Kids 7 & 12 One Mile Kids or 5K?

Princess Merida

DIS Veteran
I just successfully pieced together a BWV std studio stay for January Marathon weekend (YAY!) and it will be me DD7 and DD12 running. Both of my girls are team dancers and are physically fit, but aren't runners yet. I've never done a running event, but I've been in kickboxing class for a few years now and do a bit of running there. We have plenty of time to train, but I'm wondering if I should start them with the one mile and run with them there or just go ahead and do the 5k. Has anyone done both? Do you feel one is better than the other, especially for kids? Thanks for any advice!!

I had my DD do a kid's race in 2017 and honestly it was such a headache to plan the trip to WWoS and get there and take away park time, that when I bring her with me to Wine and Dine this fall (she will be 7) I am gonna have her to the 5k with me. She has done a 5k before, but I feel like we will have more fun doing that together and stopping for characters together. Better memories to be made IMO.

At that age I would have them do the 5k. My niece and nephew have done the 5ks at that age and younger and love them. Lots of kids are out there. If getting up early will be a problem than that's the only reason I wouldn't sign them up as it's sounds like they are active and could handle the distance.

Yay! The 5k, for sure. My son has been doing 5k races since he was 4, and if he gets tired he just walks. It's not that far for active kids! I would probably have them do another 5k beforehand. The crowds might be a little unnerving, and a practice race might help them relax more once they are there. Have fun!

5k. Definitely. My boys (who are into NO sports and had NO endurance at the time), ran the Star Wars 5k at Disneyland at ages 9 and 11. My oldest ran the whole way with my husband. My youngest (the super lazy one), started off strong, ran about 1/2 mile, then we walked the rest of the way, throwing in some short jogs here and there.

Your girls will do fine if they are athletic.

I had my DD do a kid's race in 2017 and honestly it was such a headache to plan the trip to WWoS and get there and take away park time...

We are planning to be at Epcot for the one mile fun run day. How much trouble is it going to be to get them to ESPN?

We are planning to be at Epcot for the one mile fun run day. How much trouble is it going to be to get them to ESPN?
I think when we did it, we decided not to go to the parks until after her race. We also were renting a car, so we just drove to WWoS which helped. We just didn't want to risk trusting the buses and maybe getting there late.

Personally, I think between the nicer medal and going through Epcot they would enjoy the 5K a lot more.

My 7-year-old ran a 5K no problem, without training. I just set our intervals to walk 30, run 30 seconds.

My daughter is eleven. She ran her first 5K race three years ago. We completed the couch 2 5k program in our neighborhood to get her ready.

My daughter is eleven. She ran her first 5K race three years ago. We completed the couch 2 5k program in our neighborhood to get her ready.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!