• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Kennedy Space Center-worth it?

heath dog

Can't get enough Disney!
I posted this on the orlando attractions site too. Any help would be great!
Every time we go we think that we will do this and we never do. This time we are more into trying and we just want to know how worth it is? There will be no launching scheduled while we are there. We like science museum type places. I have been to the website so I have an idea but just would like some feed back on how great it is? What is there? etc.

Thank you so much!!

We went back in 1998 - just me and my DH. We did find it quite interesting although I thought it was very expensive for what you get. Bring along binoculars if you want to even see the launch pad for the shuttle. I think the closest you come is 3 miles. If you are looking for something different than Disney, then go. I probably would go again with my 2 DS when they are older.

Went with DH, 18 month old twins, DB and SIL and 1 year old, and DM and DD-we all hated it! My parents lived in Ocala at the time and since the whole family was there we decided to do something together. We thought it was very expensive and a lot of just looking-no hands on stuff. Wouldn't go back-even when our kids are older.

My family went there last winter and besides the cold weather, we loved it. I think you have to be curious about space travel in order to really enjoy it. My parents who saw the first walk on the moon especially loved it because they could relate. They kept telling my brother and I how they remember what happened. Although I would have liked to skip some of the movies in the begining of each tour, the best part was seeing a real space craft inside one of the stops. We all left that area in smiles. Hopefully this summer when we go back we can see a launch. One of my friends said she saw it last year and said it was absolutly unbelievable. I would definatly recomend going especially if space interests you. I loved it and can't wait to go back!

Granted, this is not a theme park or a hands-on
museum, so some people may have the wrong
expectations.
My family loves it.
With the Visitor's Center, Imax theater, Bus tour,
Astronaut's memorial, Rocket Park....etc.
Plenty to do and see.
It is not geared towards young kids though so you
may want to keep that in mind.

Does anybody have any specifics on the tours that are offered? i went to the website but it is rather general like"see this and this..." I know there are Imax movies, I know there is a bus tour that costs extra that takes you around and you get off at various places and then you jump on the next bus as it comes by. But I have heard there are other tours where you get more in depth info and actually see the assembly building and stuff. I think that I'm looking for more of a guided tour.

Anyway, can anybody tell me what tours they have taken at the Space Center and what was covered by it? Did you wander on your own or was it a guided tour? Details please.....

Thanks so much!

We took the bus tour. At each stop, when you got off, you were on your own to see what was at that stop. My kids, (8,6 and almost 3) were bored, but I was interested and would have spent more time if they were not with me. We also saw one IMAX movie which everyone liked. I think the part the kids liked the best was an exhibit where you could "drive" a remote-controlled mars rover or something.

It's definitely worth it, but I wouldn't take a child under about 6 or 7, maybe older.

We visited the Space Center last December with our children, 12 and 17 at the time. Despite the miserably cold, damp weather that day we all felt this was one of the highlights of our trip.
The films and exhibits were AWESOME. We are hoping the launch scheduled during our July trip will take place as we are looking forward to returning to the center.

I can't wait to go back in June! I have been there several times over the last 10 years and I never get bored. Grant it if you are a young child, you can not absorb the impact of being there. To me this is American history and the universe and oh wow!

Jen

I just wanted to thank everyone for their input. I am going to print it off and take it to my husband. It sounds like it might be worth the run.

Heath Dog,
My family loved it, even the 6 year old. They got to meet and ask questions of a real astronaut, see the Saturn 5 rocket, touch a moon rock, walk inside a space shuttle.. plenty to do. Also be sure to look for dolphins from the viewing tower, bald eagles and alligators beside the roads! Plan on a whole day to see everything. Hope you enjoy your trip.

Click on tours and exhibits at this site:
http://www.kennedyspacecenter.com

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter