• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just thinking out loud about future contracts...

SusieQ79

Mouseketeer
DH and I were talking the other day about our DVC contract and what we'd like to do in the future. I'm just kind of thinking out loud here, but you guys are so smart with the monetary piece and systems behind DVC, I'd be interested to get your input.

Here's our situation:

- 150 pt holders for Aulani, purchase almost a year ago. We had no clue about the resale market, and if we had we'd have gone that way, but we were "uninitiated" in the details of DVC at that point.

- We bought during a promotion where they matched the points you bought, so we have a surplus of 100 we're banking, and using the rest for our trip in two weeks.

- We wished we'd have purchased for on-site property and via resale now. (Hindsight and all that.)

- We will have the contract paid off by around August of this year.

- We go back at least once a year for our anniversary (married at Disney in '12) but would like to do twice a year.

Here's what we're trying to figure out:

- Pay off the contract, just hang onto it and later add on resale contracts or

- Sell our Aulani contract once we pay it off, take the proceeds and buy on-property (probably BLT, BCV, or BWV.)

What would you do?

Use your existing contract to stay at WDW resorts on a fact finding vacation. After staying at the resorts, sell your existing contract and buy at your favorite WDW resort.

You could also do the numbers and maybe rent out your Aulani points if that makes better financial sense.

Everyone is different and just reading about the resorts and looking at pictures isn't the same as actually staying there.

:earsboy: Bill

Thank you, Bill. I always appreciate your insight on this board. :)

We actually kind of have been doing that, though not intentionally. We rented points for our honeymoon at AKV and BLT. Fell in love with BLT - liked AKV, but hated how long it took to get to the parks.

Came back for our 1 yr Anniversary, Ssayed at a moderate and whined to each other about how much we missed our DVC experience. :lmao: Hence, our purchase at that point.

This year we booked BWV to see how we feel about being in walking distance to Epcot - besides the accommodations at BLT, we realized how much we loved being able to walk to a park and rely a heckuva lot less on buses.

It makes me think OKW and SSR will probably be no-go's for us since we're walkers.

Thank you, Bill. I always appreciate your insight on this board. :)

We actually kind of have been doing that, though not intentionally. We rented points for our honeymoon at AKV and BLT. Fell in love with BLT - liked AKV, but hated how long it took to get to the parks.

Came back for our 1 yr Anniversary, Ssayed at a moderate and whined to each other about how much we missed our DVC experience. :lmao: Hence, our purchase at that point.

This year we booked BWV to see how we feel about being in walking distance to Epcot - besides the accommodations at BLT, we realized how much we loved being able to walk to a park and rely a heckuva lot less on buses.

It makes me think OKW and SSR will probably be no-go's for us since we're walkers.

So you still need to stay at BCV, VWL and VGF. Any chance that you can do a split stay on your next vacation? Then do a split stay on your next vacation and you will have stayed at all of the walking/monorail/boat resorts.

Also keep in mind that there are better room categories that may plus you stay. Owners know which rooms to book like BWV, boardwalk view or VGF, lake view.

BWV is a fine resort but we wouldn't like it as much if we could only get the non boardwalk view. VGF has some good standard views but you run the risk of getting a room that may not be the best view. Booking a lake view there guarantees that you will have a lake view.

So you still need to stay at BCV, VWL and VGF. Any chance that you can do a split stay on your next vacation? Then do a split stay on your next vacation and you will have stayed at all of the walking/monorail/boat resorts.

Also keep in mind that there are better room categories that may plus you stay. Owners know which rooms to book like BWV, boardwalk view or VGF, lake view.

BWV is a fine resort but we wouldn't like it as much if we could only get the non boardwalk view. VGF has some good standard views but you run the risk of getting a room that may not be the best view. Booking a lake view there guarantees that you will have a lake view.

That was kind of our thing with BWV. We're giving BCV a shot instead for three nights and then BLT for our last four. I actually tried to do BWV first, but to your point, there were no BW views available, and I thought that kinda defeated the purpose. We loved the "feel" of BCV when we walked through it previously, though I find it odd you can't really pick a view there, at least in the traditional sense that you can at the other resorts.

I know next to nothing about VWL, though we're doing HDDR there our last night since everyone says it's hysterical and we've never been. :yay: Any thoughts on that one?

I'd loooooove to give VGF a shot with a lake view, but I'm concerned about the point cost. We'd only have about 105 pts left for our second trip later this year. (Thinking Sept/Oct timeframe if we can manage it.)

That was kind of our thing with BWV. We're giving BCV a shot instead for three nights and then BLT for our last four. I actually tried to do BWV first, but to your point, there were no BW views available, and I thought that kinda defeated the purpose. We loved the "feel" of BCV when we walked through it previously, though I find it odd you can't really pick a view there, at least in the traditional sense that you can at the other resorts.

I know next to nothing about VWL, though we're doing HDDR there our last night since everyone says it's hysterical and we've never been. :yay: Any thoughts on that one?

I'd loooooove to give VGF a shot with a lake view, but I'm concerned about the point cost. We'd only have about 105 pts left for our second trip later this year. (Thinking Sept/Oct timeframe if we can manage it.)

Can you stay at VWL instead of BLT next stay since you have already stayed at BLT?

HDDR is at Fort Wilderness, VWL is at WL a boat ride or bus ride between the two. You will enjoy HDDR.

BCV really doesn't have much of a view other than the pool view.

After years of WDW stays and buying resorts without really staying there as much as we should have first, we have decided on the following.
We have picked resorts based on the parks that we like. For the MK, we will stay at VGF or VWL, for Epcot and DHS, BWV.

We also own AKV, BCV, and BLT but don't really stay there.

There will be a cost to selling and resale is at a high so I'd just keep Aulani for now and use the points for WDW. If you find your consistently unable to book your WDW stay then take a look at it again. Basically it will be a consideration of what you will lose by selling your Aulani contract vs. your need to be able to book a specific resort at WDW. If just being at WDW is important and getting specific resorts optional (or your flexible and can work around availability) I'd say that you'll be able to get a room somewhere at WDW at 7 months with your Aulani points.

Our first purchase was AKL with the idea that if we didn't like staying there we'd trade out at the 7-month mark - which is what we've done very successfully for the last 5 years except for the F&W. We find we enjoy the Epcot venues more than the MK venues. We finally bought some BCV points because we started staying at the Dolphin during F&W just because we didn't want to stay at SSR or AKL. We're debating - really debating - our AKL points. We like the AKL for the value venues and the concierge - both of which we haven't done there. Consequently our next trip is 5N in a value studio at AKL in an effort to make a decision.

I would use your points to trade...you own at a resort that has high demand in the summer (especially June). We intend to travel to Aulani in the summer, own at other high demand resorts, and I'm sure there are others in the same situation. It makes for a great deal if neither backs out... 11 month priority for both owners.

This may be a hassle, though, so it depends on your tolerance for doing some legwork.

I too say you should keep your points and try to book WDW at the 7 months window. If it doesn't work for you then you can either sell your contract,
or rent your points and then rent someone elses.

DH and I were talking the other day about our DVC contract and what we'd like to do in the future. I'm just kind of thinking out loud here, but you guys are so smart with the monetary piece and systems behind DVC, I'd be interested to get your input.

Here's our situation:

- 150 pt holders for Aulani, purchase almost a year ago. We had no clue about the resale market, and if we had we'd have gone that way, but we were "uninitiated" in the details of DVC at that point.

- We bought during a promotion where they matched the points you bought, so we have a surplus of 100 we're banking, and using the rest for our trip in two weeks.

- We wished we'd have purchased for on-site property and via resale now. (Hindsight and all that.)

- We will have the contract paid off by around August of this year.

- We go back at least once a year for our anniversary (married at Disney in '12) but would like to do twice a year.

Here's what we're trying to figure out:

- Pay off the contract, just hang onto it and later add on resale contracts or

- Sell our Aulani contract once we pay it off, take the proceeds and buy on-property (probably BLT, BCV, or BWV.)

What would you do?
Selling and rebuying will cost you money that you could put toward another purchase. In your situation I'd continue to use Aulani for WDW, you should always be able to get something at 7 months out and can wait list for more desirable resorts if you want once you have something in hand. IF you need more points and once you get this paid, you could save up and do a WDW add on.

I am in the camp of keeping your current contract unless you absolutely have to have a specific resort. There have been people on these boards willing to lose money in order to buy the resort they love. That is a personal decision. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter