Just got back....observation made at CRT dining

It seems like they could have just given you each one upon request as those wands and swords are super cheap, especially as compared to the overall cost of the meal (probably cost Disney less than a quarter a piece - our kids' wands and swords always end up breaking even before returning from vacation).

My guess is that the server was in a hurry and just didn't want to be inconvenienced by your request. I have found this to repeatedly be the case at CRT. Of all of the table service restaurants we've been to at WDW, this is the one where service seems, on average, to be the most rushed and least friendly. I think this is due to the popularity of the venue and the fact that the tip is already included.

I have learned that, if you deviate at all from the expected customer "processing" at CRT (e.g., by making any kind of special request that may even mildly inconvenience the restaurant staff), you run the risk of getting a surly response. That, and the mediocre food, always have me second guessing whether to ever go back (given the prices, it's a shame the food and service can't be better).

But we almost always end up doing this because we love the overall experience as a pre-park opening breakfast. We've just learned that we have to play along (somewhat like the customers in the Seinfeld Soup Nazi episode) or otherwise risk having a less than magical experience.

While I have no desire for one of those wands or swords or stars, for the price you're paying, there is no reason why they can't give adults who ask for them one. Those plastic things can't cost Disney more than a buck.

My niece asked me why they didn't bring us our wands yet and I didn't know. As I said, I looked around and everyone had them. But I turned around to only look to see who in their party had one, and everyone (adults included) had them. We were just commenting how everyone had received them and we were skipped over. But apparently the girl my niece's age and her parents took what I said the wrong way. My niece said the girl had some sort of birthmark on her neck and thought she thought we made a mean comment about that.

Our experience was wonderful minus just some weird hiccups. They were great accomondating me because of food allergies, the chef was able to make a dessert I could eat since most of the new stuff had some sort of nut in it. It was just weird with the wand/sword thing, but in the end we each got one and only one made it back in one piece. So I guess it wasn't worth the hassle to get it.

Lol, they'll be posting a thread here next about rude people gawking at their child.

I'm surprised they reacted like that, though. My daughter was born with a large, distinctive birthmark on her face, and had her last surgery at 18. As a parent, you quickly get pretty chill about people staring. So long as you weren't pointing and making rude comments or asking to be moved away from us, we wouldn't have cared at all. :)

I have learned that, if you deviate at all from the expected customer "processing" at CRT (e.g., by making any kind of special request that may even mildly inconvenience the restaurant staff), you run the risk of getting a surly response. That, and the mediocre food, always have me second guessing whether to ever go back (given the prices, it's a shame the food and service can't be better).

I agree, I feel very processed at CRT. In a way, it's good because it's efficient. But if you deviate, forget it!

Out of curiosity, do they just automatically hand a wand to the girls and a sword to the boys? Or do the kids actually get to choose which they'd like?

Nope, they automatically hand girls a wand and boys a sword. So my kids automatically exchange them with each other. LOL

we were seated and both of us were handed a wishing star, which last year I didn't even get offered it. I noticed that everyone around us were recieving them and by the time we had gotten through most of the Princesses we hadn't seen the wands/swords being handed out and finally after a few minutes we saw the guy coming around them. But he skipped our table and handed them out to everyone around us,
So what would have happened if you "wished" upon your wishing star for a wand? Disney would have a hard time explaining why their wishing stars don't allow wishes to come true. Things that make you say: "Hmmmm".

We dined there two years ago just the three of us and only our kid got anything.

What did the server say when you pointed out all the adults who had them? This was important to you; what did the manager say or do when you spoke to them about it?

The family behind us were from the UK and the mom and daughter who was about my niece's age shot dirty looks at my niece the rest of the meal, apparently they heard our conversation about the wand/sword thing. But seriously do you have to get so rude? The mom shot me a dirty look as we left and I went back to MK for a final fast pass and ran into that same family, who AGAIN shot me dirty looks and I just smiled and kept walking that time.

This really makes zero sense. I think you misconstrued whatever was going on with their faces. Perhaps they were concerned that you had t gotten the items you wanted? Perhaps she had a hard to read face? Perhaps she was dealing with GI issues? Since I have one of those faces, I have great empathy for others who have them, and I urge the importance of never assuming something negative from a look, especially when there is absolutely no reason for there to be a negative look and feeling.

Our server wasn't all that "nice" either she had an attitude, when I asked about my niece's special treat (Cinderella's slipper dessert) she was like "I gotcha!" Like blew me off kind of rudely about that.

You asked for something, she quickly said or acted like "I gotcha" and came back with it. I don't feel the rudeness in "I gotcha" and don't understand the problem there.

But apparently the girl my niece's age and her parents took what I said the wrong way. My niece said the girl had some sort of birthmark on her neck and thought she thought we made a mean comment about that.

Ok so you think they misunderstood what you guys were saying. I'm guessing that someone misunderstood something, most definitely! But if you think it's that, that they thought you had said something rude about the birthmark, surely you would understand it and either clear it up or not complain about it?

So what would have happened if you "wished" upon your wishing star for a wand? Disney would have a hard time explaining why their wishing stars don't allow wishes to come true. Things that make you say: "Hmmmm".

I can't remember where I heard it now, must have been a parade or a show I guess...but I distinctly remember Mickey saying, "Make a wish and your dream MIGHT come true." Maybe the lawyers got to him! :)

Prior to this past trip with our infant twins, it has just been dh and I for the last 15 years. We have eaten at CRT for dinner probably every other trip or so and have always gotten stars and plastic toys at our table for two. So sad they changed the policy.

Just went about a week ago and as you came in they did the standard give a wand/sword to the kids. However, in the middle of the meal there was a server who seemed to make a big deal about it and handed them out to his tables. My guess is it was a server who was looking to get a better tip. Servers tend to cover a section so it is entirely likely that a server may be doing their own thing.

I will say for being the most expensive character meal, breakfast at CRT seems to have the smallest portions. It was filling, but compared to most restaurants the portions tend to be much larger.

We've often used tables in Wonderland and I wonder if we should just wait until the end of the meal, because they never adjust the ticket until that time and occasionally, I feel like the servers realize that no matter what they do, they are going to get the standard 18% gratuity from Table In Wonderland. We special ordered two slippers for my girls and the server wouldn't give us the TIW discount, which I never have run into.

When we ate there in May my two daughters (4 and 1) got wands and wishing stars. DH, my mom, and I didn't get anything. Yes, those wands break too easily. One of them was broken before we got home.

So would you say it would be a good idea to pack a little bit of duct tape on my CRT morning? My daughter will be 3 and she's pretty much a destructor whether she means to or not.

So would you say it would be a good idea to pack a little bit of duct tape on my CRT morning? My daughter will be 3 and she's pretty much a destructor whether she means to or not.
The wand is a dollar store find or Oriental Trading thing, really. There's nothing really "Disney" about it. It's generic. We've gotten them at princess theme birthday parties. It's just a thin dowel with a woven mylar "cover" over it, and a flimsy star on top. The mylar tends to fray right away, then it quickly comes undone right up the length of it. There isn't much to it to duct tape, and if the star comes off, there's really no way to tape it back on.

Hmm... this is the picture of it that I googled, Wishing-Star-Wand.jpg I don't remember it being that substantial, but we also got wands twice at our resort from the doorman, and they were definitely the above described kind. I'm sure someone else can confirm what the wand looks like.

The wand is a dollar store find or Oriental Trading thing, really. There's nothing really "Disney" about it. It's generic. We've gotten them at princess theme birthday parties. It's just a thin dowel with a woven mylar "cover" over it, and a flimsy star on top. The mylar tends to fray right away, then it quickly comes undone right up the length of it. There isn't much to it to duct tape, and if the star comes off, there's really no way to tape it back on.

Hmm... this is the picture of it that I googled, Wishing-Star-Wand.jpg I don't remember it being that substantial, but we also got wands twice at our resort from the doorman, and they were definitely the above described kind. I'm sure someone else can confirm what the wand looks like.

I went in June last year and the wands were the same one as shown in your picture.

Also, my sister and I were the only people in our party and we both bot wands and 1 wishing star and we were 30 at the time.

I have never been to CRT, but this description makes this thread even more baffling to me. If I were eating there, I would probably more offended by a server giving me one more piece of planet-poisoning cheap plastic junk that I'm now responsible for throwing away the instant I leave the restaurant.

I love CRT. My DSs always get a sword. I always get a wand & a star but I strongly suspect my husband alerts the CM when we are seated to be sure I get one. He knows CRT is the little sprinkle of pink in the middle of my muddy, sports & hunting filled boy life. I agree the server is the key - a good one (at any TS) can make an experience shine or can really drain all the magic out of it. Sounds like you simply got a Dud... Sorry! :-(

I took my sisters there during the wedding trip as a thank you for being my bridesmaids, and the guy skipped by us as well! We were 25, 24, and 20 at the time. So my middle sister just stopped him when he walked by and said "Excuse me sir, but will we be getting wands like all the other princesses?" and he apologized and brought them over right away! It was so Disney of her I loved it! I think it we never asked he would have just skipped right on by.

Although I'm kind of glad the tip is already included in the cost of this meal (it's a hassle to have to think about paying...), I bet the servers would be more attentive and Disney Like if the tip wasn't already included in the bill. Just sayin'

Yeah as really you would think the tip at a place like that, would come at the cost of the meal. That would be included.

Why would the family behind you care if you asked for a wand/sword and then start giving you dirty looks? Strange.

We were there this past Friday for a late breakfast and had the worst experience ever (mainly due to the server). We were 3 adult women and our waiter said "you don't want a wand, do you?". I didn't know what it was or what it was used for. After seeing the "wishing" experience (we couldn't hear it), we would have taken one (my DS is into the princess "thing"). Overall, our experience was so poor we spoke to a manager about a refund.
I found it strange that our waiter didn't have a name tag on - we all swear he had one on when we sat down, but definitely did not have it after about 1/2 way through the meal. I watched the tables around us and we all received the same (lousy) service.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter