Just Need To Vent a Bit

CarolAnnC

<font color=blue>Caught Smuggling Jello Shot Syrin
One of my DD's was having sudden severe head pain this week, so I called her doctor and got an appointment for her. Let me say here she is a college student and I have her covered under our medical plan, but this HIPPA problem makes it very hard to participate in her care, even though she always signs the necessary papers to allow me access.

Anyway, she went off to the doctor who prescribed various meds and a CAT scan for that day or the next. The nurse gave DD a phone number and a paper and said call for the appt. Well I called for the appt for her and was greeted with, well this is not an emergency but maybe we could squeeze her in tomorrow. Have her call with details from the paper I was told. So DD calls and gets someone else who gives her an appointment for the following week with scolding about not needing it right away.

DD calls me back, saying they won't listen even though she tells them the doctor said get it within the next day.

So I call them back and go round and round with them to no avail. This is a private CAT scan MRI type of place. Well I call back the nurse at doctor's office the following morning. She says well there is no rush and it is your DD's fault she could not get a babysitter for the kids !?! I quickly tell her there are no "kids" she is a kid herself in college for god's sakes.

This is so confusing just trying to type it out logically, lol. Anyway, the nurse says appointment next week for the CAT is fine...this is NOT an emergency. Well I am thinking severe head pain is not an emergency?

So I call DD back and she says but why did the doctor say to go Thursday night or Friday then? So now I am more than concerned. This doctor has offices in two towns here, so now Friday she is in the other town. I call the office there and tell her nurse the story. She starts to say, well you better call back the original nurse in the other town since she knows more about this...when I got angry. I said look the doctor is in YOUR office today right? I want the doctor involved, I want to hear from her myself that waiting a week for this CAT scan is not a problem!

She says she will call me back. I get a call back, by now it is 3 pm on Friday with the nurse all flustered saying the doctor said get that girl in for a CAT SCAN STAT!!! Right away!! So I said well she is on her way back from a class in another town, I will do my best.

Long story short, got a hold of DD and my mother took her into the hospital late yesterday afternoon for the CAT Scan (both with and without dye). We are now playing the waiting game for results. Oh, and I found out the reason nurse #1 was pushing for her to go to the private CAT scan facility instead of the hospital is because she needs to fill out additional paperwork if we went to the hospital...sigh. Guess we were just too inconvenient for her....

You handled it absolutely perfect! It can be so so so frustrating, I agree. Had you not made any headway I would have just sent her to the ER where those tests would have been performed.

I hope she gets her results quickly and all is well! I had the worst headache of my life not long ago and it was handled as an emergency. It ended up being a sinus infection that I didn't even know I had in combination with stopping long term NSAIDs.

Being diligent with the medical field is a necessity and taking responsibility to handle your health (or your child's) is a MUST. You were terrific and you taught your daughter some valuable lessons. :hug: I will be thinking about her!

Oh Carol......so frustrating and annoying...

I was saying to a nurse I know today... what is wrong? Why aren't doctors and nurses taking care of their patients. Why do we have to beg for what needs to be done and why do we have to go through these phone conversations, back and forth, why??

Please let us know how DD's tests come out....the miscommunication that is going in hospitals, between doctor's offices and hospitals, is disgraceful... The right hand does not know what the left hand is doing..

Hugs to you, I know this is stressful for you and not fair.. Give her a hug from me, please.

I hope the results come back swiftly and beautifully clean. Sorry you had to dip into the world of jerk-around medical crap. Been there, hate that!
Count to ten...
Breathe deeply...
punch a nurse...
find your zen.
:hippie:

teacup said:
punch a nurse...
That is a sentiment that both saddens and disgusts me.

CarolAnn, I hope your DD gets the test she needs without further delay. I would ask what was written on the requisition that the radiology staff did not view it as an emergency. My guess would be whoever made out the requisition checked off "routine" instead of "urgent".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter