Kids(3(almost!) and 11mos. Ideas????

hygienejean

Diser since 2002!
I will be travelling to WDW in May with my DH,DD,and DS! My parents will be coming too. We are staying at the BWV's in a 2 bedroom so kids can nap) My children are very young...11mos and almost 3(at the time of travel) I already know that this trip will be at a much SLOWER pace than any other trip to WDW. We plan to take it easy. How have other people done it? Did you wake up at the crack of dawn, go to the parks, come back at lunch to eat and nap and go out again? How did the kids handle all of the excitement? Did anyone spend more time at their resort pool than the parks? Does anyone have any tips or input as to make this upcoming vacation enjoyable for everyone? I have a feeling it will involve a lot of napping!!! LOL
Thanks all!
Jean:rolleyes:

If your children are creatures of habit, you may all be happier if you try to stick to their routine as much as possible. I would however try to be at the parks at opening. May can be hot and getting an early start will help a lot. At MK hit fantisty land first. I think breaks and naps will be a must for your family. I would also take your own strollers for both kids.I agree, take it slow and enjoy the parks through the eyes of the babies.

Jordan's mom

Our kids were two and three.

We tried napping at the hotel, but the kids were too keyed (and, of course, too tired to nap).

After the first non-successful nap day, we did this:

Arrive at the park at opening.

Get in as much as possible with fresh kids and fresh parents.

Around lunchtime, have lunch.

Get on some form of Disney transportation. The kids would immediately fall asleep and then we'd ride the bus (usually, we also did the MK train) around for about an hour with sleeping kids on our shoulder.

We didn't have a lot of luck sleeping in the stroller (a little, but not too much). And the problem with the hotel is that they'd fall asleep on the way back and the 10 or 20 minutes of sleep during travel was enough that they had enough nap to keep them going for a while, not enough to keep us from being miserable.

We then took it easy in the afternoon, spending it strolling with kids in the stroller through Epcot, catching the 3:00 parade at MK or MGM, but things where the kids weren't getting in and out of the stroller too much. An early dinner and then back to the hotel for lots of the Disney channel.

We only spent one afternoon at the pool. My kids love the water, but neither swims yet, nor do they like to get water in the face (be splashed). Actually, Grandma and Grandpa and the kids spent one afternoon at the pool - my husband and I went out to dinner and strolled through Epcot.

I'm so glad you posted this. We are going in Oct. 2002 with almost the exact same scenerio. Kids 3 1/2 and 10 mos. at time of travel. And the grandparents are going for the first time since the 70's (yipee!!!). We are staying at the Wilderness Lodge Villas in a 2 bdrm.

I'm trying to as much research as I can on the trip with the kids at this age. That idea about sleeping on the train is great. I have a ds that LOVES trains!!!

Wendy

I am praying that my two WILL sleep in the stroller.....Hoping actually! I think getting to the park early is really a must! Has anyone heard if Early Entry will ever happen again? That would be so helpful to get Dumbo out of my DS's system early in the a.m. I like the train idea too!
Jean:cool:

I hear the monorail is very nice for naps, too.

Air conditioned, and not too crowded in the middle of the day.

Hi,
We are going in Sept. My boys are 15 yrs, 12 yrs, 2.5 yrs and 5 months. My mil has been kind enough to offer to go with us and stay in the room when the little ones are tired. I think we are going to have a great trip. Our last one was in Sept 97 and we have been dying to get go back. AS Sports last time, this time
YC, so the bogger ones can have plenty of access to Epcot-games and DQ games, lol. You can see what their prioroities are.
Hope everyone has a great trip.:wave:

We had about the same for our last trip. Me DW, DSs 2 1/2 and 1 plus my parents. It was Feb. so it was not too hot. A child sleeping on you on the train will make you and him/her sweat alot. I guess a couple of ideas would be...

If they happen to fall asleep check for parade times, and find a nice spot (hopefully shady) and wait for the parade. They get a nap and assuming they wake up a good seat for a parade without having to sit there and wait for it.

If it's almost time to eat, maybe try to get in a peaceful meal(ask for a booth if you have too, they make nice beds in a pinch. Get some "to go" food for the kid when he wakes up... Eating in line will kill some time for him and hopefully make a wait a little shorter/easier.

I like the monorail idea too because you don't have to fold up strollers and the child may get a comfortable nap reclined in a stroller while you memorize some Spanish.

Maybe get in a long line, or sit down and wait for good seats for a show... Make sure you see Playhouse Disney. This was the longest we waited for anything all week, but it was well worth it.

The only nap we took all week back at the All Stars was after AK, before Chef Mickeys. We got lucky the entrie trip. I think that might have a lot to do with it, So... GOOD LUCK.

There is a path in the MK that is between Tomorrowland and Mickey's Toontown that is very quiet, lots of nice benches, a nice place to walk slowly and let the kids nap. We found that we could recline DD back and keep walking and she would fall asleep, and as long as it was not too hot (we'd find shade or go inside) and no sudden loud noises she would nap for an hour or more in her stroller.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!