Just Off Fantasy

Would like to add, don't bring Visa gift cards. I was told there were accepted only in gift shops. They are not. Tried to use them towards our on board accounts at guest services. We had 4 Visa gift cards. Two $50 and two $100. Everytime I tried the $50 ones, it wasn't accepted. Manager said DCL considered a "floating hotel" and tax is applied. So we had to keep decreasing amount of $50 gift card till accepted and that was at $43. So, I lost $14. Then tried with $100. We were at $90 and still wasn't being accepted and then I gave up. I wasn't going to loose $20 plus dollars in tax to use them.
When I worked at a restaurant the cards would often attempt to authorize an amount greater than the bill so that a gratuity could be added. If you didn't have enough for gratuity then your card would be "declined." It does play havoc on visa gc but that could be another possible explanation why you couldn't run the cards for the full amount. Tax is collected by the merchant and not Visa, so I would encourage you to look up the balances on those cards, to verify you didn't actually lose out on any value.

- Dining has been very uneven. We have late dining. We didn’t finish until 10:30 - over 2 hours? We ordered a second round of drinks and the asst server came around 20 minutes and asked if we had received them / that’s sorta his job? We canceled them. Coffee wasn’t served to any table around us for dessert. The cadence of the meal was off - hopefully it will correct tonight.
Had the same issue on our Merrytime cruise on the Dream. Main server was great, but the assistant server was always slow on the drink orders/refills. We were often one of the last tables to leave the restaurant.

Had the same issue on our Merrytime cruise on the Dream. Main server was great, but the assistant server was always slow on the drink orders/refills. We were often one of the last tables to leave the restaurant.
...and that was the same for me on the Wish and Magic in August... and to a slightly lesser extent on the Wonder last March

I understand what you are saying... but what if YOURS is the 1 family who experiences a delay in receiving your bags and can't dress formal with no other official "formal" night scheduled?

I'm kind of surprised DCL didn't adjust the schedule to avoid boarding on NYE (or Christmas Eve); they have often adjusted late December and early January itineraries presumably to avoid embarkations on those dates. Maybe with more ships and so many more scheduled stops at CC they no longer have the flexibility to play with schedules.
Understand your point - but with so few dressing formal on formal night the result was the same!

Day 1: sailor
Day 2: Formal (but Minnie and Mickey not in their formal but in their plaids)
Day 3: casual Christmas sweaters
Day 4: pirates
Day 5: classic
Day 6: during the day casual Christmas, at night Ducks and munks formal, Mice christmas plaid, Santa Goofy and Pluto with a Christmas collar and after storytime with Mrs Claus Christmas sweaters
Day 7: on CC beach wear, late afternoon and early night sailor and sea Ya real soon Christmas sweaters

@Chipmunkmaniac you wouldn’t happen to know the similar rundown for Alaska right?

We are on the Fantasy now.

This is our 12th DCL cruise and our first since 2015.

- Transfers from Boardwalk and the embarkation process was smooth - best we’ve had. It was very orderly and stress free.

- The NYE cruise we were on in 2001 (Wonder), NYE was a formal night as you might expect. On this trip, it was a casual and we didn’t know until getting on the ship. 1/3 of passengers were dressed formally. I brought my tux and decided to wait until the formal night after reading the navigator. There was no clear direction on what the schedule was going to be. They gave out cool aluminum champagne cups for a toast - but no party favors as we had the last time.

NYE should have been a formal night - and they could have communicated to passengers in advance of the cruise.

- Dining has been very uneven. We have late dining. We didn’t finish until 10:30 - over 2 hours? We ordered a second round of drinks and the asst server came around 20 minutes and asked if we had received them / that’s sorta his job? We canceled them. Coffee wasn’t served to any table around us for dessert. The cadence of the meal was off - hopefully it will correct tonight.

Food quality really seems to have deteriorated. The pickup food windows were behind when we attempted lunch mid afternoon. They were out of several things. The pizza and fries were not cooked enough. I ordered a chicken panini with no sauce. The one I was given had no chicken!

Breakfast was very good.

Other notes - beer mugs are available.

In earlier years, the castaway bag or cooler was in our rooms the first day - none were given out and we have gold and plat staterooms.

Wish I had better thoughts. Weather is great and the crew is friendly. The ship is in great condition. We are on deck 7 forward and love the stateroom location.

Happy New Year!
Forgive me if you answer this later in the thread, but when were you picked up from Boardwalk for your transfer? Thanks!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter