Kids Club Age Change

If you have time, can you ask about the supervised activities for the 3 an 4 year olds? Does that mean someone will be with them at all times? I was very hesitant to send my 4 year old before.
The Navigator will list specific times/activities for that age group, usually in the morning. These are activities specifically geared toward the preschool set and yet will be supervised.

It is ridicules to have kids from 3 -12 in the same area. They should have a 3-7 and a 5-12 area. This way the preschool with the young elementary are together and the full elementary K-6 can be together. This way most siblings could be together and the overlap between both groups for early elementary.

The Navigator will list specific times/activities for that age group, usually in the morning. These are activities specifically geared toward the preschool set and yet will be supervised.
Thank you, but the new policy says "with specially guided activities for children ages 3-4 years old." so it seems like something new in addition to that.

This is really a shame. Had planned to book a last hurrah trip for my 12 year old on the Wish before he aged out so he could experience the Star Wars themed area of the club. His brother, who will be 8, won't go in the club without him. No point booking that cruise at all now. Rather shocking that they've implemented this change with so little notice. We had considered booking a cruise on the Wish for this upcoming week and it's really, really expensive. We went with a Universal trip instead but I would be downright furious if I paid the premium for Xmas week on the Wish and my 12 year-old was not allowed in the club. I would feel like they changed the contract after making the sale. If anything, they should implement this for the next batch of cruises to be released. Let people vote with their wallets.

I’m onboard until Sunday if anyone wants me to ask the YA CMs any questions
Will 10 year olds still be allowed in the Edge? This policy change almost is the opposite for us. DD10 prefers the Edge mostly and I don’t know if we would book a cruise where she doesn’t have the option to go to Edge. If she can’t, we may just have to not book anything until she turns 11

Hi. I agree with the frustration. My concern is similar but slightly different. I understand they are being strict about not letting above 10 in the younger kids clubs. My question is did they also change the policy about a 10 year old being able to go to Edge if they have a sibling in edge and the parents sign the consent form? We were on the wish in August and our then 9 year old girl was bored (when she was younger she loved the club). She is now 10 and we are going on a B2B on the wish over Christmas because we knew she was 10 and could go to Edge. She is going to be devastated (and us parents struggling to keep her entertained) if she cannot sign in to Edge. Does anyone know?
Same here! Didn’t read this response before I posted mine with the same question. My 10 year old preferred Edge this time around and it was great to have the option to try it out but go to Oceaneer if she wasn’t ready for it.

I fully support this change having had a 5 year old hate the kids club because of all the 11-12 years olds hogging all of the activities and being rude to the little ones (with confirmation of this by my 9 year old.) 12 year olds don’t need to be hanging out with 4-5 year olds. And my now 11 year old will love that she doesn’t have to be with little kids.

Let’s be honest, there is no good time to implement this. The complainers just want it to not change their cruise. Anyone else’s cruise they don’t care about.

No, due to the way to bookings work for a cruise, it ensures that there is room on your sailing for your child/ren to go to the youth space for their age
So is the club always staffed as though it is full or is there an on call system for if they need more staff? I'm assuming (hoping) there's a certain ratio of CMs to children, like in childcare.

My newly 11 year old is going to be devastated. We have spent hours looking at the youth activities for our cruise that leaves in 2 weeks. She just turned 11 end of October. Her 10 year old cousin is going with us. They have been planing the fun things they can do. Now that’s gone. Just poof. They 100% should have waited to implement this change. To be before the paid in full date. So that we could cancel it, if we no longer wanted this and so that we could have more time to work through the new process.

If this is coming from a badly behaved child, what makes Disney think this is the solution? Now we are putting 11 and 12 in a group with 13 and 14 years old with less supervision. Less programming and less security. So now what? The badly behaved kids. Are still behaving badly but now with less supervision and more freedom? Now my 11 year old that just missed the cutoff that loves dress up and story time and being silly and goofy and never plays video games. Is with a bunch of teens that probably will not like those same things. In a boring space with no character or charm. Oh yeah. Can’t wait to have this discussion with her after school today.

My newly 11 year old is going to be devastated. We have spent hours looking at the youth activities for our cruise that leaves in 2 weeks. She just turned 11 end of October. Her 10 year old cousin is going with us. They have been planing the fun things they can do. Now that’s gone. Just poof. They 100% should have waited to implement this change. To be before the paid in full date. So that we could cancel it, if we no longer wanted this and so that we could have more time to work through the new process.

If this is coming from a badly behaved child, what makes Disney think this is the solution? Now we are putting 11 and 12 in a group with 13 and 14 years old with less supervision. Less programming and less security. So now what? The badly behaved kids. Are still behaving badly but now with less supervision and more freedom? Now my 11 year old that just missed the cutoff that loves dress up and story time and being silly and goofy and never plays video games. Is with a bunch of teens that probably will not like those same things. In a boring space with no character or charm. Oh yeah. Can’t wait to have this discussion with her after school today.
On behalf of all of the CMs onboard, I sincerely apologize to all this has affected 🥺

So is the club always staffed as though it is full or is there an on call system for if they need more staff? I'm assuming (hoping) there's a certain ratio of CMs to children, like in childcare.
Counselors are scheduled throughout the day; more in busy times, less in quieter times

There have been multiple reports of the FBI currently investigating an incident on the Magic this past March involving a 12 year old and a 3-year old. Within some of the facebook groups there were multiple people reporting being contacted by the FBI and Disney as part of the investigation.

All of this could be hearsay of course, and a case of don't always believe what you read on the internet, but I would really hope these people aren't lying about something like this.
Yeah, that case sounds more likely. A little googling and while details are thankfully scant it appears multiple kids may have been victims, just heartbreaking if true. If this is why I get why Disney has slammed the door shut, hopefully they'll provide refund exceptions for those that no longer want the cruise.

Yes! I have 2 11 year olds and we cruise in January. The one absolutely is not ready for the freedom with Edge. What a disappointment.
That is my exact same situation. I spoke to my husband and we decided that we would wait until our paid in full date and make the decision if the one is ready for the edge. If not we will cancel.

They have handled this extremely poorly. They absolutely should have announced the change but made it go into effect 3 months from now so families who this change didn’t work for could cancel before the paid in full date. Now they have families who have planned holiday cruises (sometimes with extended families or friends due to school being out) are completely stuck. If the change is being implemented due to disturbing incidents in March and 2021, why didn’t they do this sooner (like immediately) if that is the true reason for the change?

I do think 3-12 is way too broad an age range. They should have it broken into more like 3-7 and 8-11. While I get that a 11 or 12 year old would hog stuff or maybe be rude to a 4 year old, a 9-10 year old can as well or really any age kid. It is hard because older bigger kids will naturally dominate over a younger smaller kid because they think they can, and that is true with any age. Now they have somewhat shifted the problem by having all 11 year olds (whatever their social maturity or confidence level is) forced to be in the same space as 14 year olds with less supervision and more freedom. That may cause issues as well.

Thank you, but the new policy says "with specially guided activities for children ages 3-4 years old." so it seems like something new in addition to that.
I guess I read it as what's new is the upper age limit. They have already had activities specifically offered for pre-school age for a while now. Maybe they are adding more?

On behalf of all of the CMs onboard, I sincerely apologize to all this has affected 🥺
Poor CMs. Do you know how crowded open houses tend to be? Looks like that will be my 12yo’s only option for experiencing the stuff she was so excited to do 😢

Yeah, that case sounds more likely. A little googling and while details are thankfully scant it appears multiple kids may have been victims, just heartbreaking if true. If this is why I get why Disney has slammed the door shut, hopefully they'll provide refund exceptions for those that no longer want the cruise.
all of the online reports point to this blog https://www.braislaw.com/blog/21/ and the article they show from this law firm that was suing Disney has been taken down. I assume this quick change was part of the settlement, and the reason the original blog down. The headlines say a 12 year old boy was molesting multiple 3 year olds. I still wonder why 3 and 4 year olds (preschool) are put with 5-11 (up to 12) year olds (elementary)

all of the online reports point to this blog https://www.braislaw.com/blog/21/ and the article they show from this law firm that was suing Disney has been taken down. I assume this quick change was part of the settlement, and the reason the original blog down. The headlines say a 12 year old boy was molesting multiple 3 year olds. I still wonder why 3 and 4 year olds (preschool) are put with 5-11 (up to 12) year olds (elementary)
Originally they had ages separate. But then got a lot of complaints from parents that their kids couldn’t be together so they changed it to 3-12. They obviously have to pick a system and stick to it; not everyone is going to be happy no matter what they choose to do

Poor CMs. Do you know how crowded open houses tend to be? Looks like that will be my 12yo’s only option for experiencing the stuff she was so excited to do 😢
It has been a while since I have been to an Open House but I think it can depend on the day and time that it is on. Sometimes there are a lot of people, sometimes no one at all.
I think I read a previous post that someone asked if a 10 year old can be in Open House without a parent? The answer is yes, if they are a self-check. But be aware there is extremely minimal supervision by the Counselors and there are usually adults in the spaces at that time

It has been a while since I have been to an Open House but I think it can depend on the day and time that it is on. Sometimes there are a lot of people, sometimes no one at all.
I think I read a previous post that someone asked if a 10 year old can be in Open House without a parent? The answer is yes, if they are a self-check. But be aware there is extremely minimal supervision by the Counselors and there are usually adults in the spaces at that time
Thank you that was my question. We will assess when we get on the ship in March but at least that might give my husband and I some time alone if he and his sister want to hang out in the open house without us.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter