to me. HOWEVER my 2.5 year old has in the last month developed a running habit...car, park, grocery store....pretty much anywhere.

So I'm thinking I need to do some sort of leash for our trip next week. For anyone that has used them before---any tips, brand or style? Thanks

Heather

Echoing others, the "monkey pack" or "puppy pack" from Target. We used it on our daughter from the time she was about 3 until 4-5. She even had it on the one time we went to WDW when she was 3.5 yo.

We got it for her because we got separated by some people at the Michigan Renaissance fair when she just turned three. Some people walked between her and I and in the split second she couldn't see me she took off running. Mind you, this was on a record crowd attendance day (20k people). We found her 1/4 of a mile away at the entrance where she was found by a shopkeeper. I would rather have my daughter with a backpack and a furry tail (what she called it) than not have her at all.

I would not worry about what other people say.

Stacy

I used one that was kind of like a car seat harness sort of thing with the leash attached to the back. First, for my daughter . . . I actually heard a lady call her a dog because she had a leash on. I loudly exclaimed to the lady I would rather have a live dog than a dead girl who got hit by a car .. . .

Later, I had my son. That boy needed not only a leash, but a whip and a chair :eek:

That being said, with the crowds in Disney World, I am not sure I would want to try to navigate with a child on a leash. Then again, I've played the lost child in the Magic Kingdom game (with the son, big surprise there lol) and that wasn't a whole lot of fun either. I would certainly use a leash if I thought that would keep a child from getting lost on me!

Okay but remember... You asked! ;)

I have never used one and never would. It's a parent's job to teach his/her child to stay with them. Yes it means that you need to keep on him and focus on the lesson at hand but he will eventually learn the lesson. (And I have serious ADHD but that's another story!)

I am a prime example of why this doesn't work. Are some people bad parents?... obviously or we wouldn't have most reality shows. We did teach our child to stay with us. We did drill into both our daughter and our son that if they can't see mommy or daddy that they stand right where they are. That if they get scared, find a store owner or uniformed person for help.

What we couldn't drill into them was lack of fear. I couldn't drill the fear out of a 3 year old child so that when a group of 10 adults pushed between her and I and she couldn't see me she wouldn't panic. There were four adults and our son was strapped in the stroller. In the space of less than 15 seconds, she could no longer see us.

When we found her at the other end of the fair she was panicking and almost hyperventilating. I would rather have someone I don't know tell me what a poor parent I am than to lose my daughter for a second.

And a lot of it depends on where you live. I happen to live in the city that has been lucky enough to have the highest crime rate of any city in the country (whoo hoo...lucky us).
http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielf...-2012-list-of-americas-most-dangerous-cities/

So... alive kid on a leash. Sign me up.

Stacy

I have three Disney themed harness-leashes (Mickey, Pooh, and Minnie)for my grandkids, but we haven't used them yet. I anticipate that our trip next Oct. will require "Wild Child" to wear one. He will be 28 months old then and is a runner...a very fast, stealthy runner. Maybe he will slow down by then...nah, I doubt it!

No nhkristy I did NOT ask parenting advice, although you chose to give it. I asked for advice on the actual harnesses themselves as I am unfamiliar with them.

When my 60 year old DH was small his father, elementary school teacher made him a harness from the safety patrol belts (boy I wonder how many of you know what that is). He was leashed to the clothes line and had enough rope to reach to the neighbors back door. They lived 50 ft from the main train line and DH had a history of running across the tracks.

Whe our daughter was small we had a harness and would fasten it to her stroller. It slowed her down when she tried to wander off at the mall during xmas shopping.

I've seen lots of nicer examples these days.

One little boy told me once he has to keep his daddy on the leash so he doesn't get lost..... it's a different point of view.

Never had to use one with my older two. They listened so well and would stand right next to us.....the third...? She's a doozy. I don't think we'll ever get one though. Therefore i don't have any advice as to which kinds are good/bad. I just wanted to to say that I have to raise three kids of my own, i have no intention of raising anyone else's. If you feel he needs one, get it!

MomofDisneyLoversx3 said:
Well as the OP I'd like to say thanks to the majority of people for answering my question.

As for those who chose to imply my parenting skills are lacking, allow me to enlighten you. This is my third child. I helped raise my 5 siblings, I babysat and nannied for several years. I do not put up valuables, breakables, etc. I don't use child locks. I teach my children to say please and thank you. I do not buy them anything they want--ask my 12 yo what a mean mom I am ;). I teach them their place in this world. I remove them if they are overly 'energetic'. If any naysayers have valid options to provide as opposed to a leash, instead of veiled or open commentary on my parenting, by all means I'm all ears. I've have never used one w/ any child nor felt the need to do so until my DS. I am merely at my wits end and not sure what to do.

FYI this will be my 7th trip to WDW with my own children and a leash has never crossed my mind before, including last year when DS was 14 months.

Heather

I had to use one with my DS a couple of times when he was a toddler. It never even crossed my mind with my others because they didn't dash away from me like he did. Once he developed more self-control, we no longer needed it. I'd rather get dirty looks for a harness than sympathy because something bad happened to my little one.

I never used them but i don't see anything wrong with them. It doesn't mean your child doesn't listen or is uncontrollable. It's a terrible feeling to lose your child in a crowd even for a split second.

alecshawn said:
110% correct.....it is so SAD that some parents place those things on kids. Its just not right.

Makes me wonder what your doing to your child to make them so well behaved. Sad:(

Again, YOU ASKED! If you knew what your child needed, why ask the question? I don't ask strangers on a message board for parenting advice. Perhaps you shouldn't either.

Thank you, it boggles the mind, why anyone would even think of asking hundreds of strangers this question. :confused3

Either do it and be alright with it, or don't. Does anyone really need a support group.

Makes me wonder what your doing to your child to make them so well behaved. Sad:(

I think it is very presumptuous to think that parents who control their children without a lease do so, without love and fun.

It can be done.

Sammie said:
Thank you, it boggles the mind, why anyone would even think of asking hundreds of strangers this question. :confused3

Either do it and be alright with it, or don't. Does anyone really need a support group.

No op didnt ask if she should use one. She asked what kind or brand.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter