just booked a surprise bday weekend trip - concerned about possible capacity closing

stewpette

Mouseketeer
Hi all-
I apologize in advance I havent been on these boards in years and am not up to date with what is going on, but I read that Universal Parks were closed today due to capacity. We found super cheap flights yesterday and just booked a surprise trip for us for next weekend for my daughters 17th, got her bff a flight and ticket also :) (arriving 11:55pm Friday night 10/23 -departing 3pm Monday 10/26) which will give us all day Sat and all day Sun and a few hours Mon in the parks. I was looking online this morning for park hours to start getting together a little plan for our days and saw that the park was closed for capacity. It also showed the park closed tomorrow (10/18) for capacity... I'm trying to understand how it is already closed for tomorrow?? Im not sure where to look for this info. I just want to be sure we can get into the parks next weekend, we are staying offsite so wont have early admission. Can anyone give me some guidance as far as what I need to do in order to get into the parks next weekend. I might actually be sick if I just paid all this money for flights and hotel and tickets and we cant get in... Please help this overly anxious mom!! Thanks!

If it’s closed for capacity, will it open back up as people leave? Or if it’s closed, it’s closed?

We are here right now (like in line for Jurassic Park). It is crowded as heck. It was at capacity last weekend as well (Columbus Day weekend). There are schools on break this week- not sure about next.

Is there anyway you can change to on site? We still got in this morning even though the parks were “full.”

Otherwise... get there at opening. Before opening, actually. The earliest they let you get to parking (or take an uber, I guess). Hotels aren’t at capacity (like half are completely closed), but supposedly all hotel guests are included in the capacity limit.

We are here now. Got to the parks about 1045 and it closed to capacity shortly after. We have EP which is a lifesaver. Everyone looked so miserable is the standby lines. Everything has been completely packed all day. I would get here as early as possible for sure. I will say, at 4pm when we went back to the hotel, although it said at capacity, but they were letting people in. Also the best thing we did was make a reservation for lunch in the parks! The prices are only $1-2 more than quick service but better quality food. Also, EVERY food line was extremely long, even for a pretzel, at least 15 people deep. The butterbeer line was across the bridge into jurassic park.....everything was crazy for food.

We are here right now (like in line for Jurassic Park). It is crowded as heck. It was at capacity last weekend as well (Columbus Day weekend). There are schools on break this week- not sure about next.

Is there anyway you can change to on site? We still got in this morning even though the parks were “full.”

Otherwise... get there at opening. Before opening, actually. The earliest they let you get to parking (or take an uber, I guess). Hotels aren’t at capacity (like half are completely closed), but supposedly all hotel guests are included in the capacity limit.

Does that mean if you are a hotel guest (im staying at hard rock in NOV and bought annual pass) you are exempt if park is closed for capacity?

Ok I switched my reservation to Royal Pacific this way I dont have to worry about not getting in and we also get express passes which are SO EXPENSIVE next weekend if purchased separately ugh!! This was going to be a "cheap vacation" using Hilton points to book 2 rooms for 3 nights so the girls could have their own room (16 yr olds). But now we are all in one room at Royal Pacific and I had too book it for 5 nights because they arent allowing shorter bookings. This has turned into a very expensive "quick birthday weekend away" lol.

Does that mean if you are a hotel guest (im staying at hard rock in NOV and bought annual pass) you are exempt if park is closed for capacity?
Yes, at least to some level- we got in after capacity was made. It’s possible they have different levels where hotel guests are not allowed in, but that hasn’t happened yet.

We are here now. Got to the parks about 1045 and it closed to capacity shortly after. We have EP which is a lifesaver. Everyone looked so miserable is the standby lines. Everything has been completely packed all day. I would get here as early as possible for sure. I will say, at 4pm when we went back to the hotel, although it said at capacity, but they were letting people in. Also the best thing we did was make a reservation for lunch in the parks! The prices are only $1-2 more than quick service but better quality food. Also, EVERY food line was extremely long, even for a pretzel, at least 15 people deep. The butterbeer line was across the bridge into jurassic park.....everything was crazy for food.
How did you make a reservation for lunch, and for which restaurant?

We did Mythos and Finnigans. We loved Mythos and had superb service. Finnigans was just okay, nothing terrible but everything was just okay. You can make them on the website under dining. Just choose the restaurant and click on reserve.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!