Keto / low carb diet at Disneyland?

I'm low carb and have had no trouble over the years asking places to substitute, both table and quick service. Nearly all of them offer some sort of veggie option in place of fries, salads (I pick off the fruit), and chicken/burgers. I usually just knife & fork the sandwiches without the bun. It'll be fine.

Glad to find this thread! I'm three months into a hybrid keto/paleo and am 20lbs down.

I know those Turkey legs are good, but debating if they are worth it with the curing process of water, salt, sugar, sodium phosphate, sodium, erythobate and sodium nitrate - big meaty sugar & saltsickle, but that's what makes it taste so good. I think I'll roll the dice once while I'm there :thumbsup2 I've heard a lot of good things about the skewers at Bengal. Rancho del Zocalo has some great entrees that you can tell them to hold the rice/beans.

DCA has the Cove bar with lettuce wraps and chicken wings (again, gotta roll with the sauce with that one). That and Paradise Grill - you can ask for just the veg/meat from the pita on a plate.

Rancho del Zocalo has some great entrees that you can tell them to hold the rice/beans
They will let you swap out rice/beans for sauteed vegetables. Just wanted to let you know that they killed the vegetables when I ordered them. It was still a better choice than rice and beans, but don't get too excited when you see that option.

I've heard a lot of good things about the skewers at Bengal.
One thing to keep in mind for Bengal is that all of their glazes are pineapple-based. I know this because I'm allergic to pineapple and had to ask before ordering. So depending on how low-carb your diet is, you might have to limit those sauces. They were willing to make some plain, un-glazes skewers for me, which was nice, but I felt like that was a lot of money and time spent for a few chunks of un-seasoned meat. Now I'm also following keto and I don't have a trip planned for a while, but I'm imagining I'll rely on burgers without buns, salads, and maybe soups next time we go.

French market is your friend. And others from your party can bring food over. I purchased hard boiled eggs from a local grocery store for breakfast.

I'm fairly new here and tried searching the boards previously for a thread like this and didn't find anything. We are going to Disneyland next week and I was wondering if anyone tries to eat Keto (low carb high fat) while at Disneyland? I have been going strong on this way of eating for a few months now and lost several pounds. I was wondering how accommodating the restaurants might be related to requests for lower carb choices (eg. subbing out buns for lettuce, skipping the candied nuts on salads, subbing fries for veggies, no bread etc)? I don't plan on being so strict I miss out on magic, but I do want to make choices that help me continue to feel good and enjoy my trip to the fullest while we are there.

Thanks!

Bengal BBQ for the skewers would be a solid choice, also at Smokejumpers Grill in DCA you add the toppings to your burgers yourself at a salad-type bar so you can get as much lettuce as you want to use instead of buns etc..

I was hardcore with keto when we visited back in March. Instead of trying to track my food or stay super low carb I went with manageable choices. No pasta, very little bread (had a sandwich in a pinch once), and mostly stayed away from carbs. However, it was a vacation. I ate a few beignets and didn't feel guilty. My goal for the week was to just maintain my weight and I did that. The other goal - which I didn't set in advance - was to not suffer any ill effects from eating things I wasn't used to.

I just found this great thread. Since I am on a keto diet and going to the parks in late January I wanted to bump this in the list to see if there are any others out there with more suggestions. Thanks to all who have chimed in so far!

At Disneyland, The French Market is great for a low carb dieter. My husband is a very disciplined type 1 diabetic and we eat at The French Market every time we go to DLR. His favorite meal there is the French Market chicken. He gets double vegetables instead of the potatoes. He also likes the big salads there.

He can eat most of the Blue Bayou entrees, and just sub out the mashed potatoes/carb with extra veggies. There are so many choices on the Blue Bayou menu with all the seafood and steak meals.

At California Adventure, my husband loves to eat dinner at Carthay Circle. His favorite meal is the pork chop entree. Again, he can order most of the entrees available and just ask for extra veggies. He’s never been turned down at any of the restaurants at DLR. For lunch, my husband likes to eat at Cocina Cucamonga. He almost always gets the 1/2 chicken meal and asks for veggies instead of rice and beans. He gives me the tortillas because I love carbs.

DO NOT eat the turkey legs. They are brined and glazed in sugar.

There is a salad option at all dining locations, you can get anything with no bun, Tastepilots grill has a DIY salad toppings bar and you can order a chicken breast or burger. Plenty of options in parks. I always bring a few raw almonds and celery sticks to get me through when everyone else grabs a churro.

I have to admit I did not completely stick to my keto diet when there, but here are a few of the things I did:
  • Hungry Bear (DL): Cheeseburger, no sauce, no bun, no side (used fork and knife) - not that good, but we were there and hungry
  • Studio Catering (DCA): Street tacos, ate the filling out, tried to be sparing on the salsa - really good
  • Cocina Cucamonga (DCA): Citrus chicken, no sides - really good, but wasn't sure if the marinade had too much sugar
  • Refreshment Corner - Chili cheese dog, no bun. I can't remember, but I think their chili doesn't have beans - or I picked around the beans. I didn't finish the chili, as I wasn't sure how much sugar it had. Not very filling, but worked in a pinch.
Things I didn't do, but looked at:
  • Cocina Cucamonga - beef or chicken fajita salad without refried beans
  • Jolly Holiday - I checked their soups often; considered having turkey noodle and not eating the noodles
As I said, I fell off the keto diet, but as soon as I was home I got back on. It did take a bit to get back in to ketosis, but weight wise, with all the walking the few indulgences I had only made my weight go up a little bit. And after a week home I was back to weight I was at before the vacation. In my mind, the two week delay in my weight loss journey was worth it to allow myself a few small indulgences (otherwise called beignets, and a matterhorn macaroon - which I couldn't finish) so I felt like I was able to have the DL experience I wanted to have.

You have to do what you feel is best, I just wanted to share how it worked for me, which may or may not work for you.

Good for you. I'm a fellow keto girl here but went to DL in March and ate everything in sight. Not strong enough I guess!

I've done the parks paleo/keto. I find it helpful to bring an immersion blender and make a bullet type coffee in the morning with whatever you use to make yours (I usually carry small containers of coconut and MCT oil and a can of coconut cream). This sets you up to feel satiated in the morning (and maybe mid afternoon if you come back to the room). I also bring hardboiled eggs for a mid morning snack and nuts and often some veggies that travel like bell peppers and carrots. I think the key when eating in the park is to stick to veggies and protein and carry your own olive oil to add to your veggies to keep your fat up. I don't worry about a little sugar in certain meals. The roasted chicken at Rancho Del Zocalo is good as are the other suggestions from pps.

Very doable, but the temptation struggle is real. If you legit want to I would recommend doing some intermittent fasting before you got so your body is on that schedule and you only have to worry about a few hours.

And most important, all the snack stands have delicious Disneyland pickles which is a wonderful keto snack.

KCKO and good luck. I toss keto out the window when I go.

Ok so here's my list. I avoid the turkey leg. The only place you can get snack nuts is in the Critter Country shop but they are 8 grams carbs. I believe you can also find them in California adventure in the store by the Grizzly Rapids water ride - but no where else. Here's my almost exhaustive list of Disneyland. I also bring ziplock lunch bags of of oberto pepperoni sticks, and some form of salted almonds. Also remember just because you're in a park doesn't mean you have to eat all the sugary junk. You can also intermittent fast and get your ketosis burning. You can survive a week at Disneyland without leaving ketosis if you want.

MAINSTREET:
Plaza In buffet
- breakfast - eggs/bacon/sausage/made to order omelet

Jolly Holiday
- Egg bacon Croissant (w/hollandaise) – remove bun - 6
- Grilled chicken Provolone, Arugula, Pepperoncini, Bell Pepper, Tomato, and Caper-Basil Aïoli - remove bun - 11

Market House
*Breakfast
- Sausage, egg and cheddar sandwich – no bun – 5
- Bacon, egg and gouda – no bun 5

Carnation Café
*Breakfast
- Ham and Cheese Omelette – nix the hash browns - 11
- Oscar’s choice – nix the hash browns – 12
- Sausage Links – 3
- Bacon – 3
*Lunch/dinner
- Mainstreet Cheeseburger – no bun – salad wrap if possible – 14
- House salad w blue cheese dressing – 7
- Romain salad w/ shrimp – 11?

ADVENTURE LAND:
Bengal BBQ
- Jungle Skewer - Bacon Asparagus
- Chicken skewers – no sauce
- Pickles

River Bell Terrace
- Terrace wedge salad - 19
- Half chicken – 24

Rancho Del Zocado
- Citrus Chicken with exchange vegetables

Golden Horseshoe
- Grilled Chicken Mixed Green Salad - 11

NEW ORLEANS SQUARE:
French Market
- Royal Street Chicken Caesar salad – no croutons – 12
- Half chicken – no gravy or potatoes – 15

Café Orleans
- Steak – green veggies only. No sauce -24
- Muffaletta chop salad – no dressing or olives
- Nicoise salad – No dressing or olives

Blue Bayou
Numerous lunch and dinner items fish, chicken, lamb, steak, shrimp and lobster – just request no sauce and exchange veggies for rice, grits, Maque Choux (a corn salsa-esque) and potatoes.

CRITTER COUNTRY:
Harbour Galley (across from haunted house exit)
- Fisherman’s Salad no olives – 11
- Shrimp Salad – 11

Hungry Bear Restaurant
- Hamburger/Cheeseburger – remove bun and condiments.

FANTASY LAND:
Red Rose Tavern
- Breakfast Platter no bread or potatoes – 9
- Beast Burger – no bun, fried onions or aioli – 14
- Angus 1/3 lb burger – No bun or sauce – 12
- Chef’s Chop Salad – No dressing, croutons, apples – 10
- Chef’s Chop Salad w/ grilled chicken– No dressing, croutons, apples – 11

Troubadour’s Tavern (between Small World and Toon Town)
- Braatwurst with bacon sour kraut – no bun - 9

TOON TOWN
Pluto’s Dog House
- Premium Hotdog – 7 – no bun or toppings – not a great choice but if you’re hungry…

Daisy’s Diner
- Pepperoni Pizza – eat the topping – 8

Clarabelle’s
- Chef Salad – no dressing, croutons - 11
- Roasted Turkey Sandwich – no bread, or sauces - 10

TOMORROW LAND
Pizza Planet (by Space Mountain)
- Mega Pepperoni Slice – eat just topping - 8
- Centurion Caesar Salad

Galactic Grill (in the main courtyard at the Jedi training)
- Hamburger no buns etc...

Good luck!

I've eaten Keto for a year and a half, but I never adhere to it at DLR. Bengal BBQ has a lot of options, though.

Unless your eating keto due to a serious health concern, you might want to relax your diet while at Disneyland. I'm on a grain and sugar free diet but at Disneyland I've found it a lot easier, and enjoyable, to relax my diet while there. As long as you go back on it the day you get home it won't be a problem.

Its really tough to be on any type of food restriction during Halloween time at Disneyland.

Ok so here's my list. I avoid the turkey leg. The only place you can get snack nuts is in the Critter Country shop but they are 8 grams carbs. I believe you can also find them in California adventure in the store by the Grizzly Rapids water ride - but no where else. Here's my almost exhaustive list of Disneyland. I also bring ziplock lunch bags of of oberto pepperoni sticks, and some form of salted almonds. Also remember just because you're in a park doesn't mean you have to eat all the sugary junk. You can also intermittent fast and get your ketosis burning. You can survive a week at Disneyland without leaving ketosis if you want.

MAINSTREET:
Plaza In buffet
- breakfast - eggs/bacon/sausage/made to order omelet

Jolly Holiday
- Egg bacon Croissant (w/hollandaise) – remove bun - 6
- Grilled chicken Provolone, Arugula, Pepperoncini, Bell Pepper, Tomato, and Caper-Basil Aïoli - remove bun - 11

Market House
*Breakfast
- Sausage, egg and cheddar sandwich – no bun – 5
- Bacon, egg and gouda – no bun 5

Carnation Café
*Breakfast
- Ham and Cheese Omelette – nix the hash browns - 11
- Oscar’s choice – nix the hash browns – 12
- Sausage Links – 3
- Bacon – 3
*Lunch/dinner
- Mainstreet Cheeseburger – no bun – salad wrap if possible – 14
- House salad w blue cheese dressing – 7
- Romain salad w/ shrimp – 11?

ADVENTURE LAND:
Bengal BBQ
- Jungle Skewer - Bacon Asparagus
- Chicken skewers – no sauce
- Pickles

River Bell Terrace
- Terrace wedge salad - 19
- Half chicken – 24

Rancho Del Zocado
- Citrus Chicken with exchange vegetables

Golden Horseshoe
- Grilled Chicken Mixed Green Salad - 11

NEW ORLEANS SQUARE:
French Market
- Royal Street Chicken Caesar salad – no croutons – 12
- Half chicken – no gravy or potatoes – 15

Café Orleans
- Steak – green veggies only. No sauce -24
- Muffaletta chop salad – no dressing or olives
- Nicoise salad – No dressing or olives

Blue Bayou
Numerous lunch and dinner items fish, chicken, lamb, steak, shrimp and lobster – just request no sauce and exchange veggies for rice, grits, Maque Choux (a corn salsa-esque) and potatoes.

CRITTER COUNTRY:
Harbour Galley (across from haunted house exit)
- Fisherman’s Salad no olives – 11
- Shrimp Salad – 11

Hungry Bear Restaurant
- Hamburger/Cheeseburger – remove bun and condiments.

FANTASY LAND:
Red Rose Tavern
- Breakfast Platter no bread or potatoes – 9
- Beast Burger – no bun, fried onions or aioli – 14
- Angus 1/3 lb burger – No bun or sauce – 12
- Chef’s Chop Salad – No dressing, croutons, apples – 10
- Chef’s Chop Salad w/ grilled chicken– No dressing, croutons, apples – 11

Troubadour’s Tavern (between Small World and Toon Town)
- Braatwurst with bacon sour kraut – no bun - 9

TOON TOWN
Pluto’s Dog House
- Premium Hotdog – 7 – no bun or toppings – not a great choice but if you’re hungry…

Daisy’s Diner
- Pepperoni Pizza – eat the topping – 8

Clarabelle’s
- Chef Salad – no dressing, croutons - 11
- Roasted Turkey Sandwich – no bread, or sauces - 10

TOMORROW LAND
Pizza Planet (by Space Mountain)
- Mega Pepperoni Slice – eat just topping - 8
- Centurion Caesar Salad

Galactic Grill (in the main courtyard at the Jedi training)
- Hamburger no buns etc...

Good luck!
Thank you for all those details!!!

Also - and I know this isn't as fun as eating the Disney food - having almond butter squeeze packs with you might be helpful when you're in between locations that serve foods you'll want to eat. They're tiny and easy to deal with. Same with coconut butter squeeze packs (Artisana makes them).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter