Kennedy Space Center?

jenPSU

Mouseketeer
We are planning a Jan 2020 trip next year, and because our trip ends with Martin Luther King weekend and that Monday is a holiday for us, I suggested to my husband that we do a Saturday to Sunday trip rather than Saturday to Saturday (we like to return with one day left of vacation to recover from our vacation, lol). I was excited for the chance to have another full day at WDW, obvi, but my husband is interested in a chance of pace and doing something else in the area. For those that have been, what are your thoughts about Kennedy Space Center? Our kids will be 4 and 8, will it be fun for them? Is the only option to rent a car, or is there potentially bus tour we can catch from Orlando?

PS We are already planning a day at Universal that week.

I love the Kennedy Space Center! I have been three times and still haven’t seen everything. It’s not the same kind of park as a Disney or Universal park. It’s focused more on history and exhibits and things to look at as opposed to things to do or ride. So it will depend on your kids whether they would find that fun. One thing that surprised me the first visit was the number of gators we saw while on the bus tour. Lots of big gators!

For those that have been, what are your thoughts about Kennedy Space Center? Our kids will be 4 and 8, will it be fun for them?

Try reading these older threads. The overall general experience hasn't changed, so the fact that they are over a year old doesn't really matter much.

Is the only option to rent a car, or is there potentially bus tour we can catch from Orlando?

You can take a bus tour. There are others, but Gray Line Orlando has tours that are either transportation only (starting at $59) or transportation plus tickets (starting at $119).

https://graylineorlando.com/

However, at those prices, it's probably cheaper to rent a car if you have four people.

Kennedy Space Center is a great idea. If you're coming from Disney, I think your best bet would be to rent a car. That way you can control when you go and come back. If you're staying at a Disney resort, its pretty easy to rent a car (Alamo/National) for the day from either the Car Care Center outside Magic Kingdom or the Swan/Dolphin. The Alamo shuttle can pick you up at your resort and take you back afterwards, if renting from the CCC.

As far as KSC goes, they've made it more kid friendly recently. The new Atlantis exhibit is spectacular and they have a large kids area...large indoor slide, etc. I'm sure the kids will also be impressed by the size of the rockets, etc. And yes, you might see gators on the bus ride. We didn't last year, but have in the past.

If you're staying at a Disney resort, its pretty easy to rent a car (Alamo/National) for the day from either the Car Care Center outside Magic Kingdom or the Swan/Dolphin. The Alamo shuttle can pick you up at your resort and take you back afterwards, if renting from the CCC.

You can also rent cars at most of the Disney Springs Hotels. All of those locations are within walking distance of Disney Springs. So, you can take a Disney bus there and walk over to the location.

That said, Alamo/National is probably easiest. But, if rates there are stupid expensive, it might be worth checking out these other locations. (Avis is the closest; located at the Hilton Lake Buena Vista across the street from the Marketplace section of Disney Springs.)

We did it before our cruise back in 2012. Definitely not a Disneyworld level attraction, but it was cool to see something "real." If you have the time, definitely worth doing.

We did it before our cruise back in 2012. Definitely not a Disneyworld level attraction, but it was cool to see something "real." If you have the time, definitely worth doing.

FYI: I would describe the Space Shuttle Atlantis exhibit (opened June 2013) to be a Disney-level attraction. It has multiple pre-shows, a highly dramatic setting for the Shuttle, and a simulated launch experience..

FYI: I would describe the Space Shuttle Atlantis exhibit (opened June 2013) to be a Disney-level attraction. It has multiple pre-shows, a highly dramatic setting for the Shuttle, and a simulated launch experience..

@schumigirl also provided a great trip report recently that included KSC (link starts with KSC at page 23)...

https://www.disboards.com/threads/h...ay-nights-at-rpr-nov-dec-2018.3720520/page-23

Thanks Jaxdad…...appreciate the shout out...….:thumbsup2

writerguyfl…...I totally agree...…..we were blown away by the whole place and thought it was one of our best days ever in Florida.

Everything was of the highest standard and the Atlantis Exhibit was phenomenal......we cannot wait to get back next time.

Everything was of the highest standard and the Atlantis Exhibit was phenomenal......we cannot wait to get back next time.

They really did up their game with the Atlantis Exhibit.

If you have any interest how the space program was started, I highly recommend the Cape Canaveral Early Space Tour.

https://kennedyspacecenter.com/explore-attractions/behind-the-gates/cape-canaveral-early-space-tour

It costs $25 extra, but it's worth every penny in my opinion. You get to visit historical sites, including the control rooms with their ancient technology. According to the tour guide when I went, all the guides that work the specialty tours are retired NASA personnel (or people who worked on the various programs as a third-party contractor). So, it's likely that your tour guide will have many personal stories to tell about the space program and the astronauts.

My kids loved it, we also hit coco beach the same day.
We had a go orlando pass it was really worth it. Gave us stuff to do at night with some parks closing at 6. Kennedy is on it as well. I know you are a little bit out but they are on groupon for cheaper.

After every Orlando trip, which is usually a week of mostly theme parks with one day at KSC, I ask my boys what their favorite part of the vacation was. It is hands down Kennedy Space Center, Every. Single. Trip.

It's an easy drive (toll road, be prepared), and a really nice time. The food is good and reasonably priced compared to theme park food, and there is a lot to do. Highlight of our trip several years ago - our oldest (about 15 at the time) spent probably 30 minutes talking to a retired flight controller about rockets and technology and he was even given a challenge coin at the end for being such a great conversationalist.

The IMAX movies are cool, the Atlantis exhibit is amazing, and it's just a really fun day.

We always leave the space center about 4:30 - 4:45 and get back to Orlando just in time to have dinner at Universal's City Walk (free parking after 6, I think).

Highlight of our trip several years ago - our oldest (about 15 at the time) spent probably 30 minutes talking to a retired flight controller about rockets and technology and he was even given a challenge coin at the end for being such a great conversationalist.

I mentioned this type of interaction in one of the linked threads I provided above. For anyone interested in space, being able to chat with someone who worked on the space program is a great experience.

In my experience, these people are stationed in the Atlantis Exhibit in the upstairs area under the Shuttle.

I mentioned this type of interaction in one of the linked threads I provided above. For anyone interested in space, being able to chat with someone who worked on the space program is a great experience.

In my experience, these people are stationed in the Atlantis Exhibit in the upstairs area under the Shuttle.

Also in the Apollo / Saturn V building.

Everyone is pretty much spot on with what they have said and what you should see. Make sure you do the Apollo tour so the kids can see the Saturn V rocket on it's side. Also, check out lunch with an astronaut and the KSC website (www.ksc.nasa.gov) later this year and see if they have any launches scheduled. 2 Reasons, first is seeing one is pretty awesome. I saw a few shuttles go up and they were all amazing. Second - if there is a launch scheduled admission may be higher, you may have special admission hours and can't leave, and some tours do not run on launch days. By special admission hours, you could be expected to get there at a very odd time. One shuttle launch I attended we had to arrive no later than 1am and we had to stay until an hour after launch. In cases like these everything is open at the visitors center though and the IMAX movies are running. Also, you can park yourself in the viewing area. Bring a blanket and take a nap like I did with my friend when I went.

The only thing I'd add to DanielleC's comment about attending a launch is be prepared for it not to happen. Launch scrubs are fairly common, as they're dealing with rocket science, weather, and many other factors. I've been to two Space Shuttle and three rocket launch attempts. All five of those were scrubbed.

I know I'm late to the thread, but wanted to give my wholehearted endorsement for visiting KSC. Had I visited when I was 8, I would have almost been overwhelmed by seeing the space program up close and in person.

Writerguyfl is 100% right about the Early Space Tour. The Behind The Scenes Tour was also amazing – especially going inside the Vehicle Assembly Building – but riding a bus to a big building (no matter how incredible its engineering and history are) may not play to someone who is 4.

Not OP but also wondering about KSC as our cruise next year stops at Port Canaveral and many talk highly of the space centre. Not to play devils advocate, but what exactly do you do there? Is it just walking around reading things? Or is it interactive for kids? I have to admit that offhand it doesn't seem that interesting but guess since I'm not overly excited about space...but many seem to rave about it. It's pricey as well (esp if we do it via ship excursion)
PS - Our kids will be 14 and 10 when we travel.

Not OP but also wondering about KSC as our cruise next year stops at Port Canaveral and many talk highly of the space centre. Not to play devils advocate, but what exactly do you do there? Is it just walking around reading things? Or is it interactive for kids? I have to admit that offhand it doesn't seem that interesting but guess since I'm not overly excited about space...but many seem to rave about it. It's pricey as well (esp if we do it via ship excursion)
PS - Our kids will be 14 and 10 when we travel.

I highly recommend KSC. I've been there before from Disney trips, but we also went last year during a Royal Caribbean cruise. Rather than doing the official excursion, which, as you said, is pricey, you might want to look into renting a car at the port and driving to KSC (its an easy 20-30 minute drive). You'll save some money and be on your own schedule (when the port buses hit, the tour line can get crowded). Some of the ships dock very close to the Alamo/National/Enterprise rental center, some don't...you may have to look that up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter