Just curious-consecutive Dopeys?

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
I'm just wondering (actually DH wondered) how many people have done the Dopey consecutive years and if so, how many years? DH did the Dopey in 2016, but when it came time to register for 2017, he said it was kind of like having a baby:)-don't ask right afterwards if you'd do it again! Actually he decided that it had taken so much training time to do properly that he probably wouldn't do it again. He's wondering if it was because he waited until after he retired before he did it the first time and the post-65 age body doesn't recover as fast. He was just speculating that, if he'd done it when he was younger, he might have the stamina to do it multiple times. So who has?

I'm just wondering (actually DH wondered) how many people have done the Dopey consecutive years and if so, how many years? DH did the Dopey in 2016, but when it came time to register for 2017, he said it was kind of like having a baby:)-don't ask right afterwards if you'd do it again! Actually he decided that it had taken so much training time to do properly that he probably wouldn't do it again. He's wondering if it was because he waited until after he retired before he did it the first time and the post-65 age body doesn't recover as fast. He was just speculating that, if he'd done it when he was younger, he might have the stamina to do it multiple times. So who has?

The Dopey Challenge has occurred three times thus far (2014, 2015, and 2016). Based on an estimate put together by @opusone there have been roughly 937 people who have completed each of the first three years. This is not an exact number because some people could have changed names, switched spellings of their name, or used different first names (William vs Billy) during different registrations. These things in @opusone 's analysis may not catch everyone. But it is a very good estimate.

I have personally completed the Dopey Challenge all 3 years and have signed up for 2017 and intend on continuing to sign up for the foreseeable future. I like to treat it like my mini-Olympics with competing in different race distances over the course of several days.

ETA: While Disney does not officially compile the Dopey results, the excel wizard @opusone has. It allows people who wish to see their total Dopey time rank across gender, divisions and overall. It's another motivator for me as I would like to finish near the top some day. I was #160 out of 6323 in 2016. If I ever get good enough (which is a very far off likelihood), then maybe win it all. I added a screen shot of the file since it is too large to upload here (although @opusone probably has a trick to do it) as an example of the rankings from 2016.

Screen Shot 2016-12-04 at 11.51.31 AM.png

Attachments

• Dopey Legacy 2014-2016.pdf
    62.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I have personally completed the Dopey Challenge all 3 years and have signed up for 2017 and intend on continuing to sign up for the foreseeable future. I like to treat it like my mini-Olympics with competing in different race distances over the course of several days.

Wow, that's fantastic that you've done it.

While Disney does not officially compile the Dopey results, the excel wizard @opusone has. It allows people who wish to see their total Dopey time rank across gender, divisions and overall. It's another motivator for me as I would like to finish near the top some day. I was #160 out of 6323 in 2016. If I ever get good enough (which is a very far off likelihood), then maybe win it all. I added a screen shot of the file since it is too large to upload here (although @opusone probably has a trick to do it) as an example of the rankings from 2016.

Here is a link to the complete list of 2016 results: 2016 Dopey Ranked Results

Based on an estimate put together by @opusone there have been roughly 937 people who have completed each of the first three years. This is not an exact number because some people could have changed names, switched spellings of their name, or used different first names (William vs Billy) during different registrations. These things in @opusone 's analysis may not catch everyone. But it is a very good estimate.

A while back, I improved my method to be as accurate as possible with the limited data we have, and we are currently at 907 perfectly Dopey runners (folks that have run Dopey all three years). I now believe this is fairly accurate (likely within 10-15 runners of the true number). The one thing I cannot easily check for is LAST name misspellings or name changes (marriage) over the years since the last name is the one data field I rely on to be constant. My methodology does account for first name misspellings/nicknames/etc as well as common full names that might appear to be the same person (but sometimes are not). I use the age and hometown fields to help test for possible first name and full name issues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter