Keeping a mobile device charged

JodyLynC

DIS Veteran
I have a concern. Since Disney, Touring Plans, crowd calendars, and attraction sites all seem to have apps, I am concerned with my phone battery draining well before we are done for the day. Does anyone have any suggestions? Are there places in the parks you can charge your devices? Do you take multiple devices so if one device starts getting a low battery, you can use the other? Am I worrying about nothing?

:confused3

We have several "lipstick chargers" as we call them (see below link for charger and short cable), we bring enough to share among our group as needed - we charge phones in hotel room overnight, then leave lipstick chargers to charge in room during morning and go get them during afternoon break or take other charged ones if we don't plan a break during a day.

They sell/rent these at the gift shop at the Space Mountain exit, but I think they cost a lot more than buying some and bringing them with you on the trip.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AA6CS86/

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_i...Charger+for+iPhone+5+S+C+6+6S+7+PLUS+Charging

Last edited:
I have a concern. Since Disney, Touring Plans, crowd calendars, and attraction sites all seem to have apps, I am concerned with my phone battery draining well before we are done for the day. Does anyone have any suggestions? Are there places in the parks you can charge your devices? Do you take multiple devices so if one device starts getting a low battery, you can use the other? Am I worrying about nothing?

:confused3

I travel with a portable USB battery charger thing. If I know I'll have a long park day without being near a charger, I'll carry it and a charging cord with me just in case. I'm not sure what brand I have but it's super light and works well.

They have "Fuel Rod" stations in the parks where you can buy a fully charged one, but you'll still need a charging cord. I'm not sure of the specifics about how the Fuel Rod stations work.

I have a charging case (like a Mophie). I will charge the phone & case overnight each night. I will let the phone run nearly empty, then use the case to fully charge it again. Hoping a fully charged phone 2x will cover a day!
Using a Running Buddy so no room for my lipstick charger--just ID, CC, phone, sunscreen packet & bandaid. Chapstick in one pocket, small pill holder in another.

My suggestion is go ahead and get them all on your phone, use your phone like normal, but open those apps (or just web browse more than normal) and I suspect, that will be about what it will be like when you are there. Doesn't hurt to have a printed copy, either. I print out our touring plan and fastpass times, so if there's a computer glitch (which does happen) I've got it to show. That also keeps me from using my phone ever 2 minutes because I've forgotten what's next.

I recommend a charger, depending on your device(s) and usage you may be able to get away with a small "lipstick" style one or you may want a larger one. I like anker personally:

https://smile.amazon.com/Anker-Powe...7003&sr=8-2&keywords=cell+phone+charger+anker

If you have multiple devices just get a larger one, and charge it at night with your phone (this is a good reason to bring power strip with you as well, or a multi port charging station)...

https://smile.amazon.com/Anker-6-Po...1-2&keywords=cell+phone+charger+station+anker

I travel with a portable USB battery charger thing. If I know I'll have a long park day without being near a charger, I'll carry it and a charging cord with me just in case. I'm not sure what brand I have but it's super light and works well.

They have "Fuel Rod" stations in the parks where you can buy a fully charged one, but you'll still need a charging cord. I'm not sure of the specifics about how the Fuel Rod stations work.

The fuel rods come with the cords. Works with iPhones & androids.
You can swap out the fuel rods once they are used up with a fresh one. Or you can just recharge it back in your hotel room. We had no problems using it.

The fuel rods come with the cords. Works with iPhones & androids.
You can swap out the fuel rods once they are used up with a fresh one. Or you can just recharge it back in your hotel room. We had no problems using it.

Ahh, cool - thanks for the info! :thumbsup2

I carry a small battery and also keep my phone on low power mode. It's built into iOS 10, and many Android devices have similar battery saver modes. Helps a lot!

I believe you can plug in by the Rapunzel bathrooms? Not quite as efficient as having a battery in your pocket, but possibly smaller any lighter to carry a charger than a batter.

As some PPs have mentioned, the small, mini 'lipstick' chargers made by Anker, Aukey & Jackery (name brands that I like & trust . . . your mileage may vary) sell for $15 and under on amazon. Easy to use & easy to carry. I slip one into a snack sz ziplock bag for some basic rain/splash protection & am ready to go for the day.

ps a low tech solution is to print out your ADRs & FPs, fold the papers into quarters and slide into the back of your carry bag. I find it faster to just glance at the paper than power up my device. Saves a lot of time & power when you are in the parks.

So long as you're on wifi, you really don't have to worry about your phone draining its battery. Just don't constantly use it and you should be OK.

Enable wifi calling and it should help even more.

Jackery Giant has some nice power banks, someone posted the link above. That should give you more than enough power to last the day.

Also, watch amazon specials for some of those lipstick style chargers. I got one for $5 during one of the specials. I use it in the parks when my battery gets low.

Also, if you are a DVC member, the EPCOT DVC lounge in the imagination pavilion is a convenient stop for charging your phone, they may even have an extra cable they can lend you of you forget yours.

We have several Anker chargers and they are the best. We usually take one that will charge two phones at once, so we aren't fighting over it. lol

I used a portable battery charger. I researched a bit and ended up using one recommended by disneytouristblog and even got it on sale!

Agree w/above posters - portable chargers are great. We also use the Jackery brand from Amazon, and charge them up each night to have with us. We have the one charge and three charge versions, and are easy to carry in purse or backsack. We got them originally for Disney when FP+ started, but use them all the time at home as well. They are great for long car trips, kids take them to friend's houses and sleepovers, to all day tournaments, etc.

We also like bring a multicharger for the room since plugs aren't always convenient, and it has plugs and USB spots to charge phones and portable chargers.

I really like my Mophie portable charger (the charging cases are too bulky for me). I have two Mophie portable chargers, but generally I can get through the day only using one of the chargers

I bought one at Best Buy before our trip that can charge two devices at once and does 4 charges! It worked out great for the 4 of us! I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head, but it was less than $30 and a lifesaver!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter