Key West

Cheburashka

Momketeer
I'm wondering what will happen in terms of Key West remaining a mass market cruise port or not. I just read a Washington Post article about current efforts to get the large ship ban overturned.

Rough waters in Key West...

I would really like to sail to Key West some time via DCL. It's a place I've long wanted to go to, but it's not worth a long drive or a flight imo. As a small island with a few genuinely interesting sights, yet no great resorts, pools or sandy beaches, Key West seems the ideal place to explore for a day, and then leave. I've looked up the top hotels there and the prices are very high for what is generally described as middling quality. Plus it isn't conveniently located, so you can't easily drive in & out in a day.

I wish places like this would take a more moderate route and limit the schedule of bigger ships if they're concerned about environmental & cultural impact, but not ban them altogether.

Last edited:
I'm wondering what will happen in terms of Key West remaining a mass market cruise port or not. I just read a Washington Post article about current efforts to get the large ship ban overturned.

I would really like to sail to Key West some time via DCL. It's a place I've long wanted to go to, but it's not worth a long drive or a flight imo. As a small island with a few genuinely interesting sights, yet no great resorts, pools or sandy beaches, Key West seems the ideal place to explore for a day, and then leave. I've looked up the top hotels there and the prices are very high for what is generally described as middling quality. Plus it isn't conveniently located, so you can't easily drive in & out in a day.

I wish places like this would take a more moderate route and limit the schedule of bigger ships if they're concerned about environmental & cultural impact, but not ban them altogether.
I've been to Key West 3 times, twice driving, once via a cruise. Driving was definitely a better trip, for me. I'm actually in support of Key West banning large cruise ships from their port.

Woah. Honestly, my conclusion after visiting Key West is that I would love to live there.

All the charm is in smaller boutique hotels. Some of them have very cute pools... With very lush surroundings which I love.

I saw a beach on my trolley ride where I could totally see myself swim. It wasn't Grand Cayman but I thought it looked similar to Fort Lauderdale or Miami.

Lots of restaurants (hidden gems) and bars...

I could very easily see myself spend a whole week there.

I’m going to Key West in May and have been going to the Keys since I was kid. KW never seems in desperate need of day trippers. In fact I paid a HUGE premium to stay there in May and the time share I typically use was booked solid in KW until next winter. Us KW wannabes try and stay as long as we can. Its not about ‘interesting sights’ it’s about relaxing like a local.
Key West is not for everyone. It’s a ‘come on in and take your shoes off’ kind of town. I can see and support why they don’t want to be a cruise ship tourist stop.

Some friends of mine adore KW. They say the best way is to get a non-hotel accommodation, like a cottage. It is about chill, good food, sunsets for them.

The cruise ship tourists don't spend a lot of money, and the environmental damage in the port area is measurable. With the ships gone the locals are seeing lots more wildlife and loving it.

We had our Bahamas cruise with a stop in Key West cancelled and I was very disappointed not to visit that port. But I think we will just go there on our own and see what it is all about. So all of the comments about Key West are interesting to me as to how people like visiting there. A friend felt like after three days we would be bored but I think the chill atmosphere sounds pretty nice for a week.

We have been to Key West on cruises and for motel stays. I notice talk about ships damaging reefs, and the environment, and my vote would be to ban the larger ships. That’s what the locals want, and I think they should prevail.

Here's an informed and detailed letter to the editor of Keys Weekly about this issue. One thing that's pointed out toward the end is that Key West is a very gentrified island, and that many of the people who work there can't afford to live there. They have to commute in from neighboring islands, and therefore were not allowed to vote on the cruise ship ban.

That's certainly a different perspective on the issue than the one typically presented, which has been of a small community doing battle against a goliath industry that threatens their island. Instead, it is more of a wealthy enclave protecting their preferences and privileges against the economic needs of many Key West workers.

Keys Weekly

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter