Keep returning to the same resort

I like change so I do a different resort each time. I don't like vacationing at the same place over and over again so when I do go to Disney every 2-3 years it's a different resort. It makes it feel like a completely different vacation. I even do split stays so we can try two new resorts. Next trip is POFQ and BWV. Last trip was Poly and BC. We did do CBR two separate years because my XH loved it so much (and we were divorced when we went the second time and he was paying so I didn't have any say LOL) and it wasn't worth the fight. I really wanted to try a new resort but I really enjoyed CBR both times.

Do you ever choose a resort you know isn't going to be convenient or doesn't have what you really need just because you want to change things up?

Not a complaint, I suppose, just trying to sort out a little bit of disappointment I have. We look forward to our Disney trips every year (or 6 months if we can swing it). For the last three years we've been staying at BWI. For a host of really good reasons, it's the resort that makes sense for us and we enjoy it very much: dedicated buses, boats, walking paths to HS and EP, the BoardWalk itself, access to good food, my kids like the pool and it's not as crowded as Stormalong Bay, etc. In the past we've stayed once at BC, twice at GF, once at CR. Every time I ask my kids and husband where we should stay, they all say BWI. At the very least they will not budge on staying at an EP resort. Fair enough: We love walking into and out of EP and we only go to MK maybe once per trip. But I've really been longing for a change: to try Wilderness Lodge or Poly, or return to GF or give the Swan a go. But there's always a really good reason to not go with those others: it would be super inconvenient for us to stay at an MK resort when we aren't MK people; Swan (with all of its fees and no ME shuttle) always costs more than our BWI deal, etc.

BWI really is the best place for us, and while I long to know what WL feels like to stay there, the bottom line is it's not right for my family and our touring style (no day bed for my son, isolated and only close to MK). But there's still disappointment in realizing that, I suppose.

Curious if any of you have knowingly chose to stay at a resort that didn't make "sense" for a bunch of reasons, solely for the change...

*looks at signature* nope. We're the same, we love the BC/YC area, spend a ton of time at HS and Epcot and love being able to walk to both, so it's in the best place for us. While I would love to stay at AKL (mainly for the animals) it would be so inconvenient for us to stay there we haven't been able to talk ourselves into it.

We keep doing the same thing and I would like to try a few other resorts but we are so stuck on the monorail line..lol I mean before we stayed on the monorail line we tried many resorts but then after the monorail line I just cant seem to book anywhere else

Thanks, everyone, for sharing your experiences and the encouragement. I have been LONG overdue for my first solo trip, so I should use that as an opportunity to try a new resort. Our stays never feel quite long enough to do a split stay; we can never squeeze in more than 5 nights and 4 park days due to my husband's work and my kids' school schedules. Hopefully I will get a WL visit in soon. I think I could live a happy life and not try the Poly even though I'd like to, but boy does WL call to me...

Thanks, everyone, for sharing your experiences and the encouragement. I have been LONG overdue for my first solo trip, so I should use that as an opportunity to try a new resort. Our stays never feel quite long enough to do a split stay; we can never squeeze in more than 5 nights and 4 park days due to my husband's work and my kids' school schedules. Hopefully I will get a WL visit in soon. I think I could live a happy life and not try the Poly even though I'd like to, but boy does WL call to me...

Sounds like a great plan to me. We are staying at WL (CCV) for the first time in April, and I cannot tell you how excited we are, there's something about the WL that calls to us too.

To this point we have always stayed at POR or FQ (mostly for that boat to Disney Springs) and this time we are staying at AKL. After this trip we will me mixing it up even more because I refuse to pay parking fee's to Disney so we will be staying at Swan/Dolphin and one of the other Good Neighbor Hotels. I am actually looking forward to mixing it up a bit and trying some new places.

We have done this in the past. DH and I typically stay at a POR or CSR, mostly because we love the theme, right price point for us, love the pools and the food courts. But two years ago we decided just to switch it up and stay at AKL. I was apprehensive because the Mara (quick service) at AKL wasn't appealing to us, I've heard about the longer drives from the resort, and it bugged me that I was paying deluxe prices yet there were no alternative transportation options other than buses. But it had the right availability for us and DH was pushing for it, so we stayed anyway. It ended up being a good stay. The dining options ended up being more than sufficient and while some of the bus rides were long, we didn't mind it as much as we thought. We just built that into our schedule to accommodate it. I don't think we'd repeat stay at AKL until we've tried a few others, but it all worked out in the end. You really can't go wrong with any Disney resort!

Yes, that Epcot resort area is hard to break away from!! We used to stay at BC quite a lot when my kids were very young. We just loved ending each night strolling around the Epcot countries. Sometimes we'd just walk around the boardwalk loop, grab some drinks, talk and enjoy the magic shows and fireworks.

After a while, though, it did feel like we needed to switch things up. We eventually fell in love with Poly and GF and now they rate at the top of our favorites list. BC still has a soft spot, though, and we are staying there again this summer :).

I know you said 5 nights is usually your max, but if you ever find a way in the summer to go for 7-8 nights, you should consider starting your stay at a different resort and then ending it at your favorite resort. It's less risky that way because you know you'll end your trip at your favorite. And you might even discover a "new" favorite!

We almost always stay at CR when we want to stay in the MK area. The garden wing rooms are affordable, and we love walking to MK. At Thanksgiving we ended up at WL. By the time we had made a decision to spend Thanksgiving at Disney, the garden wing at CR had zero availability. I was sure I wouldn’t like WL. I did not like the idea of a bus or boat to MK. I wanted to walk. I was prepared for lots of disappointment. I found myself quite surprised at how much I really loved it!!! I did not particularly care for the boat (lots of mosquitoes), but the bus was actually quite pleasant. No complaints about the transportation from WL. It was breathtaking inside as well. I tend to prefer the decor at BWI and GF, so I was sure I wouldn’t care for the rustic look inside WL. Turns out I was wrong. I felt quite at home there. It is now possibly my favorite resort (I also love BWI...also Pop Century). We are planning to return to WL this Thanksgiving! So my advice is to try something new. :D

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter