KA WA‘A, a luau at Aulani - ??

My husband did feel it was one of the top three highlights of our whole trip. I thought the conenvience was worth it. I am not the type of person who would do a Luau every time we visit Hawaii because of the cost I think it is a once in a while thing. I would do it again in 5 years if at Aulani. If you go strike up a conversation with the performers. The people were so warm and friendly. I really don't think you will be disappointed overall. Maybe it doesn't take the Luau experience to the next level, but it is very good performance with very talented performers.

So one person wasn't thrilled with the experience and everyone has already condemned it. Sad.
I think it's sad that Disney keeps taking away free experiences then adding them back with cupcakes and charging for them. Not apologizing for that opinion, either, especially at the price points.

However, some of the Paradise Cove pre-show activities sound like thins my kids would really enjoy, and the ones at Aulani are mostly stuff we can do anytime at the resort. Not to mention the cost difference, which on a 2-week trip, can at least help a little.

Sorry you think I'm "sad."

I have to agree with the activities. My kids went to Aunty's Aloha part the next day at the beach house and did the same flower bracelet and stamping activites as from the Luau the night before. The tattoos were fun because they said you got the tribal tatoo you deserved the guys drew cool designs or pictures with sharpies basically but it was kind of fun and had the longest line. My kids also enjoyed the smashing the Taro into Poi. The liked the other activities too but those were repeats of other things you can do at the resort in other areas

I think it's sad that Disney keeps taking away free experiences then adding them back with cupcakes and charging for them. Not apologizing for that opinion, either, especially at the price points.

However, some of the Paradise Cove pre-show activities sound like thins my kids would really enjoy, and the ones at Aulani are mostly stuff we can do anytime at the resort. Not to mention the cost difference, which on a 2-week trip, can at least help a little.

Sorry you think I'm "sad."

There has been one show of it and like all things it will probably be tweeked in the coming months. From alot of researching it sounded like most people weren't thrilled will the Starlight Hui. It totally makes sense for Aulani to do a Luau to compete against the others.

In the end not one places show is going to fit everyone's needs.

Just booked Sat 11/26 over the Thanksgiving weekend. Here's my experience.

-I had to call twice over the span of 3 days before a reservationist called back. Guess they're really backed up.
-Was asked to pay in full with a credit card, cancel-able up to 48 hours prior.
-VIP seating was sold out, so I booked general seating. I specifically asked, and was told that the view is almost the same as the VIP, the biggest difference is with the unlimited alcoholic drinks that comes with the VIP. Don't know how true that is. Hopefully, someone can chime in.

image.jpeg I was at Aulani for the first luau last week. Though I didn't go to the luau, we were in a room that overlooked the luau lawn. We watched from our balcony and really enjoyed the show, of course, it was free for us. They use the main stage as well as a smaller one in the center of the lawn and two in the back. So there are some views closer to more people. You can see from the photo that there aren't too many seats, and I would think most have a pretty good view.

View attachment 205857 I was at Aulani for the first luau last week. Though I didn't go to the luau, we were in a room that overlooked the luau lawn. We watched from our balcony and really enjoyed the show, of course, it was free for us. They use the main stage as well as a smaller one in the center of the lawn and two in the back. So there are some views closer to more people. You can see from the photo that there aren't too many seats, and I would think most have a pretty good view.
Soooo, what was your room number??? LOL I'll bet it will soon become a premium view category. But if everyone just stays shhhhhhhh, maybe not before my trip!! LOL

Seriously though, thanks SO much for that pic. GREAT to know the setup. Still think we'll do Paradise Cove instead, but if somebody likes intimate, this is definitely that.

We just did the luau tonight and loved it! We have nothing to compare to but still would do it again on a future trip, maybe not every trip but def again. The food was very good, and the whole show was excellent. I am dead tired so feel free to ask questions and will answer tomorrow.

We just did the luau tonight and loved it! We have nothing to compare to but still would do it again on a future trip, maybe not every trip but def again. The food was very good, and the whole show was excellent. I am dead tired so feel free to ask questions and will answer tomorrow.
jlwhitney, what room did you end up getting? Did you make a request for that room or one near it? The last time we went (2 years ago), we didn't get close to where we asked, but still had a great ocean view. Wonder what they'll call that one... island/luau view? :)

jlwhitney, what room did you end up getting? Did you make a request for that room or one near it? The last time we went (2 years ago), we didn't get close to where we asked, but still had a great ocean view. Wonder what they'll call that one... island/luau view? :)

We never put in a request. We don't have a view of it but no biggie since the only one this week was the one we went to.

After calling Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday and getting a recording, someone finally called me back on Sunday. They are only taking reservations 60 days out. Wish that info was on the recording I got when I called. Frustrating!

If you had read on the website they give the hours the phone line is open, but its stated in Hawaiian time and also states up to 60 days.

https://resorts.disney.go.com/aulani-hawaii-resort/activities/luau/
I am frustrated with the info provided on the website. It says to call 60 days prior to arrival. I called 60 days prior to my arrival and they told me to call back 60 days prior to the luau. However, it is not listed what days the luau is on. It says to check the daily IWA which is not posted 60 days out. Perhaps if they had clearer info on the website they would be able to control the call volume. I did send an email to Aulani regarding this issue.

I am frustrated with the info provided on the website. It says to call 60 days prior to arrival. I called 60 days prior to my arrival and they told me to call back 60 days prior to the luau. However, it is not listed what days the luau is on. It says to check the daily IWA which is not posted 60 days out. Perhaps if they had clearer info on the website they would be able to control the call volume. I did send an email to Aulani regarding this issue.

Luau is Wed and sat for the most part unless there is an already scheduled event (like a wedding ) that was set in place before they planned the luau.

I called during the correct times. I still got a recording, promising me I would get a call back within 24 hours. It took 4 days.

I have been calling everyday since Monday and have left several voicemails and have yet to receive a returned phone call! Maybe the famous Disney service isn't so famous in Hawaii?

I called and got voicemail--I didn't leave a message, but they called me back anyway...within probably 20 mins! Then I was able to schedule with no issues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter