Just returned from WDW

ABitDistracted

Mouseketeer
DH and I snuck down for a quick 3n trip without kids...and we stayed at Pop...and we will never do that again! LOL. It was a little crowded and overwhelming! We went to Trails End for breakfast one morning and ended up hanging out in the rocking chairs on the porch. Ahhhhh. We missed being at The Fort so much!

We got home last night and are already counting down the days until our December trip with the family :)

This is nice to hear. :)

I'm expecting the park to be very crowded for our trip in Dec- so it's nice to know FW will be a tad less packed.

We stayed in the cabins Sept. 2010 and in an RV December 2011. It was off season so it was a little quieter than directly around the holidays. We realized on this trip that we just need a mental break from the constant stimulation of the parks. And the Fort has so many recreational activities that are fun yet peaceful at the same time. Added bonus? I love seeing some of the same friendly faces at Trails End!

We send decorations down ahead so we can decorate the cabin, too. Makes it easier to spot where you need to go if you get lost at night ;)

We will be in an RV too. We'll be down Dec. 16- 21. Maybe that week will be less crowded than the next one! I'm hope anyway! When I went in 1981 (I was 11!) we went during the summer so I have no idea what it will be like.

Well thanks for the update, ABD. pixiedust:

Your comments prove once again why we campers like the Fort. It is a relaxing place and will tempt you to skip a theme park day and spend some extended time at the Fort.

Was this a "free dining" visit for you?

Bama ED

By default, yes. I surprised DH with a quick getaway for his birthday - without the kids! :). So technically it was the Play, Stay, Dine promo.

Honestly, I don't get the hoopla about free dining. It just doesn't work for us, I guess.

The Bounceback Offer was an added bonus I had forgotten about! Saved about $2000. By adjusting the dates for our Dec trip! :)

. . . ended up hanging out in the rocking chairs on the porch. Ahhhhh . . .

1) Count me in !
2) This is also one our favorite things to do at The Fort.
3) Rocking, talking, vegging, and people watching.
4) Doesn't get any better than this.

I love reading posts like this. We are headed down for 8 days next month. We will not be going to any of the parks :eek: we are just going to enjoy the fort & relax & have fun. Can't wait we are so excited!!!!! :cool1::cool1::cool1:

We go for 12 nights and get 7d park hoppers. With 3 young kids we tend to get to the parks early, leave by 1pm for naps, pool, whatever..... And sometimes we go back to the parks at night.

Can't miss the campfire and sing along. We Often go twice and wander to the beach to watch fireworks. We check out the play grounds. Go canoeing, fishing. Biking. Cruise around in the golf cart looking at the amazing Christmas displays!

I also like to take the boat to the Contemporary and then ride the monorail to each resort to look at the decorations, have a drink ad a snack :)

Right now, sitting here mid-blizzard it's fun to dream about the next trip :)

My husband and I will be going for 4 days next month to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. No parks just going to enjoy the Fort and wandering around the resorts of the world. Can't wait!:cool1:

Reading these posts makes me wonder if we're that much in the minority, or if it's mostly the few that are posting :confused3

We really, really, love FW, but it's not a destination, as such, for us. We are always on the go - parks, DTD, other resorts, etc. Have never desired to just stay all day at the Fort. We do come and go - maybe relax a couple hours with a coffee break at the MH, but that's about it.

Our memories there go back to '72, when we had a VW camper, and the Fort was a lot smaller (just MK park also). We've always loved the moment when we pull in to register - the familiar pull of we are *home*, and totally start relaxing.

We used to go to the campfire movies when our children were young, and it wasn't so noisy and disorderly, and kiddos were actually watching the movie. The last time we decided to try it, the movie may as well not been showing, a very few were *trying* to watch it. I think the thrill has mostly become the campfire, and that's ok.

Also stayed around when RC and the steam train were there, as our kids loved those. Oh, the nostalgia! ::yes::

We went to the fort in early Jan . A first for us was No Parks! we just stayed at the fort and enjoyed ourselves...Breakfast at Trails End one morning HoopDe Doo another night plus fireworks at the beach every night Took in the christmas lights at night and basically relaxed. Met some really nice folks by just being there and talking to each other..:) Never thought I wouldn't go into the parks but it was nice for a change.

We too have gone to the fort just to camp and relax! We have also rented a cabin several times and only visited the parks once. We lived in MIami 4 years and this was our favorite place to "camp"! Living in NC now I sure do miss camping there even though we have the mountains!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

We were at the Fort for 10 days at Christmas and went to the parks 3 days, DTD one day, visited a few resorts to see decorations and check our their CS.

At night walked a few loops each night to enjoy the decorations. We bike ride while most are at the parks and not as busy.

The parks are great but not the only game in town.
;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter